Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast

Thread: Hayden Paddon

Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    The major issue with drones is safety legislation. I don't know rules in other countries but I guess they are similar everywhere. In general they shall be flying in corridors where quite large distance from spectators is kept and where everyone inside the corridor (marshals for example) agreed in written form about the drones flying overhead. They must not fly over any crowd beyond visual line of sight of the pilot. Also if there are multiple high-speed flying drones over the couse of the stage there is a risk of collision which has to be addressed. I don't know if the commercial drones have some automatic collision avoidance system.
    On Rally GB Shakedown in Clocaenog a few years ago, the official WRC drone operator shouted to us surrounding spectators that he was required to ask, 'does anybody object to me using the drone, if so speak now...'. I'm not sure what the laws are here regarding it, but that didn't sound entirely legitimate.

2. Likes: Mirek (16th March 2021)
    Liked 233 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    The major issue with drones is safety legislation. I don't know rules in other countries but I guess they are similar everywhere. In general they shall be flying in corridors where quite large distance from spectators is kept and where everyone inside the corridor (marshals for example) agreed in written form about the drones flying overhead. They must not fly over any crowd beyond visual line of sight of the pilot. Also if there are multiple high-speed flying drones over the couse of the stage there is a risk of collision which has to be addressed. I don't know if the commercial drones have some automatic collision avoidance system.
    Yes, true, but on the commercial drones side apparently:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/31/amaz...-approval.html

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-...ode=8037720011

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    FAA holds no authority over any WRC country. At best we can say that it's a first attempt and it will take some time for the other countries to observe how it goes.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 233 Times in 115 Posts
    No question, if it is to ever happen, it is some time away. Fingers crossed rallying still exists by then.

Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Paddon had the Hyundai Kona EV Rally car on display at the NZ Agricultural Show. (Also running a rally simulator in the Hyundai area)

Paddon's interview with the Show's online media staff.

https://www.fieldaysonline.co.nz/fie...on-demand-2021 (bottom of page "Hyundai Kona EV Rallycar with Hayden Paddon")

Paddon also made it 3 wins from 3 starts in the NZ Rally championship at the South Canterbury Rally today.

Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    On Rally GB Shakedown in Clocaenog a few years ago, the official WRC drone operator shouted to us surrounding spectators that he was required to ask, 'does anybody object to me using the drone, if so speak now...'. I'm not sure what the laws are here regarding it, but that didn't sound entirely legitimate.
    Was that the same guy that flew it straight into the tree and wrecked it! I don’t remember him asking if anyone minded, but the crash was hilarious

Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    WTF HAPPENED TO HAYDEN PADDON?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNgNMBuxEg4
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    WTF HAPPENED TO HAYDEN PADDON?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNgNMBuxEg4
    First time I watched something from that channel.

+ I didn't actually remember Paddon started in GB 2019.

The start indeed wasn't impressive, slower than Greensmith in same car by quite a lot after 3 stages and crashing. Later it was okish, but not much wow.

- "Can't understand why Mikkelsen drove for Hyundai in 2019 and not Paddon"... Cause he had a 2 year contract while Paddons was ending, simple as that.
    In the end it was Loeb who was hired "instead of" Paddon immediately. Kinda understandable since he is 9 times WC and most notably since he at that time just won Catalunya.
    The more questionable point would be why Breen was called to drive Rally Finland 2019 and not Paddon.

- "Paddon will be hired by manu teams due to his EV experience once WRC goes full electric". Earliest WRC could go full electric is like 2025. Not because the technology isn't there, but because of at least a few years with current rules (I believe 3 years is minimum) that 3 manus already invested in. By that time it's highly unlikely they start calling Paddon.
    Last edited by mknight; 22nd August 2021 at 16:16.

10. Likes: pantealex (23rd August 2021),TWRC (22nd August 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    https://twitter.com/HaydenPaddon/sta...626199553?s=20

We had several attempts to be back again this year. Trying to fund a program on the other side of the world from NZ is so much harder. We are now working on some ideas for 2022 but taking a different approach.

12. Likes: pantealex (25th August 2021)
    Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    Cool to see our livery in the new WRC10 game. We had several attempts to be back again this year, so not from a lack of trying. Trying to fund a program on the other side of the world from NZ is so much harder compared to European teams/drivers. Would have been very easy to give up by now, but that’s not an option. We are now working on some ideas for 2022 but taking a different approach. Let’s see what the next few months bring.

https://www.facebook.com/haydenpaddo...99026154912524
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -