Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Hayden Paddon

Liked 1,594 Times in 724 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Since then, apparat from local rallies, he crashed on pre-Finland test, went off road in GB only scoring 2 fastest R5 times and didn't start in AU.
    To be correct "AU didn't start for Paddon" not "Paddon didn't start in AU".

2. Likes: GravelBen (13th November 2019)
    Liked 256 Times in 160 Posts
    He was hoping for more outings or full season with Hyundai and get sacked. I think teams didn't pay attention at all since Ogier and Neuville was free. Meeke grabs a chance at Toyota, Citroen was only interested in Ogier and then Lappi, he was pretty good last year. M-Sport chose well proven recipe with Evans and Suninen and third payed car. Again Hyundai didn't want him since there was Mikkelsen, Sordo and Loeb. What would they do with Paddon?

He could have a chance if Evans really goes to Toyota and Mikkelsen doesn't show up in Fiesta. Paddon could drive for free there. And I think they will not run third car full season just for him (we all know that's renting car for one off's). Maybe a chance if Loeb retire again and Breen doesn't deliver. But that could come until 2021. Or are they are offering him NZ drive.

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Last year at this time Paddon just finished 2nd in Australia and was 3rd in Turkey. Nobody picked him then. Most notably MSport didn't, even though Evans had a horrible season.

Since then, apparat from local rallies, he crashed on pre-Finland test, went off road in GB only scoring 2 fastest R5 times and didn't start in AU.
    How is this more likely to get him a seat at the end of this year I wonder.
    This time last year he was effectively only available to Hyundai, who were still screwing him around telling him they would give him more drives. So saying its notable that MSport didn't pick him makes no sense at all.

Everyone knows the Finland testing crash wasn't his fault, but you're right that it prevented him from showing a result.

5. Likes: AnttiL (13th November 2019),Fast Eddie WRC (14th November 2019)
    Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    This time last year he was effectively only available to Hyundai, who were still screwing him around telling him they would give him more drives. So saying its notable that MSport didn't pick him makes no sense at all.
    You think that if MSport came and asked if he wants to drive for them instead of Evans or as a 3rd car he would say no and that he wants to hope for more rallies at Hyundai? I doubt that.
    Don't see how he wasn't "available" to them as he had no contract, just hope.
    MSPORT money making policy is another matter though.

Liked 256 Times in 160 Posts
    They don't just chase people, except if his surname is Ogier or lately Tanak. People come to them

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Real shame for him and it's amplified by hearing him sound so defeatist now (but you can understand why).

I just dont know why Msport wouldn't run him or Mikkelsen (no wage), even in just a few rallies if they do lose Evans. But it sounds like he must have already been told he has no chance with them, unless he brings the cash...

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    You think that if MSport came and asked if he wants to drive for them instead of Evans or as a 3rd car he would say no and that he wants to hope for more rallies at Hyundai? I doubt that.
    Don't see how he wasn't "available" to them as he had no contract, just hope.
    MSPORT money making policy is another matter though.
    That was well before Hyundai NZ had said they were happy for him to drive for a different WRC team without compromising his long-term relationship with them in NZ, and while there was no contract it wasn't just 'hope' either, from what I've heard Hyundai WRC made him a lot of promises that they never followed through on.

MSport do seem to sabotage their own potential by taking less capable pay-drivers over fast, experienced drivers who are available but can't afford to (and shouldn't have to) buy drives. If they do lose Evans to Toyota then Paddon, Mikkelsen and Suninen would be a pretty strong team of available drivers who won't pay but probably won't cost too much either - but more likely they will take Suninen, Greensmith paying (I'm not saying he doesn't have potential, but he isn't a contender yet) and a third car swapping between other pay drivers.

A month or two ago Paddon was trying to put together a half season with MSport for next year, but maybe that has fallen through. It could be that Aus being cancelled = no return on investment for his sponsors that were paying for that round = not enough funding to make an MSport deal happen for next year.

Liked 9,343 Times in 4,962 Posts
    I'm a fan of Paddon and do feel for him, but I think he was really trying to have his cake and eat it.

With his rally business there and connection with Hyundai NZ, he was trying to keep that AND have a full-time WRC drive in a European-based team.

I'm afraid to have the latter he needed to cut his NZ links and move to Europe and go all-in on WRC.
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    However Paddon is one of 5-6 fastest guys, and still quite young, so big failure from teams if they ignore him.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

12. Likes: AndyRAC (15th November 2019),GravelBen (14th November 2019),KiwiWRCfan (14th November 2019),Maui J. (15th November 2019),Mk2 RS2000 (15th November 2019)
    Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
    Lots of nearly men in the wrc's history.(e.g Mikael Ericsson spelling?) Commercial sense / economics dictates who drives - preference for those with a big suitcase of cash.
    Paddon will still have the electric rally car to develop back in NZ. Some form of rallycross probably in Europe - electric or gas.

Paddon also has the NZ TCR race circuit series so he is not short of machines to drive.

Even have his cross-kart out for a play soon.
    Last edited by Zeakiwi2; 14th November 2019 at 23:38.