Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today's Music

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Today's Music

Has today's music evolved into a repetitious doof doof beat without any melody? I have been trawling through youtube and come across some fantastic stuff. But just let me put things straight - I am an old dynasour, nothing to be ashamed of. But a lot of the stuff by The Rolling Stones, Sting, Bobby Hackett, Louis Armstrong, Nat King Cole, Dion Warwick, Alabama, Doobie Brothers, sure as hell beats anything that the CLUBS beat out to the early mornings.
    I mean, I played music from a Nino Tempo album and my daughter said:"I don't like Jazz until 5 minutes later she realised it was an album I swiped from her when we were in HK many years ago..
    What happened to music with melody?
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts

Re: Today's Music

Valve, I am probably much younger then you (mid 30's) but I agree that allot of the modern music are "repetitious doof
    doof beat without any melody", but not all new music are like the generic sh!t that they play on the radio.

I think the problem with today's music is that the larger record companies seems to prefer short time
    thinking when it comes artists and record contracts. Make one album with an artist, hype hype hype
    and extensive marketing then they dump the artist and bring in a new one and repeat the process.

So there is good new music the difficulties is to find it. Most of them are on smaller
    independent record companies and as such artists the rarely gets played on radio and such.

A few Swedish artists that I think have done pretty good music is Baskery, First Aid Kit, Laleh,
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I'm listening to Whitney Houston and that was great music. Just finished listening to Opie Bellas's Live for Life album. I guess I'm just an old geezer.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts

I don't think that we can file all modern day music as doof doof beat. Good music has existed forever and will continue existing long after all of us are gone for good. I had that kind of gloomy feeling about the fate of music back in early nineties when suicidal grunge bands wiped metal off the charts and techno was everywhere. But then I realized that was not the end of the world. Music changed, but my tastes developed, too, and I gradually got to like the new stuff: Low, Primal Scream, the Hellacopters, Frank Black, Mercury Rev, to name just a few. Same thing is going to happen to every new generation.
    Llibertat

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Just as I'm sure my parents didn't like (or understand) the music my generation listened to, I have no idea what this noise is that young people listen to these days. But one thing I can say, the music I listened to (and the music my parents listened to) seems to have pretty well stood the test of time and is still pretty popular. I don't get the same sense about most of the music of today or really any time after the late 80's.

Another thing is, where before you just had radio and records (8-tracks, cassettes and then CDs), now there are all kinds of ways to get music. The industry is so fragmented and there is no focus (IMO). Also, rather than just focusing on making the best music possible, artists seem more focused on JUST making hits - even if they just become one-hit wonders. I know of no band or artist these days that can even begin to compare with the quality of music that came from the 50's, 60's or even the 70's. Now it seems to mainly be sappy boy bands, whiny girl-power bands, rap that makes no sense and fake pop music that is more like the (corporate created) Monkees than the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin.

Just my take.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    Just as I'm sure my parents didn't like (or understand) the music my generation listened to, I have no idea what this noise is that young people listen to these days. But one thing I can say, the music I listened to (and the music my parents listened to) seems to have pretty well stood the test of time and is still pretty popular. I don't get the same sense about most of the music of today or really any time after the late 80's.

Another thing is, where before you just had radio and records (8-tracks, cassettes and then CDs), now there are all kinds of ways to get music. The industry is so fragmented and there is no focus (IMO). Also, rather than just focusing on making the best music possible, artists seem more focused on JUST making hits - even if they just become one-hit wonders. I know of no band or artist these days that can even begin to compare with the quality of music that came from the 50's, 60's or even the 70's. Now it seems to mainly be sappy boy bands, whiny girl-power bands, rap that makes no sense and fake pop music that is more like the (corporate created) Monkees than the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin.

Just my take.
    The 90's were still good. You had alternate rock and grunge coming through. Not compared to the 70's ofcourse.

But now the music scene is so unbelievably crap on all levels , It really gets me when people in my office play those meaningless hip hop songs and pop songs which is corp created and then pushed down our ears. You see Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus getting airtime and that's the music they get.
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese:

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by harsha
    But now the music scene is so unbelievably crap on all levels
    Wrong. There's plenty of good music being written and performed these days. It won't take you too long to surf sites like allmusic.com, fanzines, blogs and discover great bands playing something you already like or something you might like when you hear it. Nothing prevents you from checking out up and coming bands in local clubs. They might not enjoy the superstar status the bands from 1960-1970s had but they are still worth listening.

Quote Originally Posted by harsha
    It really gets me when people in my office play those meaningless hip hop songs and pop songs which is corp created and then pushed down our ears. You see Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus getting airtime and that's the music they get.
    Retaliate by playing your music. I bet it will irritate Bieber lovers way more Bieber's music irritates you.
    Llibertat

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts

Many of today's bands that produce an older style sound are classified as indie so they are less likely to get hyped. Some still cut their own niche.
    Just a random selection of fairly recent music.

Haerts All the Days http://youtu.be/Yb5y2jEyK6E

Lucius band http://youtu.be/FnH7YdO2XXg

The Map Room Band http://youtu.be/e_q03Xi4sWs

Lily and the Parlour Tricks - http://youtu.be/166E1E_l8Ik

Zig Zags band http://youtu.be/Isp44TvD0TI

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

There aren't any clubs near where I live that play the type of music that I'm into. In fact, there aren't any clubs period in my immediate area - minimum 45 minute drive to get to anything even close to a decent club. But I have picked up a few songs and bands from TV shows or movies. The last one that really hit the spot was The Heavy (Short Change Hero and How You Like Me Now?). We all like something different. But to me, that's old style "real people music"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RD...&v=P1QUZzeZoPQ
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts