Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    And the spectators are standing still to honor the heroes. It's like a siren.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 101 Times in 36 Posts
    Well like it or not, electric cars are the future. If manufacturers want to stay competitive in the market they need to start producing EV across their range. Plus be involved in electric motorsport if they want to use that avenue as a form of marketing for their brand.

Fossil fuel vehicles will become a thing of the past. France, the UK, Norway, Netherlands and Germany have all called for new cars to be emission-free or low emission by dates varying from 2025 to 2040. Other countries will follow this lead.

Sure the Opel Corsa-e and the Hyundai Kona EV rally car being developed in NZ by Hayden Paddon, https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motors...ally-car-plans
    don't sound super exciting at the moment but it's a start. And we need to start somewhere.
    We could wait 20 years and start then, but to me the clever ones are the ones starting now.

Sure, the fire is always a risk. Isn't being a soft skinned fragile human, driving through the forest at 150Km/h in a metal box a risk anyway?Technology will probably have an answer. Like some form of fireproof, bullet-proof, oxygen starved capsule to hold the batteries. I don't really know the answer to this but I'm sure the FIA will insist on strict safety measures.

The manufacturers who are showing an interest now in e-Rallying now will have the head start on the rest.

Seems like people can't handle change.

3. Likes: AnttiL (23rd August 2019),NickRally (23rd August 2019)
    Liked 1,120 Times in 599 Posts
    Nobody buys electric cars unless they are heavily subsidized.
    In reaction to that, manufacturers are not interested in electric cars except as PR.

As soon as the few western governments, and especially the eu stop promoting that bullshit, the electric car is done for.

5. Likes: Rally Power (23rd August 2019)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Z View Post
    Yes, but there are much less fans than in 1985... TV doesn't even want to show rallying anymore...
    I forgot to reply to this. In Finland the TV coverage of the WRC is probably better than ever (all the same as WRC+ with Finnish reporters talking over the footage and doing some additional features). On a free channel.

7. Likes: Jarek Z (23rd August 2019),pantealex (23rd August 2019)
    Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    In reaction to that, manufacturers are not interested in electric cars except as PR.

As soon as the few western governments, and especially the eu stop promoting that bullshit, the electric car is done for.
    Wrong.
    When electric cars+fuel cost about the same as petrol cars everyone buys them for anything but long range trips.
    - simpler to use (changing gears is gone, service minimalized)
    - no smell from fuel/oil/exhaust
    - no irritating noise (for most people)

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    I think this is the wrong forum to talk about which is the right fuel alternative for cars in general, we should focus on rallying.

However, we can't change the fact that car manufacturers are now heavily interested in selling electric rally cars, and in the end rallying is just their marketing tool.

I think this Opel project is a good prototype and starting point. We might see that it won't work, but at least someone is trying something.

10. Likes: cali (23rd August 2019),Maui J. (23rd August 2019)
    Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    It is so naive to shout "electric cars are the future". Development has this funny way of surprising us all. Well combustion is for sure not the future but I believe there will be a few interesting alternatives being presented in the next 10 years. And because of that, the WRC, a bit like F1 is doing atm, should be looking for those.

12. Likes: Rally Power (23rd August 2019)
    Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    However, we can't change the fact that car manufacturers are now heavily interested in selling electric rally cars, and in the end rallying is just their marketing tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis44 View Post
    It is so naive to shout "electric cars are the future". Development has this funny way of surprising us all. Well combustion is for sure not the future but I believe there will be a few interesting alternatives being presented in the next 10 years. And because of that, the WRC, a bit like F1 is doing atm, should be looking for those.
    Manufacturers are making, selling and developing electric cars right now , sure the total numbers sold worldwide are not exactly huge but the number of models being introduced right now is big.
    Check out any new announcements or automotive exhibitions, you have petrol car and then about 1/3 of new announcements are electric. For small cars (which are the "base" for rallying) it's much higher. Electric cars are the "present" new technology.

Rally has always been "hanging after" a bit in the last 20 years, (turbo engines when everyone stopped using them around 2005, then 2l without turbo just as everyone started downsizing..), so to think that rally will suddenly jump over what is currently the main trend (electric and hybrid) and go for something in the future (hydrogen) is plain crazy. F1 has been using hybrids for 10 years, so no wonder they will be looking on what to do next.

14. Likes: AnttiL (23rd August 2019)
    Liked 1,120 Times in 599 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Wrong.
    When electric cars+fuel cost about the same as petrol cars everyone buys them for anything but long range trips.
    - simpler to use (changing gears is gone, service minimalized)
    - no smell from fuel/oil/exhaust
    - no irritating noise (for most people)
    Last year 1,4% of global car sales was electric. 1,26 million electric versus 85 millions fossil fuel.
    There are about 1,4 billion cars in the world, about 5 million or 0,35% of those are electric.
    That is the reality. Nobody buys electric cars unless they are forced to or they are heavily subsidized.

Some here have a very distorted view due to western pro electric propaganda, but just looking at what the car manufacturers actually build and especially sell should make it clear that they are not truly interested in electric cars.

Liked 1,368 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post

That might be correct, but for normal road use, give them a chance, they will surprize you.

Here in Norway they are heavy subsidiced. None of the strage fees put on the price when you buy it new, and no VAT on E-Cars
    On a normal 115 hp Golf vs e-Golf, the e-Golf et aprox 12 000 euro less tax/fees.
    A normal petrol 115 hp Golf cost aprox 33 000 euro as a startprice.

More advantages: No yearly fees, can drive in the bus-lane, you can park them for free a lot of places, you do not have to pay on toll roads, low maintenence costs, very little noise, cheap insurance.

I drive 120 km (2x60) each day to work. If i were to use my old diesel car, that would cost me aprox 6000 euro only in diesel.
    I have a small e-Up! as a commuter car. Charge it at home for aprox 8 euro a month, and charge it for free at the workplace. All in all a very good deal, both for me and the environment!

So now we have 3 electric cars in the household, and we have saved, and continue to save a lot of money!

When it comes to motorsport, it is more or less only Formula E that is operational in the FIA system. Next out is rallycross I guess.
    Formula E is for me boring, even if it is ok racing - something is missing - sound!

It is coming, if we like it or not. VW will stop making diesel and petrol engined cars in a few years, and same direction will come for many other manufacturers. Maybe also US cars will have to leave their beloved V8 sooner than Trump hopes!

I would like to see a few races in Rallycross before I conclude on electric Motorsport, but it might fit rallycross well come to think of it. Instant torque and huge number of Kw could be cool!

17. Likes: AnttiL (23rd August 2019),Jarek Z (23rd August 2019),Maui J. (23rd August 2019),pantealex (23rd August 2019)