Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Hayden Paddon

Liked 87 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundefaret View Post
    Firstly: No its not a problem because the public road thing You can do in traffic. And a lot of the driving/visualization etc dont demand rally stage quality roads.

Secondly: In my mind his pace notes are to simple, and they make it very hard work to drive fast on technical stages. The gradings etc seems okay, but he doesn´t have the extra info needed. Especially radius and apex point strategy. If he developed his pace notes system, he could have a lot of speed for "free" on technical stages, and he could be a lot safer on the fast stuff.
    Since Sardinia he has added a gear number to his pace notes (which is after the Youtube Video)
    I think his pace notes are nice and simple, he sets fast times on stages that are new, I remember reading the difference between Solbergs notes and Loebs notes was Solbergs were much longer, and Loeb did fairly well?
    But I know jack about notes so im probably wrong

Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyoda View Post
    Since Sardinia he has added a gear number to his pace notes (which is after the Youtube Video)
    I think his pace notes are nice and simple, he sets fast times on stages that are new, I remember reading the difference between Solbergs notes and Loebs notes was Solbergs were much longer, and Loeb did fairly well?
    But I know jack about notes so im probably wrong
    Being brought up on New Zealand rallies Hayden and John both are used to competing in "Blind events" that is on stages without any form of recce or notes as they are strictly forbidden on most events in the South Island.
    In the North Island many events use Jemba stage notes but again without any form of recce permitted.
    For the NZ Rally Championship events Jemba stage notes are available plus a one pass recce is permitted and many take this opportunity to write their own notes.
    A number who write their own notes then spend countless hours on the night before the rally viewing in car footage and checking their notes by this method.

Perhaps this is where Hayden and John have a slight advantage when on new stages.

It is only on the FIA events that a two pass recce is permitted.

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    i agree with you. Tänak has better raw speed, i actually think that Tänak is one of the fastest or fastest in raw speed but like you said Paddon at the moment seems to be more clever and mature. The other thing which speaks for Paddon is that he has experienced co-driver while Raigo is having his first year in a WRC car. Nevertheless both havent shined after their mega performances after Sardinia and Poland respectively, they have been setting some great stage times but have had some set-up issues and so on.

But these two guys are the future in WRC IMO. Every rally i'm rooting for both of them.
    No, Tänak definetely has a long way to go with his raw speed. It's versatility that matters and he is nowhere near the pace in slow and twisty gravel events and on tarmac. A lot to learn, specially mental training would be big help. At some point I thought that Tänak has the upper hand on Paddon, but atm seems that Paddon is making it slow and steady, but improving all the time. Tänak shone only in Poland, the event which had more like estonian roads, benefiting the lack of knowledge by experienced drivers and taking huuuuuuuuge risks - basically overdriving the car. He was lucky that time around, but you could clearly see what damage the overdriving has done to his reputation. I'm not wearing estonian glasses, so this statement is honest and not filled with patriotism. I'm not a patriotic person
    Last edited by cali; 21st September 2015 at 09:17.

4. Likes: dimviii (21st September 2015),Simmi (21st September 2015),sindroms (23rd September 2015)
    Liked 124 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    No, Tänak definetely has a long way to go with his raw speed. It's versatility that matters and he is nowhere near the pace in slow and twisty gravel events and on tarmac. A lot to learn, specially mental training would be big help. At some point I thought that Tänak has the upper hand on Paddon, but atm seems that Paddon is making it slow and steady, but improving all the time. Tänak shone only in Poland, the event which had more like estonian roads, benefiting the lack of knowledge by experienced drivers and taking huuuuuuuuge risks - basically overdriving the car. He was lucky that time around, but you could clearly see what damage the overdriving has done to his reputation. I'm not wearing estonian glasses, so this statement is honest and not filled with patriotism. I'm not a patriotic person
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. Watching the footage of Tanak in Poland he was very fast but every corner there was a potential crash coming.
    What I like about Paddon is he has a plan and is actually executing his plan. Listening to Colin the voice of rally previously he has said the two hardest workers in the field are Neuville and Paddon.

I also think Paddon is one of the neatest/tidiest and most accurate drivers in the field, I remember watching a WRC round a few years ago when Paddon was in the Skoda, standing at a corner there were two drivers who took the widest line into a corner, hit the apex perfectly and drove away the cleanest, that was Paddon and Loeb. I'm not comparing the two as the cars are different etc (and one is Loeb and the other has a long way to go) but looking at the tyre marks on the road you can tell if smooth is fast these two were head and shoulders above. The worst was Ken Block (we laughed that he needed an aircraft hanger to aim for as his lines were so bad) closely followed by Henning Solberg and Latvala. But then that was a few years ago.

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    ‏@HaydenPaddon
    Everyday is a school day! Really informative day at the track today with @Nico_Bernardi__ refining Tarmac driving

https://twitter.com/HaydenPaddon/sta...80763324227584

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Nicolas Bernardi - that is a name I have not heard in a while.

Last seen in the WRC in a....
    That would make a good quiz question

http://www.ewrc-results.com/profile....colas-Bernardi

Liked 480 Times in 162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundo Farb View Post
    I also think Paddon is one of the neatest/tidiest and most accurate drivers in the field, I remember watching a WRC round a few years ago when Paddon was in the Skoda, standing at a corner there were two drivers who took the widest line into a corner, hit the apex perfectly and drove away the cleanest, that was Paddon and Loeb.
    Somehow I don't agree with that. I have seen Paddon several times on gravel (Finland, Poland) and his trademark always was aggressive driving using sideways and putting car in oversteering. Judging by this year results he starts to change his driving style probably. Without that it's not possible for him to create decent results.

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Clean and tidy doesn't mean you should not be sideway when needed. And yes, he is not perfect and has still long way to go but I think he is in the right path

Liked 124 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    Clean and tidy doesn't mean you should not be sideway when needed. And yes, he is not perfect and has still long way to go but I think he is in the right path
    Yep, didn't say anything about not going sideways but about taking what looked like the fastest line around the corner.

Liked 480 Times in 162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    I understand your and Grundo Farb point, but Paddon was tended to use sideways in places where it isn't necessary at all. It seemed to me a little bit an old fashion style where you must throw car in to bend to be quick.