Page 213 of 277 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215223263 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 2762
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Szabo, Nitiss and Raymond all clearly quicker in the Euros and stood out from the rest of the field.

Johan just immense all weekend, still have no idea how he avoided first corner shenanigans in every race.

Good weekend other than the rain at the close of play on Saturday. Some really exciting races on Saturday, especially the 1600s who weren’t very good at behaving. I was with a mate that doesn’t really like motorsport so seeing two cars roll in the first 5 races was a good introduction.

Couple of downsides, primarily that you can’t take food or drink into the circuit, don’t think I’ve ever seen that at another motorsport venue. Also I couldn’t work out how to wander the track as I wanted to watch down by the forest section where general admission can go. In the end spend the whole weekend in grandstand B overlooking the last corner, seemed the best spot on the track IMO. Oh and hated having music playing at the start of the race, the sound of anti-lag provides far more theatre than some crappy electronic music.

Thinking of heading back next year though, Riga old town is very nice and found a great bar that had decent live music (mostly cover bands) every evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

2. Likes: tbtstt (18th September 2018)
    Liked 158 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    Couple of downsides, primarily that you can’t take food or drink into the circuit, don’t think I’ve ever seen that at another motorsport venue. Also I couldn’t work out how to wander the track as I wanted to watch down by the forest section where general admission can go. In the end spend the whole weekend in grandstand B overlooking the last corner, seemed the best spot on the track IMO. Oh and hated having music playing at the start of the race, the sound of anti-lag provides far more theatre than some crappy electronic music.

Thinking of heading back next year though, Riga old town is very nice and found a great bar that had decent live music (mostly cover bands) every evening.
    Very interested to read your thoughts on the circuit (and Riga in general). Of the European rounds this looks like one of the easier ones to attend as everything (i.e. airport and town center) seem to be in very close proximity to the circuit.

I did wonder about the viewing situation as, from the TV coverage, you only see spectators in the grandstands and nowhere else around the track. What was the overview of the whole track like from your grandstand? Did you have to reserve the grandstand seats, or did you just pick the ones you wanted?
    "If in doubt... flat out!"

It’s really easy to get to as a quick bus journey from airport to old town and then a short walk and bus to the track.

Viewing is a bit limited so you watch a lot of the race on the screen, from where we were it was a case of watching the TV for the back half of the track but had good visibility of the joker section, last corner and first chicane. Commentary and interviews are partly in English so you don’t feel completely cut off by virtue of being too lazy to learn Latvian.

You have tickets to a specific grandstand but in our stand it’s first come/first serve and a lot of people put stuff on seats to claim them. Easy to find spots on your own but a bit trickier in a group of 4.

Riga itself is very nice in the old town and we were near some really good bars and shops. Don’t expect 50p a pint though. There weren’t as many stag parties as I expected, just a few about on Saturday evening. There are some pretty run down parts as well and a few spots I wouldn’t be keen to walk at night on my own. Oh and a lot of people inviting you to strip clubs.

We were there as part of a longer holiday so had a bit more chance to explore. Went to see some basketball on the Friday evening which was entertaining enough (largely because of the cheerleaders, can’t say I really ‘get’ basketball), and a few museums and stuff on Monday. The KGB building was quite eye opening, so we cheered ourselves up with a visit to the war museum...certainly puts returning to work today into perspective.

5. Likes: sindroms (19th September 2018),tbtstt (19th September 2018)
    Cheers for that info MrJan. Having done far fewer World RX trips than I would like in 2018 I am hoping to rectify that next year and Riga is definitely one of those towards the top of my list.

Just seen the news that Mettet is off the 2019 calendar, real shame to see that go as I liked the circuit and Mettet was the easiest European round to get to from the UK.

7. Likes: Arnold Triyudho Wardono (19th September 2018)
    Liked 359 Times in 191 Posts
    Johan just immense all weekend, still have no idea how he avoided first corner shenanigans in every race.
    P1 in Q1, 3 and 4 gave him the inside line pole for the one subsequent round. Of course, he made great starts, but this was a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
    Cheers for that info MrJan. Having done far fewer World RX trips than I would like in 2018 I am hoping to rectify that next year and Riga is definitely one of those towards the top of my list.

Just seen the news that Mettet is off the 2019 calendar, real shame to see that go as I liked the circuit and Mettet was the easiest European round to get to from the UK.
    Yeah, I spent most of yesterday thinking about where I want to go next year. Thinking of Riga again as it’ll be a good trip with the old man. I’m also keen on Loheac but ferries cost a fortune and flights seem to be SEN which is a long drive for me!
    Haven’t seen anything of the 2019 calendar but Estering looks like a fun track and reasonably close to Hamburg.

Yeah, I spent most of yesterday thinking about where I want to go next year. Thinking of Riga again as it’ll be a good trip with the old man. I’m also keen on Loheac but ferries cost a fortune and flights seem to be SEN which is a long drive for me!
    Haven’t seen anything of the 2019 calendar but Estering looks like a fun track and reasonably close to Hamburg.
    This year is the first time I have done Loheac by air rather than road and it was a much easier weekend.

When doing it by road we have set off in the early hours of Friday in order to arrive (at self-catering accommodation) in the Loheac area Friday afternoon. We have driven back immediately after the final on Sunday but it's a race to make it back for the last train (plus it makes it a really long day), so the preferable option has been to head back home on the Monday.

This time we flew to Rennes (via Southend) on Friday morning. We hired a car from the airport and stayed at a hotel just outside the airport and right beside the motorway. It was a 20 minute drive to the circuit (down the motorway) and the track is right beside the exit so we were able to go to the Friday evening practice as well as the two days of racing.

We flew back (to City airport) on Sunday evening, so we had to leg it to the car as soon as the final finished in order to get out of the circuit ASAP. The final finished at 4 and we were at Rennes airport with the hire car returned and a beer in hand by quarter past 5: the flight out was at 7 so it worked out perfectly. The time shift worked in our favour heading home, so we landed in the UK at 7 and I was home by 9.

It was more expensive going with the flight/hire car/hotel option (especially as just two of us made the journey when we have previously gone with three or four in the car), but the travel was a lot more relaxing!

Senior Member Arnold Triyudho Wardono's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post

That's sucks.. Looks like WRX will go to Spa..

Sent from my A12 using Tapatalk

When I looked at Loheac it was possible to get an early morning flight so you land at 10am and practice didn’t start until 12pm, so in theory could get there for the start. Flight back was about 10pm, so again you could be home on Sunday evening. The problem for me is that Southend is about 5 hours drive away. The other option is to get the ferry from Plymouth on a Friday night, getting to France at 8am, then sail back on Monday. Trouble with that is the ferry is £400 even without a cabin to sleep in.

Hell was easily done with camping etc. landing late Friday night and coming home on the Sunday. If I lived closer to LHR/LGW then these trips would be far easier, but really I need to leave Exeter at least 6 hours before flight time to be safe.

Any clues what tracks might want to replace Mettet?

Liked 59 Times in 43 Posts
    WHAT!?!! No more Mettet? SPA is the rumor???
    WTF IS HAPPENING TO MOTORSPORTS =´[