Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
    More R5 cars

Marcos Ligato seems to be close to get one of the three Citroën C3 R5 from that the Israel family own in Chile. The car is from 2019 and it would be buy by Tango Rally team. Ligato said that the idea is to have the car ready for the Rally Argentina event in april 16-18.

Miguel Baldoni seems to be moving too to the new top category, as news say that he would be driving a second Hyundai R5 from Point Cola team.

My friends at Point Cola Racing, told me that the Skoda from CBTech are using the evo2 engine, but the rest of the car remains unupdated. Meanwhile the Hyundai will get an updated version of the engine for the next race, as it was very noticeable the lack of final speed compared with the Skoda cars.

If all this become a reality, we will have six R5 cars and a Ford Fiesta waiting for a driver.

Skoda Fabia - Jorge Martinez
    Skoda Fabia - Alejandro Cancio
    Skoda Fabia - Juan Alonso
    Skoda Fabia - Dennis Romero
    Hyundai i20 - Martin Scuncio
    Hyundai i20 - Miguel Baldoni
    Citroën C3 - Marcos Ligato.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Any idea what is the power of the MRT cars with that restrictor? It's same size as current WRC cars and roughly 25% larger than of R5 cars. The cars shall be very powerful.
    With the 34mm restrictor the engines were producing around 305-315 HP depending of the tuner who build the engine and the ECU maps. With an estimated 15HP per mm now the engines should be around 330-340hp. They are using watter sprayers over the intercooler too.

Some drivers are happy with the extra power, but others aren't. The experiment to try to make the MR cars close to the R5 cars didn't went well, as the MR cars only were able to won 2 or 3 SS in three events.

It looks like they are going back to 34mm restrictor for the next race and I think is the better idea, as you could see the cars spinning the wheels like driving on ice.

IMO the MR cars should follow the N5 route, with a common ECU setting and better transmision.

3. Likes: Mirek (17th March 2021)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
    With the 34mm restrictor the engines were producing around 305-315 HP depending of the tuner who build the engine and the ECU maps. With an estimated 15HP per mm now the engines should be around 330-340hp. They are using watter sprayers over the intercooler too.

Some drivers are happy with the extra power, but others aren't. The experiment to try to make the MR cars close to the R5 cars didn't went well, as the MR cars only were able to won 2 or 3 SS in three events.

It looks like they are going back to 34mm restrictor for the next race and I think is the better idea, as you could see the cars spinning the wheels like driving on ice.

IMO the MR cars should follow the N5 route, with a common ECU setting and better transmision.
    Thank you
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

5. Likes: Damian Baldi (17th March 2021)
    Liked 168 Times in 98 Posts

And in general the MR cars weren't that close to the R5 cars in Rally Pagos de Tuyú, where this extra power on the high speed stages could have made some differences, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Co-driven View Post
    And in general the MR cars weren't that close to the R5 cars in Rally Pagos de Tuyú, where this extra power on the high speed stages could have made some differences, right?
    Well, Madariaga (where Pagos del Tuyu was run) isn't the classic flat rally with long straights with chicanes and 90 degree corners. Instead it's a rally with high long speed corners.

Another thing to take in mind, is that the gearbox ratios are the same as before, so with more power the cars reach the rev limit earlier. The key with the bigger restrictor is to accelerate in the best possible way to reach that limit early. In other words, the bigger restrcitor idea was an incomplete idea because it was just about power without taking in mind all the other items needed.
    Last edited by Damian Baldi; 17th March 2021 at 14:51.

Miguel Baldoni has confirmed that will be driving a Hyundai i20 R5 of Point Cola Racing the rest of the year. After Pagos del Tuyu Rally, Hyundai cars will receive an engine update, as it was very noticeable the difference with the Skoda cars.

Marcos Ligato will receive his Citroën C3 R5 next week, but his previous owner (Benjamin Israel) has confirmed that the car doesn't have any update, it's basically a 2019 version.

Dennis Romero's brand new Skoka Fabia (Nro 265), will arrive in 2019 version without any of the new updated. The driver confirmed that the update would cost aroung 80.000 EURO, so it will have to wait.

Liked 168 Times in 98 Posts
    Dennis Romero's brand new Skoka Fabia (Nro 265), will arrive in 2019 version without any of the new updated. The driver confirmed that the update would cost aroung 80.000 EURO, so it will have to wait.
    From what I understood from the interview, he decided to buy the "older spec" car, not just the newest Rally2 (or whatever is the right name) without the latest upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by Co-driven View Post
    From what I understood from the interview, he decided to buy the "older spec" car, not just the newest Rally2 (or whatever is the right name) without the latest upgrades.
    Yes, he said that the cost for a "tiny" improvement was too expensive. I don't know if the improvement is so small, but Romero just want to improve his skills and learn, he is not looking for wins.

Bad and good news. The "Rally Argentina" planned to take place at Córdoba province was cancelled because covid and the restrictions at the province that create a difficulty for drivers from other countries to attend, so the CODASUR event was posponed to october.

The date for the national championship found an alternative place at Catamarca province, and it will take place next 16-18 april. The organization is working hard to secure the presence of the chilean drivers/mechanics (and a new driver from Bolivia) on this difficult situation

About Maxi Rally cars

I been talking with a team owner and other persons as I been writing an article about the Maxi Rally cars history and the future. It looks like some teams/drivers that can't buy/rent a R5 car will try to make some improvements on the MR, but now focused on traction instead pure power. Some improvements could be taken from the N5 cars in Europe, so they has been talking with ARV Racing and RMC. ARV Racing has developed a better cinlinder head and turbo, and to my surprise the ARV cars are the only ones with a front antiroll bar (neither, the Maxi Rally or N5 from RMC have a front antiroll bar, even if the bar it's on the manual of both cars).

Another item to work in it's the gearbox. The current Modena gearbox keeps the first three gear ratios from the old atamospheric engine. The old engine used to rev up to 7200 while the current turbo engines only reachs 6500. When the turbo engine was installed only 4th to 6th gear ratios were updated to save costs, so the idea now is to have all six ratios sorted up. There is a team doing tests with a PPG gearbox to replace the old Modena. The new PPG have the powershift switch as an internal part, while the old Modena have a switch on the shifter that used to cause problems. With these changes and maybe with the front antiroll bar installed they hope to take the Maxi Rally a step up.

This is the article I have wrote, but sadly it's only in spanish.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NCx...5YauT1LT3/view

12. Likes: b3637853 (6th April 2021)
    Liked 1,176 Times in 389 Posts
    Interesting reading.
    Front ARB won't help much if at all. I'm not 100% sure about MR cars, but if suspension geometry is similar to N5 then front ARB won't work there, especially on not very smooth gravel. N5 is quite similar to R5 Fiesta where also front ARB is not working.
    I don't know the MR gear ratios, but that might be the case. Also it's not only about the ratios, lack of grip on lower gears is much related to diffs, also active diff if MR use that (as N5 does).
    And difference between base Skoda and evo version is not that big for average driver, so it's clever decision to buy cheaper car and do more mileage instead.

14. Likes: Damian Baldi (7th April 2021),Mirek (7th April 2021)