Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts

Re: Mikkelsen's Career and Co-drivers

I remember 2 years back mikkelsen challenging Ogier in the Skoda... but the Big league separates the chaff from the wheat... Mikkelsen is ok, he does not waste the seat and he doesn't need to rush things since Latvala is in the team holding that 2nd seat. I would give him 2 more years then he should be a regular podium and stage winner if he wants to advance and not spend daddys money.

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts

He showed some good pace last year occasionally and won some stages here and there. He wasn't shining at Monte, but had his moments too, podium place on the monster 49km stage if I'm not mistaken, very difficult stage. I wouldn't draw him out just yet. Probably second part of the season we'll see some major improvement.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts

Real drivers shine at most directly and are easy to spot. Mikkelsen seems not to be one, but could very well be top five without shining bright.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts

the bad about Mikkelsen is not his speed,but that you see so much mistakes/wrong lines for his speed.

Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts

when I have doubts about his speed/capabilities I tend to remember the Circuit of Ireland 2012...

Liked 216 Times in 105 Posts

He did make some comments before/during RMC about having to get through as he failed to finish last year. So I wonder if he deliberately dialed things back a bit?

As for last year, I think he started to show some improvement towards the end of last year and I do like the guy and wish him the best. But I always saw him as the weaker, younger member of the Skoda team who never quite developed to truly take on the experienced master that Juho was. So I wasn't sure if he was quite upto the WRC car as he never hit that final progression. But then in saying that, he did spend a year competing with Ogier and wasn't far behind.

However, as others have said - WRC is a whole different kettle of fish compared to an S2000. Paddon's comments about the difference driving a WRC vs S2000 car for the first time are a good example of how you appear to have to alter driving style to suit the car design somewhat. So perhaps Mikkelsen got comfortable in the S2000 and found it's limits, but has not yet managed to in the WRC car?

Liked 161 Times in 79 Posts

Mikk has the speed. He is unfortu clear 3rd driver, hast to test and to deliver informations. 10 days test a year only. He drove tyre combinations at the rally he never drove bevore. His RNC got earlyest time window to deliver complete informations to VW so he never got correct notes esp. at the first day and parts of third day. He's coming back soon I think.

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Munkvy
    However, as others have said - WRC is a whole different kettle of fish compared to an S2000. Paddon's comments about the difference driving a WRC vs S2000 car for the first time are a good example of how you appear to have to alter driving style to suit the car design somewhat.
    I think that has as much to do with the Fiesta being a big floaty hovercraft type thing rather than any difference between WRC and S2000 per se. (after all they are based on the same rules apart from engine)

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts

I also think it has more to do with difference between Škoda/M-Sport design than with WRC/S2000. Fabia and Fiesta are fundamentally different as S2000 too, definitely more than Fiesta S2000 to Fiesta WRC/RRC.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Hänninen said that after Fabia the Fiesta swinged so much that he almost became sea sick.
    Satakymppi, oikee yks