Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Hayden Paddon

Liked 12,164 Times in 5,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    I'm afraid to agree with you.

unfortunately im afraid of the same. Which is a big shame.

Cant he do his "future securing" with another manufacturer than Hyundai or later after the career?

His loyalty to the team hasnt done anything good for him so far and IMO they have treated him like shit. This may sound arrogant from me, but as long as he says he doesnt cut the ties with them he shouldnt complain on social media about not getting drives, because Hyundai (or someone there) doesnt like him and the others cant hire him.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

2. Likes: AL14 (27th June 2019),racerx1979 (26th June 2019)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    seems that Paddon is paying his contrary with Neuville years back.
    There are a lot of things we dont know from these days.

4. Likes: logic (27th June 2019)
    Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    I'm pleased for Breen, but this smells like a plate of salmon, that's been left out in direct sunlight for a week.

Can't help picturing the scene, when Haydon completed rally Australia 2nd overall, the cameras diverted to the Hyundai squads office, and not one clap, not a smile on anyone's face, just the look of a team thinking why did he just do that, as if he had just binned it from 1st place on the last corner of the last stage of the rally.

Needs to sack Hyundai and try and get a drive at m sport IMO.
    Why waste time trying to secure a future with a manufacturer that is threatening to pull out if the don't win a championship anyway.

6. Likes: AL14 (27th June 2019),EstWRC (26th June 2019),GravelBen (27th June 2019),Rally Hokkaido (27th June 2019),Rallyper (26th June 2019),steve.mandzij (26th June 2019),the sniper (26th June 2019),TWRC (26th June 2019)
    Liked 12,164 Times in 5,216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    I'm pleased for Breen, but this smells like a plate of salmon, that's been left out in direct sunlight for a week.

Can't help picturing the scene, when Haydon completed rally Australia 2nd overall, the cameras diverted to the Hyundai squads office, and not one clap, not a smile on anyone's face, just the look of a team thinking why did he just do that, as if he had just binned it from 1st place on the last corner of the last stage of the rally.

Needs to sack Hyundai and try and get a drive at m sport IMO.
    Why waste time trying to secure a future with a manufacturer that is threatening to pull out if the don't win a championship anyway.
    exactly, cant understand it either.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 105 Times in 53 Posts
    I can understand being the rare not-rich WRC driver and having a concern for your ongoing career post-competition, but would it really be so bad for Hyundai NZ if he drove another car in an international competition that doesn't even visit NZ anymore? His local commitments are with a local company branch. Unless Hyundai NZ are saying "everything's kaput if you drive anybody else's car" I guess.

Even then, New Zealand does not have a huge selection of international level sportspeople for local companies to sponsor, especially in motorsport. It doesn't seem like career suicide to sever ties if it means building your international success (thus local sponsor-ability) further.

I just remember Greg Murphy, a locally (Aus-NZ) known V8 Supercars champion, being on TV constantly as THE New Zealand motorsport guy, selling pies with his name on it, etc. And he is (in my view) less accomplished than a World Championship event winner of any stripe.

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    What about Scott Dixon, Earl Bamber & Brendon Hartley? How well are they known in NZ?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    What about Scott Dixon, Earl Bamber & Brendon Hartley? How well are they known in NZ?
    Among the wider public I'd say Dixon is very well known, Hartley moderately known (due to F1 getting more media coverage), Bamber (along with others who have done well in GT etc) not very well known at all. The V8 supertaxi drivers are better recognised here - Van Gisbergen, McLaughlin, Coulthard currently as well as Murphy etc in their day. Thats probably just a reflection of the popularity of the series, I think far more people in NZ would watch V8 racing than F1, GT or WRC.

Paddon is probably as well known as any of them now though I think, and local rallying is popular with 100+ car entries to some events and a lot of spectators out on the stages.

11. Likes: kirungi okwogera (28th June 2019),Rally Hokkaido (27th June 2019),Rallyper (27th June 2019),the sniper (27th June 2019)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    Cant he do his "future securing" with another manufacturer than Hyundai or later after the career?
    Would mean quitting his current business

Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Would it mean quitting it, or switching to a different manufacturer? I don't really know anything about his business venture, but surely Ford and Toyota at least have as much general presence in NZ as Hyundai.

What happens if Hyundai Motorsport pull the plug at some point, does that not have any impact on Hayden's future company plans? Genuine question as I say I'm not up to speed on his operation.

14. Likes: cali (27th June 2019)
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Why would that be?
    Duval was and is a toyota dealer and drove citroen and ford.
    Loeb is hyundai driver and rents peugeot and vw.

Unless hyundai NZ says no and pays him a lot for it, there is not a single reason why he shouldn't try a different team.