Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Hayden Paddon

Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barreis View Post
    rock or not, he was too quick also
    It's no use testing the car by going at 3/4 speed, you need to be going as hard as you would in the rally proper to test how the car will react at the limit. He had also done multiple passes over the road already during the day, including this very corner, without incident. The corner seemed pretty unremarkable by Finland standards - there was nothing in the video that indicated the car was out of control (or was at risk of losing control) until it hit the rock.

These things happen.

2. Likes: AnttiL (30th July 2019),dimviii (29th July 2019),gorganl2000 (30th July 2019),Maui J. (30th July 2019),pantealex (30th July 2019),Rallyper (30th July 2019),steve.mandzij (29th July 2019),the sniper (30th July 2019),Toyoda (29th July 2019),TWRC (30th July 2019)
    Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barreis View Post
    rock or not, he was too quick also
    Do you think testing should be done at recce speed? What rubbish.

4. Likes: cali (29th July 2019),pantealex (30th July 2019),Toyoda (29th July 2019)
    Liked 846 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Based off his previous results, WRC win and multiple podiums etc. Its not like he's some unproven new driver!
    Yeah, true, but that was already a couple years ago; when your most recent headline at an international level is a massive testing accident and you're not linked to any team I bet it's much more difficult to get a drive.

I really hope he gets another chance but his sponsors have blown off heaps of cash to get him back into the WRC, only for it to end in a DNS.

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    Yeah, true, but that was already a couple years ago; when your most recent headline at an international level is a massive testing accident and you're not linked to any team I bet it's much more difficult to get a drive.

I really hope he gets another chance but his sponsors have blown off heaps of cash to get him back into the WRC, only for it to end in a DNS.
    His win was a couple of years ago you're right, but last years results were good - from only doing 7 rounds he placed in the top 5 on 5 of them, on the podium twice (and one crash trying to avoid a rock on the line while leading Portugal).

I think anybody with the experience to be making decisions for a WRC team would be well aware that this crash wasn't his fault, so it shouldn't be much of a factor.

There is obviously a lot of positivity between him and M-Sport at the moment anyway which is good to see. I guess time will tell.

7. Likes: Rallyper (30th July 2019)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    do you believe they would take the risk to ruin another rally by using parts that might have undetected failures in them?

just because a fuel pump works fine now, doesn't mean she could break within a few kilometers of special stage. just because the wiring seems fine now, doesn't mean it cant be damaged and start doing faulty things when exposed to heat and shocks.
    would you drive a car flatout if you knew that the calipers and springs from that crash are on them? i wouldn't.

metal fatigue and overstressing are weird stuff to calculate. that's why the factory teams replace pretty much everything every service/rally. not because it's broken, but to be sure it isn't going to break untill the next service.

of course it could be that they will reuse those parts, but i find it hard to believe.
    You can blabber here behind your keyboard but mark my word that this car is soon doing some rallying again. No way this car is a write-off. This is a reality check for you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

9. Likes: janvanvurpa (30th July 2019),pantealex (30th July 2019)
    Liked 307 Times in 186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    You can blabber here behind your keyboard but mark my word that this car is soon doing some rallying again. No way this car is a write-off. This is a reality check for you.

yes, but if Msport labour rate is €100/hr.. it will be the price of the car to fix. Your also assuming the drive train (gearbox, diff), or engine block is not damaged.

Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    you really think that all these crashes we have seen from wrc/r5 cars,that all these spare parts went to waste basket,because fatigue and overstressing is difficult to calculate?
    No way.
    In case of a factory team challenging for the championship win? Yes.
    If they sent those parts to the waste basket after 300 and often far less kilometers of special stage, why would they keep them after a hard crash?

Its been a while, but i believe this is still very relevant today:
    http://wrcbehindthestages.blogspot.c...rally.html?m=1

But then again, i don't work at the workshop at msport, so i don't know how tight their budget is and how much they recycle.

Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post

Where you born as an asshole or did you have to go to school to become one?

You could very well be right that they will repair that car. I don't believe it, but i haven't seen it in person so i can't really tell.

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Portimao View Post
    It was a flat corner, what did you expect?
    not to destroy the car in PET and top 5 finish at rally

Liked 658 Times in 317 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    do you believe they would take the risk to ruin another rally by using parts that might have undetected failures in them?

just because a fuel pump works fine now, doesn't mean she could break within a few kilometers of special stage. just because the wiring seems fine now, doesn't mean it cant be damaged and start doing faulty things when exposed to heat and shocks.
    would you drive a car flatout if you knew that the calipers and springs from that crash are on them? i wouldn't.

metal fatigue and overstressing are weird stuff to calculate. that's why the factory teams replace pretty much everything every service/rally. not because it's broken, but to be sure it isn't going to break untill the next service.

of course it could be that they will reuse those parts, but i find it hard to believe.
    There's a big difference between 'replace everything every service' and 'put different parts on'.

The parts they take off aren't thrown in the bin, they're checked, refurbished, 'lifed' and then used again....

There will be a huge amount of parts from Hayden's crashed car that will go through this process and be used on a car again. Including the car itself: it will just go through a reshell process.

14. Likes: Allez Andruet (30th July 2019),AnttiL (30th July 2019),aykutbilir (30th July 2019),cali (30th July 2019),dimviii (30th July 2019),er88 (30th July 2019),pantealex (30th July 2019),TWRC (30th July 2019)
    Liked 101 Times in 36 Posts
    Such a bummer for Hayden. So gutted for him and John plus all their financial supporters.
    It's going to difficult to bounce back from this, even though it seemed to be just a freak accident.
    Was really looking forward as to what Hayden could do on this rally. I'll guess we'll never know.