Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts

Re: It's finally hit the fan for Bernard Charles Ecclestone

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Quote Originally Posted by longisland
    Give the man a break. Formula 1 will not be what it is today if it wasn't for him. Many fans lamented him for abandoning the traditional Euro zone events such as Magny Cours or Imola for venues like Bahrain & Yongnam. What most people overlooked is the amount of money Bernie brought into EU from the rest of the world.
    I don't see the value of sending an 83 years old man to do time. It would be more sensible to fine him 5 billion euros. It's a commercial crime so just punish him by having him coughing up all his embezzlement.
    Bernie did a great job years ago but as he got more and more greedy and used his power to settle personal scores, his achievements have rightfully been dumbed down. I would like nothing more than to see him spend the rest of his life behind bars. If any of us committed fraud, we would go down for it and greedy people like Bernie should not be immune from such punishments.
    Quote Originally Posted by philipbain
    The Internet has evolved rapidly from a fringe movement to the most fundamental means of communication for a large proportion of the developed world, yet F1's broadcasting seems ridgedly tied to TV in an age where TV it's self is undergoing a fundamental change in the way it is distributed and accessed thanks to the Internet.
    The internet is hard to govern and I think that is why Bernie was reluctant to move in that direction. After all, the internet allows people like me to view his product for free and I doubt he is keen on that! haha
    Yeah Dawg;
    This
    http://88.80.11.29/:cool:
    May the forza be with you

Bernie was great fot the sport, until the global economic meltdown, the world we live in now is fundamentally different in many ways and F1 has not adapted or changed fast enough to keep up and I put this partially down to Bernie and the way that the sport's rights and broadcasting is distributed. The Internet has evolved rapidly from a fringe movement to the most fundamental means of communication for a large proportion of the developed world, yet F1's broadcasting seems ridgedly tied to TV in an age where TV it's self is undergoing a fundamental change in the way it is distributed and accessed thanks to the Internet.

So in short, I think Bernie's time is up and it's unfortunate for him but somehow inevitable that his less than above board dealings have finally caught up with him.
    Well stated!
    http://goatd.net/

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Quote Originally Posted by longisland
    Give the man a break. Formula 1 will not be what it is today if it wasn't for him. Many fans lamented him for abandoning the traditional Euro zone events such as Magny Cours or Imola for venues like Bahrain & Yongnam. What most people overlooked is the amount of money Bernie brought into EU from the rest of the world.
    I don't see the value of sending an 83 years old man to do time. It would be more sensible to fine him 5 billion euros. It's a commercial crime so just punish him by having him coughing up all his embezzlement.
    Bernie did a great job years ago but as he got more and more greedy and used his power to settle personal scores, his achievements have rightfully been dumbed down. I would like nothing more than to see him spend the rest of his life behind bars. If any of us committed fraud, we would go down for it and greedy people like Bernie should not be immune from such punishments.
    The Internet has evolved rapidly from a fringe movement to the most fundamental means of communication for a large proportion of the developed world, yet F1's broadcasting seems ridgedly tied to TV in an age where TV it's self is undergoing a fundamental change in the way it is distributed and accessed thanks to the Internet.
    The internet is hard to govern and I think that is why Bernie was reluctant to move in that direction. After all, the internet allows people like me to view his product for free and I doubt he is keen on that! haha
    yup
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...-audience.html

So Bernie reckons its domination that is hitting viewing figures.

I think its several things. Domination, TV coverage and stupid rules.

So whats the answer? I know even sillier rules.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...-audience.html

So Bernie reckons its domination that is hitting viewing figures.

I think its several things. Domination, TV coverage and stupid rules.

So whats the answer? I know even sillier rules.
    I swear to christ, Bernie is a freakin' ass-clown
    From the same link:
    Some members of the paddock appeared taken by surprise at the immensely hostile reception to Ecclestone’s double-points idea, designed to keep the championship alive for as long as possible. Toto Wolff, the Mercedes motorsport director, admitted at pre-season testing in Jerez: “I think obviously the shitstorm we got afterwards was something not expected. Was it the right move or not? 99 per cent of our fans and spectators, and this is what counts, told us it was the wrong move so perhaps it is something to revisit
    And then Bernie says this:

However, Ecclestone has told F1 business journalist Christian Sylt this week that the ‘double points’ concept was designed specifically to help the sport’s most famous team.

“He (Montezemolo) was talking about it and I said ‘It is very simple why we got that (double points rule)’,” Ecclestone is quoted by City A.M.

“‘It is because you (Ferrari) aren’t performing’,” the 83-year-old recalled telling Montezemolo.

“‘If you were doing what you should be doing there wouldn’t be any need for it’. He (Montezemolo) said ‘I know, I know’,” Ecclestone added.
    I need a little help here; from everything I've read Zemo was against double points. Is the implication that Ferrari didn't use their "special" veto to axe the deal?
    Ferrari are where they are because of lack of innovation and the testing freeze, that is all their is to it. The wind tunnel problem is a factor, but then again a self inflicted wound.
    If this is in fact the case, Bernie is even more of a tool for bringing Ferrari's woes into this. What about, Mercedes, McLaren, Lotus and down the line. Does Bernie think it is acceptable for those teams to get their freakin' asses kicked by Red Bull?
    Bernie can be a very small thinking man. Does he think comments like these can be made, without alienating fans even more?
    I just wish that guy would go away.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

There it is then - the case brought by the media group Constantin Medien has been dismissed.

BUT

The judge had this to say about BCE;

"The payments were a bribe. They were made because Mr Ecclestone had entered into a corrupt agreement with Dr Gribkowsky on May 2005 under which Dr Gribkowsky was to be rewarded for facilitating the sale of BLB's shares in the F1 Group to a buyer acceptable to Mr Ecclestone.

"Mr Ecclestone's aim was to be rid of the banks. He was strongly averse to their involvement in the F1 Group and was keen that their shares should be transferred to someone more congenial to him."

The judge also said: "Even... making allowances for the lapse of time and Mr Ecclestone's age, I am afraid that I find it impossible to regard him as a reliable or truthful witness."

Ze German prosecuters will be rubbing their hands with glee. And I guess this ruling alone will see BCE prevented from taking up his position again as to do so now, will cause Mercedes among others to pull out.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nah. Bernie will still be running things. He's F1's version of Kim Jong Il (only just slightly less dead!)
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts

No so fast.......... http://www.racer.com/index.php/f1/item/ ... court-case

All that is left now is the trial in Germany, but as long as Bernie stays out of that country I think he could be all right. I don't know what kind of extradition laws they have in Europe if they do find him guilty. Either way, I would not be surprised to see Bernie running F1 again soon.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts

Technically wins the case, despite being unreliable and untruthful, and also comes out in support of Vladamir Putin's policies over treatment of homosexuality. The man is an utter embarrassment.

Inland revenue are investigating his 5 billion trust fund, he still has the bribery trial, which was brought up in the latest case as well.
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.