My brother and I are in a situation where we could end up taking on the roll of promotors of the Norwegian Rally Championship.
The desicion will fall whitin a couple of months, and there is quit a heavy meeting scedual between the different parties (organizers, drivers, the Norwegian Association for Motorsport, etc.)

Because we are in this situation I have used quite a lot of time analyzing rallying as a product. My line of work is in concept development, and has been as diverce as from TV-series, childrens books, ice cream, rallying/motorsport, to newspapers and magazines.

The process of analyzing this is to lay the grounds of what has the aim of being a sustainable and positive development of the Norwegian Rally Championship.

I have studied a lot of different motorsports to find the common denominators, and to find the differences. The differences is something one could build on to create a "blue ocean strategy", the term is coined from one of the "Bibles" in the field of concept development.
Find a driection for Your strategy that seperates You from Your competition.

After a lot of thinking (sometimes things move a bit slow), I have come up with a tag line that I think Could work well for the development of the Norwegian Rally Championship, and that could easily be transferred to the WRC. And that is: Rally - The Motorsport That Comes To You.

Almoast all other forms of motorsports, or sports as a whole, is played out in arenas. Rallying is not. This means that the "arena" of rallying can be moved to the people.
To build up on this strategy I have started to see in how many ways Rallying can "Come To You", or get close to the spectators, fans etc. I will list up what I have come up with so far, and if You feel that You want to contribute, I would be very glad to recieve more ideas.
If we end up taking over as promotors of the Norwegian Rally Championship I can promise that we will test out ideas that is sugested in this thread. In other words, You will have a real chance to have a say in things.

Rally - The Motorsport That Comes To You.

Geographically:
- Make stages accesible for fans/spectators.
- Make service areas accesible for fans/spectators.

Experiential:
- Use the MINI RallyTaxi to let fans/specators get a feel for the sport by being passengers.
- Use other means to let the fans get an experience, like having a rally simulator present etc.
- Let the fans try out things like changing a wheel in a timed competition in the service area.

Media:
- TV: Make rallying vissible on TV (we are in the prosess of signing a three year deal with the national broadcaster in Norway, if we can do some changes to liven up the competition)
- Magazine: Make a rally magazine that doubles as a program for each rally. Then You can both sell it as a program, and on subscription basis.
- Radio: Make a common guideline for how the radio should work on a rally
- Web: Make a common site for the Championship, so that everything happens in one site, and not on each of the organizers sites.
- Facebook: Make a common FB page
- Twitter: Make a common Twitter account
- Instagram: Make a common Instagram account
- Press releases/planting of stories: Do this out of one channel, both locally, regionally, and nationally

Show:
- Exibit rallycars: Exibit rally cars or relevant objects to make something more of the service park.
- Exibit photo: Make a traveling photo exibition/competition on the service parks to show og "the best of rallying"
- Fair: Have other exibits like ATV, farming, etc etc, to get vendors to make an even bigger show.
- Children: Make activities for children to recruit new fans. This could be RC competitions, etc etc.

Interactivly:
- Let the fans compete them self via a video game (how, when, where is to be figured out.)

These are some idea, if You have more, lets hear them!