Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hayden Paddon

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    I wanted to resurrect this thread because I've read this article about Paddon's coaching session at Le Mans Circuit.
    http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/septe...3--12-12-.html

But especially because this guy is in my opinion the real surprise of this season.
    He is the only one that showed potential and in the meantime achieve some great results and improvements compared to last year.

He seems to me he is also a very clever guy with a cool head. He is not that kind of guy that wants all and soon. He is ambituous but smart enough not to ruin everything with haste to reach the level he wants to be.

And I also like all the works he is doing with his coaching sessions on tarmac and I am sure he will improve in this surface as well.

I think he should also improve his pacenote system which seems to me too much simplistic but I think he has the right mentality to be one or maybe the only interesting prospect in WRC at the moment.
    The other could be Tanak but Paddon seems to me more clever and mature, even if in raw speed Tanak is a bit better in my opinion.

What do you think about?
    I agree. Somehow I saw that coming when he signed Hyundai, of course 1st year is a learning year and now the "real" results begin to come. He seems very positive and dedicated driver with talent. That seems to be the whole package along with his methodical work. He also is not that slow on asphalt either, but perhaps Germany result was little disappointing for him.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    I think the Fiesta has a better suspension, steering than the Hyundai to enable Tanak to push it harder than Paddon can push the Hyundai.
    https://youtu.be/Lg2Q8d-TNPQ

Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeakiwi View Post
    I think the Fiesta has a better suspension, steering than the Hyundai to enable Tanak to push it harder than Paddon can push the Hyundai.
    https://youtu.be/Lg2Q8d-TNPQ
    Remember that Hayden has been running the obsolete car for most of the season, he has only had the good gearbox and improved suspension travel for very recent events, and then the new car for Finland and Australia.

Liked 887 Times in 277 Posts
    Haydon Paddon is a very talented driver, with a very good potential.

I think Paddon - and other drivers wanting to challenge Ogier - most difficult task is to realize how extremely hard they have to work to catch up on Ogier, and how extremely hard Ogier worked to reach the place he is at now. And I am not talking about physical fitness, which I take as a given.

What does Paddon (and all the others) need to do to further improve on his very good talent:

As Lasse Kjus, the several times Olympic and World Champion Gold medal alpine skier said to me when I interviewed him:
    "The best athletes are those that even after a victory, dare to look in the mirror to focus 100% on finding faults and weaknesses, and endure extreme amounts of pain to better these."

It is very good that Paddond goes to France to drive with a rally tutor, but if Paddon really wants to improve on tarmac (which I think he has a very good potential to do) this - and all other aspects he needs to improve - needs to be done with a certain level of frequency.

The way the brain learns is trough introduction and repetition. Whiteout repetition it is very difficult to pogramme new ways of doing things (some repetition can also come trough visualization).
    On a rally/in a race, the stress levels are so high that You will not "rise to the acation" and do the new things You have learned, but "fall to Your level of competence" and revert to the old ways of doing things, this is something learned trough experience by the Special Forces around the world.

Paddon is strong on what he has done the most, and that is fast gravel rallies with a low grade of inputs per minute.

To beat Ogier he needs to get an accurate view of where You gain and loose time, and be able to do that also when the roads/surfaces becomes more technical. And for this You need to train a lot. But training/practising does not only need to be in a rally car, it can be:
    - Watching inboards and outboards
    - Driving go carts
    - Driving a regular road car on regular roads to program a new line/new lines
    - Driving UTVs
    - Etc etc
    - And to develop a pace notes system where all this can be incorporated, and practice this.

So how many hours a week?

If all the training is done in the correct direction, with correct tutoring, and always challenging the comfort zone in a lesser or larger degree:

- 20 hours of driving related training a week
    - 20 hours of pace notes training a week
    On top of this comes the physical training, and off course the competitions, wich should not count as training.

So what do Paddon and the other drivers need to do to motivate them self to do this?
    - Firtsly, if they are not motivated in the outset to do this, they should conclude on that they will never beat Ogier over a season.
    - If they are motivated, but struggle when times are tough (as all do), they should hang a picture of a smiling Ogier in their bathroom, in their gym, in their car, in their bedroom and in all other places they are a lot, and know that an hour of missed training is an hour missed in the race to wipe that smirk of Ogiers face.

Paddon has potential, no doubt about that. Lets just hope that he doesn't fall in the same trap as everybody else, taking to lightly on how much work, effort, and pain You have to endure to beat Ogier.
    https://www.facebook.com/noseendfirst?ref=hl#

Liked 12,162 Times in 5,216 Posts
    I wanted to resurrect this thread because I've read this article about Paddon's coaching session at Le Mans Circuit.
    http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/septe...3--12-12-.html

But especially because this guy is in my opinion the real surprise of this season.
    He is the only one that showed potential and in the meantime achieve some great results and improvements compared to last year.

He seems to me he is also a very clever guy with a cool head. He is not that kind of guy that wants all and soon. He is ambituous but smart enough not to ruin everything with haste to reach the level he wants to be.

And I also like all the works he is doing with his coaching sessions on tarmac and I am sure he will improve in this surface as well.

I think he should also improve his pacenote system which seems to me too much simplistic but I think he has the right mentality to be one or maybe the only interesting prospect in WRC at the moment.
    The other could be Tanak but Paddon seems to me more clever and mature, even if in raw speed Tanak is a bit better in my opinion.

What do you think about?
    i agree with you. Tänak has better raw speed, i actually think that Tänak is one of the fastest or fastest in raw speed but like you said Paddon at the moment seems to be more clever and mature. The other thing which speaks for Paddon is that he has experienced co-driver while Raigo is having his first year in a WRC car. Nevertheless both havent shined after their mega performances after Sardinia and Poland respectively, they have been setting some great stage times but have had some set-up issues and so on.

But these two guys are the future in WRC IMO. Every rally i'm rooting for both of them.

6. Likes: AL14 (20th September 2015)
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundefaret View Post
    The way the brain learns is trough introduction and repetition. Whiteout repetition it is very difficult to pogramme new ways of doing things (some repetition can also come trough visualization).

To beat Ogier he needs to get an accurate view of where You gain and loose time, and be able to do that also when the roads/surfaces becomes more technical. And for this You need to train a lot. But training/practising does not only need to be in a rally car, it can be:
    - Watching inboards and outboards
    - Driving go carts
    - Driving a regular road car on regular roads to program a new line/new lines
    - Driving UTVs
    - Etc etc
    - And to develop a pace notes system where all this can be incorporated, and practice this.
    I think he is already doing this kind of work.

So how many hours a week?

If all the training is done in the correct direction, with correct tutoring, and always challenging the comfort zone in a lesser or larger degree:

- 20 hours of driving related training a week
    - 20 hours of pace notes training a week
    On top of this comes the physical training, and off course the competitions, wich should not count as training.
    You will need public roads and circuits 40 hours per day all days, it is a bit difficult. Don't you think?
    But how about his pace notes? I'm curious to know what you think about his actual notes. I think they are a bit poor...

So what do Paddon and the other drivers need to do to motivate them self to do this?
    - Firtsly, if they are not motivated in the outset to do this, they should conclude on that they will never beat Ogier over a season.
    - If they are motivated, but struggle when times are tough (as all do), they should hang a picture of a smiling Ogier in their bathroom, in their gym, in their car, in their bedroom and in all other places they are a lot, and know that an hour of missed training is an hour missed in the race to wipe that smirk of Ogiers face.
    I think Ogiers face will be demotivational rather than the contrary.
    Last edited by AL14; 20th September 2015 at 12:54.

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    i agree with you. Tänak has better raw speed, i actually think that Tänak is one of the fastest or fastest in raw speed but like you said Paddon at the moment seems to be more clever and mature. The other thing which speaks for Paddon is that he has experienced co-driver while Raigo is having his first year in a WRC car. Nevertheless both havent shined after their mega performances after Sardinia and Poland respectively, they have been setting some great stage times but have had some set-up issues and so on.

But these two guys are the future in WRC IMO. Every rally i'm rooting for both of them.
    I was expecting one comment by you Est, and I was pretty sure you didn't agree about my view on Tanak but I see you've been more "honest" than I thought. I, for example, I root for Latvala and I'm not "clear headed" when it comes to judge him.
    I just don't believe you when you say you root for both of them: I'm sure you like Paddon but if Tanak is battling against him you will have no doubt about who support.

Liked 12,162 Times in 5,216 Posts
    Of course im supporting Tänak more if they are battling against each other, thats natural, but im a fan of both of them and waiting that one of them will be troubling Ogier one more time this season and all the way next year.

Liked 887 Times in 277 Posts
    You will need public roads and circuits 40 hours per day all days, it is a bit difficult. Don't you think?
    But how about his pace notes? I'm curious to know what you think about his actual notes. I think they are a bit poor...
    Firstly: No its not a problem because the public road thing You can do in traffic. And a lot of the driving/visualization etc dont demand rally stage quality roads.

Secondly: In my mind his pace notes are to simple, and they make it very hard work to drive fast on technical stages. The gradings etc seems okay, but he doesn´t have the extra info needed. Especially radius and apex point strategy. If he developed his pace notes system, he could have a lot of speed for "free" on technical stages, and he could be a lot safer on the fast stuff.
    Last edited by Lundefaret; 21st September 2015 at 00:33.
    https://www.facebook.com/noseendfirst?ref=hl#

Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86i3PhVkEyc

For those who have not yet seen it, here is a bit more on the background of Hayden