Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

BBC saving money

On the one hand, the good old Beeb are axing BBC Three to save money, keeping on with their F1 deal with Sky, which apparently still benefits the viewers, but have got enough money to win back the rights to the FA Cup? Where's the sense in that?!

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Re: BBC saving money

I'm losing a bit of faith in F1 lately so in the long run I will probably be more gutted BBC3 got the axe. When the BBC finally lose interest in Formula One and that is looking very likely, I'll likely find another interest to dedicate my spare time too. The sport isn't bothered about retaining fans, the BBC don't listen to the viewers, so what is the point? Racing will always be in my blood, but whether that is F1 in future I do not know.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

F1 will be next on the list I fear. Just as soon as the contract ends they'll give it up to Sky.

I'm not sure of the ratings but I'm sure more people watch the FA Cup than F1? In any case the BBC needs to be responsible with their cash and only pay a reasonable amount, leave the likes of Sky to pay silly money. This applies to presenters salaries just as much as sports rights etc.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

If the BBC loses F1 broadcasting then that'll be the end of me watching F1 - I live in Australia.

Currently F1 is shown on Channel 10 which shows all rounds. If Sky gets all the rights, then you can bet that Foxtel (which is half-Murdoch owned) will not give free-to-air the rights anymore; thus under the anti-siphoning provisions (which are currently under review by the current parliament anyway), the only GP for view in Australia would be the Australian GP (maybe). IF Foxtel is the hose broadcaster, then that's game over.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Each country has their own deal and the BBC's coverage has no connection with what is shown in Australia (Channel 10 take Sky Sports' commentators). And IF Sky get full rights in the UK, it will not have any effect on Australia as such. That said, there could indeed come a time that F1 does end up on Foxtel in Oz yes.
    Real Race Cars Dont Have Doors....

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by acescribe
    Each country has their own deal and the BBC's coverage has no connection with what is shown in Australia (Channel 10 take Sky Sports' commentators). And IF Sky get full rights in the UK, it will not have any effect on Australia as such. That said, there could indeed come a time that F1 does end up on Foxtel in Oz yes.
    Doesn't it?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-02-23/t ... ion=justin
    Network Ten has terminated the contract of its chief executive Grant Blackley and announced Lachlan Murdoch as his temporary replacement.
    In a statement to the ASX, Ten's chairman Brian Long said Mr Murdoch accepted the position of acting CEO at the unanimous request of the board.
    Mr Murdoch will remain in the position while the company undertakes an executive search for a new CEO.

- ABC 23 Feb 2011

I think that Lachy will listen to his daddy Rupert if Sky gets full rights in the UK. If Sky held the rights, why wouldn't Rupert just politely ask sonny boy to play nicely with his toys?
    I'm sure that Fox Sports 1, 2 or 3 or even Speed channel could find a home for F1.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did say "as such" and did say that F1 would probably end up on Foxtel one day in the future.

But in terms of contracts, Sky getting exclusive rights in the UK it is a separate company, even if owned by the same 'family' as Foxtel and does not necessarily mean it will follow, even though it will. That is what I meant..
    Real Race Cars Dont Have Doors....

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The BBC normally do a bang-up job, but did anyone think Sunday's highlights show wasn't up to much? I have a feeling they are winding their coverage down.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    I just watched it and didn't think it was that bad to be honest. The race got quite dull towards the middle so I think they made the best of that. I got up and watched it live unexpectedly and in hindsight would have been happy if I'd only seen the highlights of this one.