Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Hayden Paddon

Liked 148 Times in 42 Posts
    It's like "M-Sport should break up with Ford" all over again.

2. Likes: AnttiL (27th June 2019)
    Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tr4m View Post
    It's like "M-Sport should break up with Ford" all over again.
    Only it isn't, not really. We are talking about a guy that has the speed and ability to be one of the top drivers in the wrc, that is a rally winner and is still at a young enough age, that should be putting himself in the shop window, not a company that has ties with several different manufacturers in different Motorsport disciplines. But I get your sentiment.

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    Would it mean quitting it, or switching to a different manufacturer? I don't really know anything about his business venture, but surely Ford and Toyota at least have as much general presence in NZ as Hyundai.

What happens if Hyundai Motorsport pull the plug at some point, does that not have any impact on Hayden's future company plans? Genuine question as I say I'm not up to speed on his operation.

I think the business (Paddon Rallysport) would be strong enough to carry on without Hyundai in future, but they do work closely together and Hyundai NZ have been very loyal and committed long-term supporters of Hayden. As far as I'm aware there has never really been any Hyundai involvement in NZ motorsport without Paddon, he has been the driving force behind it and together they have done a lot for NZ rallying.

There are already other established businesses building/maintaining/preparing Ford, Subaru, Mitsi etc for rallying so it wouldn't be as simple as 'just switching to another manufacturer' unless it is one that doesn't already have a partnership like that. Toyota could be an option if they ever decide to take local rallying seriously, but they only really seem to focus on circuit racing in NZ.

Personally I'd like it if Hyundai NZ gave him a public 'all clear' to drive for another team in WRC, but I can understand the conflict of interest between brands etc that corporate types on both sides will worry about.

5. Likes: Maui J. (27th June 2019),Norm75 (27th June 2019)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    Duval was and is a toyota dealer and drove citroen and ford.
    Loeb is hyundai driver and rents peugeot and vw.
    I don't know more about these cases, but at least Toyota didn't have a WRC team during Duval's career, and same goes for Peugeot and VW right now. It would be different if a manufacturer is letting their representative compete against them

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    For sure Paddon has a clause in his contract with Hyundai NZ (that most likely has been overseen by Hyundai HQ) which prevents him from competing against the brand. So it's either Hyundai or Hyundai, if Paddon wants to compete in the WRC AND to continue with his business.
    Last edited by Allez Andruet; 27th June 2019 at 10:13.

8. Likes: AnttiL (27th June 2019)
    Liked 87 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    For sure Paddon has a clause in his contract with Hyundai NZ (that most likely has been overseen by Hyundai HQ) which prevents him from competing against the brand. So it's either Hyundai or Hyundai, if Paddon wants to compete in the WRC AND to continue with his business.
    In a way putting Breen on the books locks down another driver potentially for next year and takes him off the market for other manufacturers potentially, seems like Hyundai is just buying out drivers,

Liked 48 Times in 17 Posts
    I don't understand why Hayden couldn't at least knock on Makkinen's door and have a discussion and the same with Budar or Malcolm. Even just a test drive doesn't mean he has to sign anything and break his contract with Hyundai NZ. Just see whats available because putting all his eggs in 1 basket might actually mean he misses out on his dreams! Just see whats on the other side of the fence. He might actually find some sweet smelling Roses! Who knows???

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyoda View Post
    In a way putting Breen on the books locks down another driver potentially for next year and takes him off the market for other manufacturers potentially, seems like Hyundai is just buying out drivers,
    Maybe, but not necessarily. Could be a freelancer like Mikkelsen, who also did some one-offs in the C3 before heading to Hyundai.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grutz View Post
    I don't understand why Hayden couldn't at least knock on Makkinen's door and have a discussion and the same with Budar or Malcolm. Even just a test drive doesn't mean he has to sign anything and break his contract with Hyundai NZ. Just see whats available because putting all his eggs in 1 basket might actually mean he misses out on his dreams! Just see whats on the other side of the fence. He might actually find some sweet smelling Roses! Who knows???
    After the end of last year he pretty much made a choice out of the two options:

a) Stay in NZ and care about his business and other activities and hope for Hyundai WRC drive

b) Move to Europe and do different rallies on multiple surfaces to both improve tarmac skills and stay visible. All WRC teams are based in Europe and are "forced" by the rules to test in Europe + the competition level across multiple championships is quite high.

Paddon picked a). Which is much less risky for the future but likely also more enjoyable and makes sure he has something to do and decent income.
    b) would have been much more risky and could backfire completely, but it also had a chance for better reward.

Breen picked b) and has driven like 4 different cars in multiple championships. But for him it was by far much easier choice since he lives in Europe and his girlfriend (still afaik) is from Italy. So driving in Ireland and Italy is both like driving "at home". So it was an obvious and easy choice for him, but one that also gives him much higher chances than Paddon in the long run.

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    Breen's way is better, competing all the time in Europe and in lots of media

14. Likes: the sniper (28th June 2019),Winner (1st July 2019)