Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Sorry , we know you won , but you weren't loud enough , so you're disqualified .

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Sorry , we know you won , but you weren't loud enough , so you're disqualified .
    Ha! I did comment to the wife that maybe Vettel will blame his early qually exit either on the fuel flow sensor or the engine being too quiet!
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    Not a big fan of Vettel, but I must say that from outward appearances he is handling the major issues with the PU without an abundance of whining....lately.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho View Post
    would it be beyond the realms of poosibility to turn up the trackside microphones in relation to the commentary team, so the cars "seem" louder? most of us would have no idea that this was artificial, and, as it was before, i am sure that in real life the cars are louder than they seem on the the telly.

To me, 3 races in, and i've pretty match forgotten about the new funny noses and the noise - they both seem normal, as long as the racing continues in the same vein as at Bahrain (our 1st dry weekend) i'll be happy

I'm more than happy with the new engine notes. I like being able to hear the tires and the wear planks bottoming on occasion. It's nothing like the ear bleeding note that the V8 cars made, but to go to lengths to try to change the exhaust sound is rather crazy IMO. If it's about tech and promoting tech as F1 has always done, then it's an example that big power doesn't have to be made with big decibels.

I'm sure that live the cars are far from quiet, but I don't think people really have a proper perspective of just how crazy loud the V8 cars were.

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts
    The engines don't sound that great, but the racing has been so fierce that it doesn't matter to me. these engines are the sound of the future so we'de better get used to them. Whether we like it or not, the sport is bent on a "green" footprint, and eliminating the noise pollution (regardless of how much we love that kind of pollution) is simply going be part of the plan.

It's the only way that such a gleefully wasteful sport can survive in today's insane political environment.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

Question Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko View Post
    But he's right! Fans that want loud cars and no fuel restrictions will get in the way of road relevance, and using the technical bods mass test bed of knowledge to vastly increase the speed at which road cars become more fuel efficient and have electric cars that don't need recharging jaust as you pull off your drive to go on holiday!

If it was noise I wanted, I'd stop the housekeeping payments to my wife!

If was gas guzzlers I wanted, I'd fly to the States and stand by the motorway (sorry, freeway).

If you don't like the new for 2014 F1 sound, go stand next to the chap digging up the road with a jack hammer.......

Sgt Bilko- Yes of course F1 does need to road relevant... but if you actually bothered to read my original reply to Phillip Bain before trying to make me look a Bearded tit you will see that I was only suggesting that there needs to be a better balance because a large fan base IS extremely important, something so obvious that it should go without saying.
    Almost everyone I know with even the remotest interest in F1 has commented on how dull they sound this year, you can't afford to ignore that.

F1 is not the best test bed/proving ground for the development and evolution of new innovative green technologies with its extremely tight, fixed regulations. F1 just needs to show that it is doing something towards being environmentally friendly without going OTT on the green side to the extent that the 'show' is adversely affected.

Me? Yeah, being a TV race watcher I much preferred the howl of the V8's but wow!... what great wheel to wheel racing we enjoyed last weekend and unless Mercedes decide to put a stop to it, we could be in for a real treat this year.
    Last edited by Zico; 8th April 2014 at 19:58.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    It does make me wonder exactly where they will go with this.

F1 has evolved over the years but the ear destroying sound has always been the constant.

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty View Post
    NO TC EVER EVER EVER AGAIN!

Sorry to shout, but F1 made that mistake for 2001, thinking traction control needed another chance. It was such a slog to get rid of it. Now those for me were the bad old days.

I know what you're saying but I don't see the DRS as any sort of brilliance. For me, we are in the bad old days.

With the new engines and difficult rear ends of today's cars, selective TC on specific corners could achieve the same as the DRS but in a different form.

Rather than passes at the end of a straight that are not able to be defended, TC at select corners could see a whole slew of new elements introduced to the races.

Different lines for following cars to avoid rear ending the car in front for one.

When the beneficial effect of TC becomes equalised then we may see wheel to wheel races down the straight finishing at the end. Straight line speed becomes more important.

As long as there is the DRS then I don't believe any option can be seen as unsuitable.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Sgt Bilko- Yes of course F1 does need to road relevant... but if you actually bothered to read my original reply to Phillip Bain before trying to make me look a Bearded tit you will see that I was only suggesting that there needs to be a better balance because a large fan base IS extremely important, something so obvious that it should go without saying.
    Almost everyone I know with even the remotest interest in F1 has commented on how dull they sound this year, you can't afford to ignore that.

F1 is not the best test bed/proving ground for the development and evolution of new innovative green technologies with its extremely tight, fixed regulations. F1 just needs to show that it is doing something towards being environmentally friendly without going OTT on the green side to the extent that the 'show' is adversely affected.

Me? Yeah, being a TV race watcher I much preferred the howl of the V8's but wow!... what great wheel to wheel racing we enjoyed last weekend and unless Mercedes decide to put a stop to it, we could be in for a real treat this year.
    Bearded tit? I had you more as a Dartford Warbler.

PS - I wasn't aiming my post entirely at you - and it wasn't intended to be personal. Just that I think in the current climate, road relevance over waste and excess is much more important that guaranteeing dentists income by having your fillings knocked out by the noise!
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    As has been already mentioned, unless attending a live event (which is a fraction of the global audience), the sounds of the sport are only as good the microphone pickups at the track, along with the quality of the viewer’s home audio equipment.

As someone who has not attended a live event in years, the sound of today’s cars makes little impact on my interest (or disinterest to be precise) in viewing a televised race .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti