Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things to do.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

Re: Things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    Thanks for all the ideas.

Just been to hospital appointment and been told my foot has not healed at all in those four weeks.

Also been told if its this slow to heal, it could be 6 months without doing much.

Really sad and pissed off now.
    That's a b*gger isn't it!

One more idea is to catch up with reading all the classics you didn't read while at school - Dickens, Jane Austen, John Steinbeck, etc. It sounds a bore, but once you get into it, it's an enjoyable way to pass the time. I had an assignment abroad and found this one way of filling the evenings (that was in pre-Internet days).
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

Re: Things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    Thanks for all the ideas.

Just been to hospital appointment and been told my foot has not healed at all in those four weeks.

Also been told if its this slow to heal, it could be 6 months without doing much.

Really sad and pissed off now.
    That's a b*gger isn't it!

One further idea is to catch up with the classics you should have read at school - but didn't. Charles Dickens (OK once you realise it was written to be read slowly), Jane Austen, John Steinbeck, John Buchan, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling, etc. I had a job abroad a few years ago (ie pre-Internet) and a colleague suggested this was one way to fill the evenings.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    So any news and any luck trying out the suggestions?
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BleAivano View Post
    Flightsimming is really fun. Get FSX or Prepar3D v2+ a joystick and your good to go.
    -I haven't done flight simming, but have done some more Rail simming. I have the old Microsoft Train Simulator and have the Great Eastern Mainline. So I have done most of the tasks on there.

Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo View Post
    - sleep a lot
    - talk on the phone with your friends
    -watch the winter Olympics
    -solve sudoku
    - read books
    - learn a foreign language
    - try on old clothes
    - try to write a poem
    - watch a movie. on TV
    - bake a cake
    etc.

BTW, I'm sorry for your injury.
    -I have slept a lot.
    -I watched all of the winter Olympics.
    -I have read some books, that I haven't gotten round too. (Monarchy in England/Great Britain) (A couple about my home City) (A couple of Football books too)
    -Believe it or not I also did the trying on old clothes suggestion. I chucked a load out. Although my general lack of exercise will make me fat soon, so I might have to throw out some more.

I haven't baked a cake, written a poem or learnt a language yet.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
    Swimming will keep the muscles in tone - obviously only possible if your foot isn't in a cast
    Crafts - i.e. making things - model racing cars, Christmas cards, marquetry, carving wood or bone, jewelry making, restoring old furniture
    Rebuild a car or motor bike - you can do most of the work sitting down
    Furniture making - First make a stool to sit at your workbench
    Study something you've always wanted to (e.g. my daughter did a postal interior design course when she had a leg in plaster)
    I have been working on the garden (easy stuff that I can do sitting down)- i.e planting seeds and weeding beds.

I have also been studying and researching a couple of things. I was never massively interested in my home town, now a city of Chelmsford. So I have been reading books, looking online and studying old photo's on Flickr.
    I have also been collecting together and writing down the complete records of the England football team. Being a huge fan. I am putting a personal book together of all Full International/B team/Amateur/Olympic/FA tours and youth results of the England team

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz View Post
    I read books, watched movies, listened to a lot of music, played logical games. But the most important thing was spending time with my family. I had never spent this much time with my family before that and making up for it was just awesome. I loved it, kids loved it, my wife told me I became a better person. There's nothing like your eight month old daughter falling asleep in your arms while music is gently playing.
    I have watched a lot of TV including more sport. generally I love sport so that has been OK. I have also got into some modern classical music too, which is a new interest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BleAivano View Post
    So any news and any luck trying out the suggestions?
    I have also been transferring my DVD collection to an external Hard drive by my PC as it was something I have wanted to do for ages and due to time its never been possible.

I have also been planning things to do once I am back to normal and can get out and about by myself.

I have another appointment at the hospital on Tuesday. Just hope they tell me something positive. I just want to at least have a feeling that I am progressing.

Thanks for asking BleAivano
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    ...I was never massively interested in my home town, now a city of Chelmsford. So I have been reading books, looking online and studying old photo's on Flickr. ...
    If you want to kill some time looking at the historic building of various cities and such...check out this site.
    http://archiseek.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    If you want to kill some time looking at the historic building of various cities and such...check out this site.
    http://archiseek.com/
    You can also look at this forum thread to see how Stockholm have transformed: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1503602
    Also for Stockholm there is Stockholmskällan: http://www.stockholmskallan.se where you can find lots of old maps and old photos and etc of Stockholm.

http://www.stockholmskallan.se/Soksi...hotos=1&film=1
    http://www.stockholmskallan.se/Soksida/?maps=1

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    You should read "Playing the Moldovans at tennis' by Tony Hawks (the moldovans were Moldova national football team ) . You'll have a laugh and I assure you that all the absurd situations aren't invented.
    A good friend from the forum recommended it and even sent me his copy a few years ago when I was down. It was also great that the book travelled through 3 continents just to cheer me up.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Sorry to hear about your slow recovery Steve. I'm facing knee surgery from my motorcycle accident. I'm not looking forward to that down time.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    Sorry to hear about your slow recovery Steve. I'm facing knee surgery from my motorcycle accident. I'm not looking forward to that down time.
    Thanks.

That sounds nasty. Not something you ever want to think about (surgery). What is it that needs to be done on your knee?
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    -I haven't done flight simming, but have done some more Rail simming. I have the old Microsoft Train Simulator
    and have the Great Eastern Mainline. So I have done most of the tasks on there.

probably a wise decision when you think about the amount of time and money that is required if you want get the most of it.
    Anyway this gave me an idea for a new thread.