Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-driven View Post
    The R4 runs together in the same class as the Maxi Rally turbo? Or it's a separate class, along the R5?
    The R4 cars runs together with the MR in the current RC2 class. There is only a Hyundai R5, so it runs alone in his class. I think the plan is to merge everything in the future, but they expect to have at least 5 R5 cars (something I doubt it will happen soon).

Into the RC2, there is a subclass that runs for the "Copa Pirelli". In this subclass runs the old Maxi Rally cars with atmospheric 2.4 litre engines, and Maxi Rally turbo with a 32mm restrictor (the main class have a 34 mm restrictor). The idea with this class is to allow the drivers to fight for a win and to promote their sponsors.

In this link you could see the current championship standing, it's a bit confusing.
    https://rallyargentino.com/campeonato.php?anio=2020
    Last edited by Damian Baldi; 2nd December 2020 at 21:08.

Continuing with the R4 analysys, here is a video of Castro and Sicolone with the Etios at San Luis Rally. There are more videos of the R4 and the Audi A1 MR on the channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjE91RaiI60

Is this SS2, they finished seventh overal, just ahead of Arceluz (he's with who I like to compare their performances). Castro finished 16 seconds from the lead.

San Luis 2019- SS2 results and general standings

Liked 168 Times in 98 Posts
    Castro won the 4th round of Rally Argentino. I still think it's a bit of a surprise, but in the end he beat the likes of Villagra, Ligato, Diaz, besides Cancio and Scuncio with the R5. Most of them had problems, but it's still a great result.

Yes, Castro won the 4th event. The reliability of the car put him on top, however he was fast and close to the leaders all the time. The roads equalized the performance of the R4 and MR cars, as it was an event in the mountain.

Events #4 and #5 were a bit rare, with lot of cars with mechanical problems, and many cars absent (Baldoni, Arceluz, Bonnin, Zeballos, Folledo). Baldoni cancelled his participation because his codriver had a surgery the day before. Ligato suffered a fire on the engine that damaged the electrical system and had to abandon. Villagra has been fighting with his new car to make it ran properly. Villagra went out of the road (to avoid a big rock) and damaged the rear of the car, rejoining the race at the next stage. Ligato went out of the road too on event #5 and abandoned after being the winner of SS1.

With Baldoni, Ligato and Villagra out of the fight for the titlle, Díaz, D'agostini and Padilla had the possibility to become champions for the first time. Díaz and Padilla were fighting for the RC2 lead until Padilla lost four minutes to change a tire. Díaz had a puncture but was able to continue, losing a bit of time, leaving the lead to D'agostini.

On event #5 Díaz was the fastest at some SS, but then an antiroll bar got broken damaging a brake line. The brake line was fixed but they had to drive without the antiroll bar for two SS. It was all up and down for the championship contenders. Finally Díaz had a points lead difference to be carefull and make it to the end becoming the new champion. D'agostini won his first RC2 race.

On the general clasification, Alejandro Cancio was always on top with the R5, even as it was his first race with that car. Scuncio lost lot of time on the first stage.

It was a short and some kind of emergency championship, but it was a lot better than nothing. Let's hope for a normal next seasson. Cancio said that he was thinking about move his Skoda from Chile to Argentina for the next season, but everything is unknown now. I'm not sure, but I think the R5 class need five cars to be considered on the championship.

- Ford Fiesta white and green is Díaz
    - VW Polo totally white is Padilla
    - VW Polo black and yellow is D'agostini
    - Toyota Etios R4, is the red one wih Puma advertising on the side
    - Hyundai R5 with Manaos advertising on the side is Cancio
    - white Chevrolet with Infinia advertising is Ligato
    - white and red Toyota Yaris with Elaion on the side is Villagra

Some videos

by TonyCosta99
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4QBeC9RNVg

by Eduardo Loza
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc48HTrNsz4

out of the road with lucky for Scuncio
    https://fb.watch/2oFaZ5A1Is/

Scuncio onboard SS4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8n2Egyca20

Resume event #4 from Rally Argentino
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktXaYYZts4s

Resume event #5 from Rally Argentino
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ur7YcZSZ5o

From 1 to 7. That's the number of R5 cars that will take part on the 2021 championship of Rally Argentino. Two teams from Chile expand their operations to race in Argentina and be sure to see some action as RallyMobil has been stop since 2019.

CB Tech by Skoda bought part of "Compañía General de Rally" team in Córdoba, and will have a base there. Alejandro Cancio who used to drive at RallyMobil will be one of the drivers. Jorge Martínez from Chile will be the second driver, and Juan Carlos Alonso (2019 ERC2 champion) will have the opportunity to race again as he wasn't able to do a final ERC appeareance to end his carrier.

Before join CB Tech, Juan Carlos Alonso bought a Ford Fiesta R5 Evo2 from Alberto Heller to drive it himself, but now that car will be available for rent.

Point Cola Team will do the same as CB Tech, installing part of the team at Córdoba with three Hyundai cars. One of the cars is for Martín Scuncio, but there are not information about the drivers of the other two cars (we will know next week).

This move of the teams from Chile to Argentina, solve the problem of the customs, as the cars will be here temporary.

Rally Argentino will start the championship next week at Cruz del Eje - Córdoba, with a double event on the same weekend. Same will be the situation at General Madariaga Rally in march, and then in april, Rally Argentina will be a single event of two days for Rally Argentino and CODASUR.

6. Likes: Mirek (2nd February 2021)
    Liked 168 Times in 98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
    CB Tech by Skoda bought part of "Compañía General de Rally" team in Córdoba, and will have a base there. Alejandro Cancio who used to drive at RallyMobil will be one of the drivers. Jorge Martínez from Chile will be the second driver, and Juan Carlos Alonso (2019 ERC2 champion) will have the opportunity to race again as he wasn't able to do a final ERC appeareance to end his carrier.

I didn't know this info that CB Tech bought a part of CGR. Isn't Germán Schroeder involved with their operation? He has (or had) his own team in the past, right?

Regarding the Hyundai, I heard that they would leave one of the three cars in Chile, so that Scuncion could compete on both Championships without problems.

I thought we would see some of the big names, like Villagra, Ligato or even Díaz compete with one of the R5...

Also, is Fernando Álvarez's R4 ready to compete?

Quote Originally Posted by Co-driven View Post
    I didn't know this info that CB Tech bought a part of CGR. Isn't Germán Schroeder involved with their operation? He has (or had) his own team in the past, right?

Regarding the Hyundai, I heard that they would leave one of the three cars in Chile, so that Scuncion could compete on both Championships without problems.

I thought we would see some of the big names, like Villagra, Ligato or even Díaz compete with one of the R5...

Also, is Fernando Álvarez's R4 ready to compete?

Germán Schroeder will be involved with CB Tech.

It's true that a Hyundai will remains in Chile, but the team have the idea to buy a 4th car. It's unclear how that car will be used, because there are many things unknown at the moment.

I don't know about Diaz, Ligato or Baldoni joining PointCola team. I think Diaz is the most close to the team, and he did some tests in the past.

Villagra have a deal with Toyota, but somebody said this week, that he was asking for the Toyota R5 of Galindo in Paraguay to try to have it. It's just a rumor.

There weren't more news about the R4 of Alvarez. The last know was that RC Competición finished the basic and homologated part of the job and sent the car to Villagra's team to finish it. Alvarez codriver "Pupin" Monasterolo will join Alonso (as they used to run together at ERC) so Alvarez will need a new codriver.

There are news about Peugeot bringing several 208 Rally4 (as entire cars or kits). That news beside the allow of R4 and R5 cars make it clear that FIA's pressure made effect. I wrote here in the past that FIA didn't want more MR and local build cars, with the threat of take out the WRC date, and here we are, with R5 cars and without a date.

Local economic situation is worse every year (plus the pandemic), so I don't know how all this thing will end, because everybody was against the R5 cars last year because the cost. Many drivers are team owners and MR builders. They want to keep their business running of course but, as drivers they like the R5 cars.

About R5, R4 cars versus MR I have mixed feelings.

Why to have R5 cars? It will bring junior drivers the possibility to expand to Europe? Maybe. Would they be able to pay for it? I don't think so (even the senior drivers can't afford it).

The R4 cars are another thing. These cars cover the exactly same place as the MR cars. Are the R4 better cars than the MR? I think yes from the learning and reability point of view. Are the R4 cars better for our rally teams? I don't think so, as only RC Competición is allowed to build them.

What's the good and bad things about MR cars? The good thing is that small teams build and maintain their own cars. The cars looks different even the same brand and model, and I like that. The bad thing is that the big teams keeps rising costs working on the ECU and bringing european engineers to develop the cars.

The MR cars don't drive as well as a R4 cars, but, that makes them nicer to watch, so, what's the point to replace MR cars with R4?

Maybe the best situation could be to convert MR cars to R4 standard, or agree to use a common ECU settings, but I don't think Oreca will allow third party teams to build R4 cars by themself.

If the R5 cars become affordable, MR and R4 cars will become second tier, and maybe then is when an agreetment about the ECU will occur.

We are here several years behind Europe, so maybe we should jump directly to R3 as a replace of MR and R4 cars, and keep the R5 cars as top tier. Difficult to say, there are more than 60 MR cars and only 2 R4 at the moment, I don't think MR cars will dissapear soon.
    Last edited by Damian Baldi; 3rd February 2021 at 16:28.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    R4 (Rally2 Kit) can be built by every team. There is no restriction in place. They only need to do the paper work according to the guidlines to get the homologation - either national or even international.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

11. Likes: pantealex (3rd February 2021)
    The city of Ushuaia is strongly asking Rally Argentino to have his date back in 2021. Currently the championship have his calendar almost sorted up but there are two dates available.

Ushuaia is 3000 km from Buenos Aires, and near 4000km from Córdoba where most of the teams are placed. It would be a real challenge to have a race there in this year with all the economic problems and the pandemic, but they insist.

One of the problems would be the logistics. Rally Argenitno should have to set some kind of logistic to send all the cargo, cars and trucks of the teams by ship to Tierra del Fuego many days before the race (There is no railroads to the south that connect with the rest of the country, so it's ship, or truck). The personel would be free to take one of the comercial flyghts.

The other problem is that the goverment of Ushuaia want to have the race in july, that means that it will be plenty of snow and ice. Rally Argentino championship runs over gravel, in winter, summer, on sand, or over rocks, etc, but it's always gravel, so to race in winter at the end of the world mean that ice tires and rims must be adquiered just for one race.

Pirelli is the unique tire supplier so they should brings ice tires from Europe with the cost that that means. As Tierra del Fuego is like a free shop free of taxes, the optión could be to send the tires from Europe direct to Ushuaia to save all the taxes.

All these option are under analisys, and it would be defined because the pandemic situation, but beside that, the crazy idea to have this race is growing. This race was part of the championship between 1999 to 2001.

Two videos from the "Rally of end of the World" from 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfrY01CKSOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGuG5UIvNGE

BTW a landing a Ushuaia airport (in summer).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPil-NAEgBw
    Last edited by Damian Baldi; 6th February 2021 at 05:19.