Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Hayden Paddon

Liked 105 Times in 53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krissucool View Post
    Is, is WRC really a globally watched sport?

Well obviously there are some people from different countries watching it but Rallying is only a relevant sport in 2 countries I would think. Estonia and Finland.
    The MOST watched sport, no; no motorsport is that except yeah maybe Estonia and Finland with rally. But it's a global competition with a large audience across the world. Not as big as F1, nor football, but still big, and not limited to a small number of countries.

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk2 RS2000 View Post
    Could I respectively request that you do your homework, per capita NZ out performs every other country in the world sports wise.
    Could I respectfully suggest Carl that this claim is NZ media bullshit with no basis whatsoever. I am embarrassed for you.
    Yes, NZ is good at sport. May even punch above their weight. But anything more is nonsense.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    I read about a possible m-sport drive for Paddon in Finland but it is an article without sources (he just talk about finnish tabloid... but doesn't link to anything).
    I guess it's almost clickbait, let's see..

Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    Things happen for reasons, not excuses.

5. Likes: GravelBen (3rd July 2019),Maui J. (3rd July 2019)
    Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk2 RS2000 View Post
    Wonder what Hyundai Korea thinks about that....

---------------

Anyway I will repost what I wrote in the NRF thread, cause it will likely get lost there:

I actually think Paddon can fight for podium as the Fiesta has showed it is fast on fast stages this year and Paddon was fast in Finland previously.

However the big question is what next?

Is he doing this just cause he is pissed off at Hyundai and does not have any money/plan for other rallies just hoping it will sort itself (aka. Atkinson 2009)? If he only does Finland then even a podium won't be enough to secure him a seat next year.

EDIT: Might be that while he does not have a plan for rest of the year he sees that if he doesn't show up in Finland and prove he can be fast (which is very likely) he will definitely drop out as important deals are likey made in next month or two. He can't expect to do well in Germany and Turkey in mid-september is too late and most drivers could be signed by then. Looking at it that way it does make good sense to start in Finland even without a plan.
    Last edited by mknight; 3rd July 2019 at 21:11.

Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    [QUOTE=mknight;1222822]Wonder what Hyundai Korea thinks about that....
    QUOTE]

Think this part of Andy Sinclair's statement makes it very clear what the stance of Hyundai NZ is.

Sinclair adds: “Hayden is a Hyundai NZ driver and ambassador, and most importantly, he is representing New Zealand, which means more to us than what model of car he is driving. As a 100 per cent Kiwi-owned company, our decision to support a New Zealand sportsperson of Hayden’s calibre is easy. Hayden is, and will continue to be, a fine ambassador for the Hyundai brand in New Zealand. He’s a New Zealander competing on a global scale with international fame, yet has
    remained humble, grounded and rooted to his home country
    Things happen for reasons, not excuses.

8. Likes: cali (4th July 2019),pantealex (3rd July 2019),steve.mandzij (4th July 2019)
    Liked 52 Times in 29 Posts
    If he sticks on the podium that'd be a huge result, top 5 would be a solid finish after a lengthy break from the WRC.

If he beats Breen he has the peace of mind that he should have been the driver in the seat (based on pace). We have no idea of the business decision behind Hyundai choosing Breen (money, trial for 2020 etc.) and glad to see both drivers back in cars for Finland. Should be a great event.

Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
    Makes total marketing sense for Hyundai to get Breen on board. Hyundai is a significant brand in Ireland. Hyundai Tucson has been a market leader in Ireland.

With the electric power cable to be laid between France and Ireland - it will be straight forward for Ireland to power an electric vehicle fleet on a 'not too big' island. Hyundai has a number of additional electric vehicles planned to go with the full electric vehicles that they already sell. (Something Paddon already plans for, (the paddon team hyundai i30 tcr race car purchase, and paddon could possibly have a stronger electric vehicle future with Hyundai NZ than he might have with another brand)
    Ireland intends to invest in renewable type power - wind turbines that might send surplus power to France and Ireland get nuclear power when the winds are not blowing enough.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/03/04...p-541-in-2019/ (Hyundai Kona etc)

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...rket-1.3719699 (Hyundai Tucson - ireland)
    Last edited by Zeakiwi2; 3rd July 2019 at 23:03.

Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Now Paddon is hot on the market again. Doing good job in Finland will do him even better.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 86 Times in 23 Posts
    Happy for Paddon. I wish him to beat Hyundai in Finland in a straight fight just for karma reasons...

13. Likes: GravelBen (4th July 2019),Maui J. (4th July 2019)