Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 887 Times in 277 Posts

Rally - The Motorsport That Comes To You

My brother and I are in a situation where we could end up taking on the roll of promotors of the Norwegian Rally Championship.
    The desicion will fall whitin a couple of months, and there is quit a heavy meeting scedual between the different parties (organizers, drivers, the Norwegian Association for Motorsport, etc.)

Because we are in this situation I have used quite a lot of time analyzing rallying as a product. My line of work is in concept development, and has been as diverce as from TV-series, childrens books, ice cream, rallying/motorsport, to newspapers and magazines.

The process of analyzing this is to lay the grounds of what has the aim of being a sustainable and positive development of the Norwegian Rally Championship.

I have studied a lot of different motorsports to find the common denominators, and to find the differences. The differences is something one could build on to create a "blue ocean strategy", the term is coined from one of the "Bibles" in the field of concept development.
    Find a driection for Your strategy that seperates You from Your competition.

After a lot of thinking (sometimes things move a bit slow), I have come up with a tag line that I think Could work well for the development of the Norwegian Rally Championship, and that could easily be transferred to the WRC. And that is: Rally - The Motorsport That Comes To You.

Almoast all other forms of motorsports, or sports as a whole, is played out in arenas. Rallying is not. This means that the "arena" of rallying can be moved to the people.
    To build up on this strategy I have started to see in how many ways Rallying can "Come To You", or get close to the spectators, fans etc. I will list up what I have come up with so far, and if You feel that You want to contribute, I would be very glad to recieve more ideas.
    If we end up taking over as promotors of the Norwegian Rally Championship I can promise that we will test out ideas that is sugested in this thread. In other words, You will have a real chance to have a say in things.

Rally - The Motorsport That Comes To You.

Geographically:
    - Make stages accesible for fans/spectators.
    - Make service areas accesible for fans/spectators.

Experiential:
    - Use the MINI RallyTaxi to let fans/specators get a feel for the sport by being passengers.
    - Use other means to let the fans get an experience, like having a rally simulator present etc.
    - Let the fans try out things like changing a wheel in a timed competition in the service area.

Media:
    - TV: Make rallying vissible on TV (we are in the prosess of signing a three year deal with the national broadcaster in Norway, if we can do some changes to liven up the competition)
    - Magazine: Make a rally magazine that doubles as a program for each rally. Then You can both sell it as a program, and on subscription basis.
    - Radio: Make a common guideline for how the radio should work on a rally
    - Web: Make a common site for the Championship, so that everything happens in one site, and not on each of the organizers sites.
    - Facebook: Make a common FB page
    - Twitter: Make a common Twitter account
    - Instagram: Make a common Instagram account
    - Press releases/planting of stories: Do this out of one channel, both locally, regionally, and nationally

Show:
    - Exibit rallycars: Exibit rally cars or relevant objects to make something more of the service park.
    - Exibit photo: Make a traveling photo exibition/competition on the service parks to show og "the best of rallying"
    - Fair: Have other exibits like ATV, farming, etc etc, to get vendors to make an even bigger show.
    - Children: Make activities for children to recruit new fans. This could be RC competitions, etc etc.

Interactivly:
    - Let the fans compete them self via a video game (how, when, where is to be figured out.)

These are some idea, if You have more, lets hear them!
    https://www.facebook.com/noseendfirst?ref=hl#

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Good luck!!

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    Good luck!!
    We need it!

Liked 227 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundefaret View Post
    We need it!
    As a side note regarding the title of your post: isn't the name of the sport "Rallying", rather than "Rally"? I have noticed this creeping in recently. The sport, as far back as I can remember, has always been called Rallying.

Quote Originally Posted by RAS007 View Post
    As a side note regarding the title of your post: isn't the name of the sport "Rallying", rather than "Rally"? I have noticed this creeping in recently. The sport, as far back as I can remember, has always been called Rallying.
    We call it rally in Norway, and its called World Rally Championship, but my native language is by no means English, so if Rallying is the more correct term i second that

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundefaret View Post
    We call it rally in Norway, and its called World Rally Championship, but my native language is by no means English, so if Rallying is the more correct term i second that

It's rally in the other languages I either speak or can read:
    Sweden: rally
    Finland: ralli
    France: rallye
    Italy: rally
    Germany: rally
    Hell even Greek is rallly.
    Cantonese: rally
    Russian: rally..

Ras, the ending "ing" has it's equivalents of those dialects (joking a wee bit, they are other languages, but they're all so close its like they're just small variations) where your English derived from: German and what eventually became the different Skandihoovian languages which despite what you might think are really just a slight dialect difference from what's spoken in the recent past up some of the dales of Yorkshire.

In Greman its now "ung", in the Northern languages its usually "ning" but generally its used in the same way as in Anglais..
    Here's some clear talk on it:
    http://yourdailygerman.wordpress.com...ing-erfahrung/

In short it is an "English-ism" to say rally-ing" -----just like saying "motor-cross" is one thing--used world-wide and then you Angles and Saxons used to say "scrambling"..
    Evidently you like the sound of the ing at the end..
    Nobody else does.
    The sport is RALLY
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quite right and I've changed the forums subject name to match!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 227 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Quite right and I've changed the forums subject name to match!
    I think I will continue to refer to it as Rallying, as I and many others have done since Moses wore shorts...

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    I've always known it as Rallying - even going back to Top Gear Rally Report. I even remember the newspapers describing it as Motor Rallying, to differentiate from Motor Racing.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Good luck to you and your brother. The slogan you’ve chose is great and the program very complete. I don’t have any clue on the Norwegian national championship, still I suggest some ideas that worked ok in others countries and can contribute for the sport promotion:

- Fans: implement a junior team (a sort of GT Academy), in order to give young fans, with zero or very limited experience, the chance to practice the sport and to progress in it.

- Media: invite media members to drive in a demonstrational mini-rally, with basic rally cars and experienced co-drivers. It’s a way to generic press, tv or radio get a proper idea of what rally is.

- Social Responsibility: in each rally donate to a different aid organization a fraction of the driver’s entry fee.

- Environmental Care: promote in every rally a concrete initiative in order to reduce the sport footstep (tree planting, forest cleaning, etc).

- Show: try always to associate special landmarks (heritage sites or buildings, etc) to the rally route. They look good in TV footage and press photos!
    Rally addict since 1982