Page 204 of 218 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214 ... LastLast
Results 2,031 to 2,040 of 2176
    Liked 942 Times in 660 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Essaj View Post
    This, No clue what they're trying to accomplish in WRX, it just seems a massive waste of money.
    For me (even if i'm a motorsport fan) it seems that in the finals there is always the same 6 drivers. Just think about it, you have no change to be at the finals if you aint backed by a manufacturer who is spending a shit ton of money on the team.
    No idea how expensive it's to drive WRC car today as a privateer but WRC2 car is around 200€+ per km + insurance and tires and I don't even want to imagine how much is it for driving in a top class in WRX - Must be thousands if not more and then compare that to the visibility of the sport.

How are you suppose to find new talent and any interest to a sport when no one can afford it, Nitiss and Heikkinen were both forced to stop when they couldn't find enough money to back their seasons.

Does someone know how is the viewership between WRX to WRC?
    I don't think it's massive money. There was some info not very far long it's about 15 mils per year, I think (but could be 20, or 30 at most). And probably most of them are paid by the sponsors. In comparison VW endeavor in WRC was costing roughly 100 mils per year, I have no idea about WEC costs, but probably it's similar considering all the technologies there. All-in-all WRX is cheap championship, otherwise they won't be there, would they?
    Last edited by stefanvv; 3rd July 2018 at 02:20.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

2. Likes: AndyRAC (3rd July 2018),pantealex (3rd July 2018)
    Liked 249 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv View Post
    I don't think it's massive money. There was some info not very far long it's about 15 mils per year, I think (but could be 20, or 30 at most). And probably most of them are paid by the sponsors. In comparison VW endeavor in WRC was costing roughly 100 mils per year, I have no idea about WEC costs, but probably it's similar considering all the technologies there. All-in-all WRX is cheap championship, otherwise they won't be there, would they?
    But what happens when you compare that to the amount of publicity let's say against rallying in the highest level?
    For manufacturers 15-30mils might be cheap but it's still a lot of money considering amount of kilometers they get shown in media - and imagine that cost for privateers.

In Finland WRX is pretty much gone now from the media. When Heikkinen was still in there, there was some still some interest but now that he is gone it's just Grönholm doing mediocore results with a mediocore team so the sport doesn't get any publicity outside of pure Motosport journalism.

IMHO Rallycross is kinda like drifting, it's good fun untill it gets too serious. Then it just becomes so expensive that only the big names survive.
    Last edited by Essaj; 3rd July 2018 at 02:47.

4. Likes: janvanvurpa (3rd July 2018)
    Liked 472 Times in 258 Posts

How are you suppose to find new talent and any interest to a sport when no one can afford it?

Evidently the correct way to find new talent is to look across the dinner table and to try and remember how old your son sitting there is...judging from the miraculous frequency that sons of former drivers are "found" to be the best prospect..

Or maybe its a new inheritable genetic trait passed by genes.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

6. Likes: b3637853 (3rd July 2018)
    Liked 854 Times in 424 Posts
    Renting good WRX supercar cost more than renting WRC2, but way less than renting WRC17.

and even you had money, teams don´t have extra cars available, so you can only fight for places 6-12.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 301 Times in 182 Posts
    it seems that in the finals there is always the same 6 drivers.
    Not one race this season has had the same 6 drivers in the final.

Why are Audi etc in RX? Because it'll be comparatively cheap (compared to WEC, F1 & WRC), a lot of countries have free to view coverage, it's more accessible than WRC (not spread over 3-4 days) and the championship is going electric so they can boast about eco credentials (which will help them gloss over dieselgate...why do you think VW threw money at Pikes Peak). It may not be considered 'serious' motorsport by many, but as a advertising vehicle it strikes me as pretty good 'bang for buck'.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

9. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (3rd July 2018),pantealex (3rd July 2018)
    Liked 226 Times in 130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    Not one race this season has had the same 6 drivers in the final.

Why are Audi etc in RX? Because it'll be comparatively cheap (compared to WEC, F1 & WRC), a lot of countries have free to view coverage, it's more accessible than WRC (not spread over 3-4 days) and the championship is going electric so they can boast about eco credentials (which will help them gloss over dieselgate...why do you think VW threw money at Pikes Peak). It may not be considered 'serious' motorsport by many, but as a advertising vehicle it strikes me as pretty good 'bang for buck'.
    Totally agree. Certain people within the WRC want more emphasis on the service park so that corporate guests and fans(?) can be entertained and obviously sold product/team merchandise whilst they are there. WRX or World Rallycross as this old fart prefers to call it has this already taped with the added bonus is that all the action takes place in the same area not miles away in the sticks. Lots of time for media interviews/dancing girls and all that tat that seems to go with "demographic focused" sport these days.

Back in the day especially the early to mid 90s there was talk that the European Rallycross championship as it was then was F1's biggest rival fan/media/tv coverage wise certainly in Europe and that a certain Mr Ecclestone was actively encouraging his mates at the FIA to limit its appeal. This is at a time remember when the old Group B cars were still around run mainly by hairy arsed Scandanvians and Brits out of the back of converted coaches. Other than an amount of support from Citroen for Hansen and Ford for Schanche the majority were privateers some better funded than others.

IMO we should be celebrating the sport just now as suspect the balance will tip even more in the favour of the factory teams once it goes electric..

11. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (3rd July 2018),MrJan (3rd July 2018),pantealex (3rd July 2018),TWRC (4th July 2018)
    M-Sport WRC Champions Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Liked 4,437 Times in 2,367 Posts
    It's mostly the same driver's / teams in the Finals as they are the best. Thats how sport works.

Other drivers and teams have the chance to come in and compete but they havent been able to beat the established guys.

One idea might be to reduce the number of Qualifying rounds, so if a top guy has a bad race someone lower down could have chance to make a SF or Final...

Liked 160 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BleAivano View Post
    It seems that Whatever EKS do he will be penalized. Earlier this season Petter went for a gap and EKS got DSQ, now EKS goes for a gap and gets DSQ.
    Quite an important difference. Solberg was beside, and was always beside. Ekström never cleared Solberg, and turned in.
    Here he just drove in to Hansen to make his gap. As Ekström said himself to Swedish Television, when he looked at the footage, he realized he should've been 20-30cm further in to avoid contact in the first place.

Liked 99 Times in 63 Posts
    How are you suppose to find new talent and any interest to a sport when no one can afford it, Nitiss and Heikkinen were both forced to stop when they couldn't find enough money to back their seasons.
    I'm sure money was a factor, but Heikkinen hasn't delivered any decent results for some time, the EKS S1 was wasted in his hands last year.

The six works cars (seven if you include Kevin Hansen) have had a ton of money and development thrown at them, so it's to be expected that those cars are going to be certainties for the semis. With a decent development driver pushing them I think the GCK cars could be regular finalists as well, but I don't think Chichiret or Grosset-Janin have the experience to help refine the cars (Grosset-Janin is a great driver though).

Why are Audi committed to the WRX? Electric rallycross. They were one of the first manufacturers to talk about it.
    "If in doubt... flat out!"

15. Likes: pantealex (4th July 2018)
    Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
    Kristofferson has been dominant this year, and impressively so. The package of car and driver is very solid, so it's well deserved.
    From second to seventh it's very even, a lot more even than it has been for years and years in WRC. And every round this year has had either shocking results, incidents or weather, or all of the above. So yeah, it's nothing like watching paint dry (WRC). For instance, would have imagined a week ago that Grosset-Janin would claim third place in Höljes?