Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts

Caterham signs Kobayashi an Ericsson !

Caterham has signed grand prix returnee Kamui Kobayashi and GP2 graduate Marcus Ericsson for the 2014 Formula 1 season.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112208
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Re: Caterham confirms Kobayashi an Ericsson !

Now I am quite happy to see Kobayashi back on a F1 seat, but who's this Ericsson, and how he deserves the 2nd seat ?

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts

Re: Caterham signs Kobayashi an Ericsson !

Ah, now because Kobayashi may be rusty and Ericsson is a newbie and not tipped to be another Bottas or anything, this line-up could actually be weaker than the 2013 one!

I don't really follow GP2 these days, but it sounds like Ericsson is a competent but not amazing driver.

As for Kobayashi, he does have some talent, but there are probably about 15 drivers around with more. So I again fail to see why he should jump the queue into a top seat.

Perez did beat him in 2012 - despite Sergio's unrepresentative final 6 races. Before that, he had about twice the points of Kobayashi and a higher quality and quantity of highlight performances. Most of all, it was only the raw Perez's second season and quite bit further behind on his development curve, while Kobayashi was in his 3rd and a bit.

I repeat this because I feel that far too many people are OVERrating Kobayashi, thinking he should get in a Ferrari ahead of Nico Hulkenberg and suchlike.

2012:
    Best Qualifying: Kobayashi - 2nd in Spa, Perez - 5th in Spa. BUT who was it who was desperately unfortunate not to take pole at Silverstone remember. Also in the Brit GP race, Pere was the one storming up the field before Maldonado ended him. He was on course to finish ahead of Kobayashi despite starting well behind through no fault of his own.

Kobayashi did have a good podium in 3rd, but Perez nearly won 3 races. Kobayashi was praised for coming 5th in Spain, but Sergio started in that position. Just how well would he have done if Grosjean hadn't punctured him on lap 1? Another challenge for victory?

In short, "anything you can do, I can do better..."

Having said this, I'm pretty pleased he got the drive. There are much less deserving people who could have had it. Though He's usually a great racer (though does mess it up too, though nowhere near as much as have-a-go-Sato) and is less reliant on the Dumb Racing Solution than others. Hopefully he will actually perform to the speed level people believe he is, and not spend too much of the season being invisible in what was really a s**t hot car in 2012 (scuse me langwidge).
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts

Hey, what numbers are these guys getting?!
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts

Kobayashi I can understand, I found him quite specacular when he was in F1 previously.

But Ericsson? He has been mediocar at most in GP2, best season last year finishn 6th in the championship in his 4th! attempt. It is so sad how much tehe wallet of your sponsors decidea nowdays

Quote Originally Posted by COD
    Kobayashi I can understand, I found him quite specacular when he was in F1 previously.

But Ericsson? He has been mediocar at most in GP2, best season last year finishn 6th in the championship in his 4th! attempt. It is so sad how much tehe wallet of your sponsors decidea nowdays
    Totally agree Ericsson got a F1 seat, while GP2 Champ winner Valsecchi still is a reserve drive at Lotus

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

wow. Weird line up. Kobayashi I can see making a few banzi starts and getting into the side of the midfield.

A bit like Justin Wilson in his early races at Minardi, I could see Kobayashi getting ahead of a few midfielders early in races.

Of course, with the changes. maybe the Caterhams or Marussia's might get some better results.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Thank you, Pino, for posting something which made me smile today. Now I can do my Kamui, Kamui, Kamui Kobayashi! Kamui, Kamui, Kamui Kobayashi! chant again this season.

And yes, watching an F1 race with me is probably pretty annoying when I do that. That's why I watch alone. Just me and nobody else. I watch alone! And you know, when I watch alone, I prefer to be by myself!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

Poor Kova, misses out again, just proves that ability now means nothing in F1, it is a circus dedicated to money. Good to see Kobi san back though

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts

I'm glad that the Japanese got a pilot into the field. They have a lot of debvoted fans, and a very cool GP on one of the best tracks still being used.
    May the forza be with you