Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Plank scrape .
    Anyone heard that before ?

It was one of the sounds that I heard this race , and I had never heard it before .

I have heard the blast of the V10s and the wails of the V8s in person , and so , understand the feelings that have people so passionate about the sound of F1 past .

But , I quickly forgot about the former ear-splitting , when I started to hear sounds that were more subtle , like that plank scrape .

I hope now that they can't figure out how to change it to make it louder .

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    I'm almost speechless! Seriously?
    But he's right! Fans that want loud cars and no fuel restrictions will get in the way of road relevance, and using the technical bods mass test bed of knowledge to vastly increase the speed at which road cars become more fuel efficient and have electric cars that don't need recharging jaust as you pull off your drive to go on holiday!

If it was noise I wanted, I'd stop the housekeeping payments to my wife!

If was gas guzzlers I wanted, I'd fly to the States and stand by the motorway (sorry, freeway).

If you don't like the new for 2014 F1 sound, go stand next to the chap digging up the road with a jack hammer.......
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko View Post
    But he's right! Fans that want loud cars and no fuel restrictions will get in the way of road relevance, and using the technical bods mass test bed of knowledge to vastly increase the speed at which road cars become more fuel efficient and have electric cars that don't need recharging jaust as you pull off your drive to go on holiday!

If was gas guzzlers I wanted, I'd fly to the States and stand by the motorway (sorry, freeway).

If you don't like the new for 2014 F1 sound, go stand next to the chap digging up the road with a jack hammer.......
    Or continue to watch F1 in the hope they adjust the sound. The technology can still be relevant and I am yet to own a car that has ever sounded like an F1 car! I think there is a compromise here to suit car manufacturers and fans who enjoy the sport. Its not as easy as just telling people to stop watching if they don't like something. Since when has that been an answer?

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko View Post

Bitch slap. Ouch.

When we're standing next to the guy with the jackhammer, should we give him our money as well?

Saying that F1 fans who like the smell of high octane fuel and industrial deafness are not wanted anymore might be the new strategy. F1 goes stupid (grooved tyres) and then comes to its sensors (pardon the pun).

Thing is, it might be too late for 2014. They've already gone down the ERS route. Change one thing, fine. Change a hundred things, not fine.

They may hope that the engineers can come up with something but the V6's might not let them do much. Rev higher, limit exhaust harnessing, increase fuel consumption, who knows.

One quick way out would be to allow teams to run last years cars/engines if they so desire - with a lot of restrictions/handicapping. If half the field takes up this option then it might save some of the furniture. Ferrari anyone?

I've got nothing against battery operated cars but if I wanted to watch them race I would. ERS/Battery technology didn't make F1 folklore what it is today and over-enthusiastic adoption of ERS/battery technology could have quite a negative affect on the image of F1.

It could be argued that just because its called F1 doesn't actually make it F1.

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philipbain View Post
    It seems that "noise" lobby have been heard and the teams with the FIA are looking into how to ...... though for me, having races of the quality of yesterday's is a higher priority!

Link: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113317
    of course top quality racing is the higher priority, even for so-called "noise" lobbyists like me and henners. We just enjoy racing and race cars more if they also have an exciting, loud engine sound - not necessarily noise.
    BBC Sport seems to have an axe to grind about people who want to hear the engines and seem to think that the low noise/high efficiency engines are the sole reason of such a great race.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    NO TC EVER EVER EVER AGAIN!

Sorry to shout, but F1 made that mistake for 2001, thinking traction control needed another chance. It was such a slog to get rid of it. Now those for me were the bad old days.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    would it be beyond the realms of poosibility to turn up the trackside microphones in relation to the commentary team, so the cars "seem" louder? most of us would have no idea that this was artificial, and, as it was before, i am sure that in real life the cars are louder than they seem on the the telly.

To me, 3 races in, and i've pretty match forgotten about the new funny noses and the noise - they both seem normal, as long as the racing continues in the same vein as at Bahrain (our 1st dry weekend) i'll be happy
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Do you guys want to the noise to be artificially increased?

Surely, the sound has something to do with character of the cars rather than sound for sound's sake?

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    They could hire Michael Winslow?

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer View Post
    They could hire Michael Winslow?
    Brilliant.

If anyone can get 24 starving monsters to sound like a field of F1 cars he can.

They had a microphone mounted which the cars were going over at high speed.

The sound of the cars took me back to younger days playing cowboys and using my finger as a pretend gun - pioww pioww pioww.

If they do go for a minimum dB rule and let the brains trust at it we'll need a separate thread for helpful suggestions.