Page 230 of 277 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232240 ... LastLast
Results 2,291 to 2,300 of 2763
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    Is that really the case though? I completely agree that the cars aren't nearly as exciting and don't sound even a fraction as good, but all the retro races I watch seem to be pretty tame, certainly no more exciting than races we've had this season.

Edit: BTW I'm not necessarily saying that current crop is better, just questioning whether the 80s were really that good other than having stuff like 6R4s
    When you ask ‘is it really though’.... are you on about rallying being better or rallycross being worse? Either way, yes to both.

You made the point that motorsport catagories have developed.. what’s that got to do with spectacle?

And you shouldn’t, at all, compare current retro rallycross with what used to occur, because it was fantastic, proper, on the edge stuff.

Have you seen any of the 80s / 90s rallycross in the flesh? Or even on YouTube etc? Just watch any rallycross GP from Brands... I just wish the promoters could see what’s happening before it’s too late.

To put it into perspective, it wouldn’t even have been a better year, by much, even if there was a different winner every round.
    The cars are just too efficient and similar across all performance indicators.

It’s serving a fan-boy market at present, but I can’t see it lasting as those who watch it will soon realise that are seeing the same shit every race event.

Give me Gollop, Schanche, Holm, Nittimaki (I think), 6R4, RS200 and a Turbo16 any day over these guys. You would literally hold your breath from the green light until the moment the flag dropped.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    When you ask ‘is it really though’.... are you on about rallying being better or rallycross being worse? Either way, yes to both.

You made the point that motorsport catagories have developed.. what’s that got to do with spectacle?

And you shouldn’t, at all, compare current retro rallycross with what used to occur, because it was fantastic, proper, on the edge stuff.

Have you seen any of the 80s / 90s rallycross in the flesh? Or even on YouTube etc? Just watch any rallycross GP from Brands... I just wish the promoters could see what’s happening before it’s too late.

To put it into perspective, it wouldn’t even have been a better year, by much, even if there was a different winner every round.
    The cars are just too efficient and similar across all performance indicators.

It’s serving a fan-boy market at present, but I can’t see it lasting as those who watch it will soon realise that are seeing the same shit every race event.

Give me Gollop, Schanche, Holm, Nittimaki (I think), 6R4, RS200 and a Turbo16 any day over these guys. You would literally hold your breath from the green light until the moment the flag dropped.
    I should clarify, when I referred to retro rallycross, I didn't mean Retro Rallycross, rather the old footage of Group B stuff. The actual racing that I've seen really isn't that great although, as above, the cars were definitely more exciting to watch.

No I haven't seen it live, but I've watched a reasonable amount on YouTube etc. and races really don't look any closer than what we've seen this season.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 9,343 Times in 4,962 Posts
    I well remember watching rallycross back in the 80/90's and yes, it was great. The cars were crazy and specacular and there was a real variety.

But like in other motorsport, everything progesses. And just like WRC where all the cars are little hatchbacks, the cars become more similar and the Regs dont allow for a variety of styles. Drivers have become way more professional and Teams more efficient due to cash restraints.

Modern WRX may not be like the old days but its what we have and I try to enjoy it anyway. If its good enough for Mssrs Solberg & Loeb, it cant be that bad.

4. Likes: pantealex (27th November 2018)
    Liked 144 Times in 87 Posts
    I do believe 80's/90's RX was a lot more exiting. Cars where not tha efficient like they are now, wich resulted in more wild action i guess.
    What we are seeing now is super efficient little bombs, whit some of the best drivers in them, Some races still have the action we all hope for (like semi final 2 at mettet this year), but looking at the greater picture i think the exitment has dropped.

Full works teams are very nice? but when they leave they could well leave the sport in a serius dip

Liked 158 Times in 100 Posts
    I don't think this season has been the most memorable in the (short) history of World Rallycross, but I do think that what Kristoffersson has achieved in 2018 is being sold short based on how strong the PSRXVW Polo was in 2017.

I personally think that the PSRXVW, EKS and Peugeot Total cars were all much closer this year (I would say the battle for second place is evidence of this). Discounting victory at Barcelona, Johan has outperformed every other driver out on track this year and, when you consider who was in the top seven cars, that's pretty bloody impressive.

For me the biggest issue this year was the tracks. They have been slowly straying away from the traditional venues (which, to an extent, I can understand), but the replacements have been variable in quality and some (specifically thinking CotA) were bloody awful.

As for spectacle I think the current cars are bloody awesome. Something that is often overlooked when the 80's/90's rose tinted spectacles come out is that, although the cars back there were spectacular, they were also rather unreliable. Like the progression in rally, modern rallycross cars are a lot more reliable as well as being silly quick (as much as people gripe, I would say that is one of the benefits that restrictions have brought). Yeah, driving styles have changed with the technology, but there is still plenty of sideways action.

I have seen a lot of comments online already with people proclaiming the death of World Rallycross next year and I think it's a bit soon to start making sweeping statements like that.
    "If in doubt... flat out!"

7. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (27th November 2018),MrJan (27th November 2018),pantealex (27th November 2018)
    Senior Member Arnold Triyudho Wardono's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I wonder if PSRX will developing the new Polo GTi RX..?

Sent from my A12 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Triyudho Wardono View Post
    I wonder if PSRX will developing the new Polo GTi RX..?
    The PSRXVW rallycross car will probably carry GTI branding again next year if they are trying to push the new model (it was "Polo GTI" in 2017 and "Polo R" this year).

Still wish that VW would put a Polo R in the showroom though!

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Now that the new generation Polo is also out as a R5, there`s a question how long they like to promo their involvment with the older chassis, it is good yes, but...

11. Likes: Arnold Triyudho Wardono (28th November 2018),pantealex (28th November 2018),the sniper (28th November 2018)
    Liked 797 Times in 379 Posts
    http://www.globalrallycross.com/no-t...o4mb9XB_agLs7s

What is this? No teams in WRX2019, not even VWPSRX?
    Radioreporter @ www.radiomotor.no

KNA Lillehammer Motorsport

Quote Originally Posted by skarderud View Post
    http://www.globalrallycross.com/no-t...o4mb9XB_agLs7s

What is this? No teams in WRX2019, not even VWPSRX?
    Just seen this article being shared on Facebook. Might be true, but I am very dubious about the source. Never seen any credible stories from this website before.

14. Likes: Sub_Skoda (30th November 2018)