Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Re: Now it is hospital shootings

" Likewise, if more people carried on a regular basis and were well trained, the chances would be much higher that a single well placed shot would end a lot more crime situations"

It's statements like this that convince me it's no use discussing gun control with Americans.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamousEccles
    " Likewise, if more people carried on a regular basis and were well trained, the chances would be much higher that a single well placed shot would end a lot more crime situations"

It's statements like this that convince me it's no use discussing gun control with Americans.
    Why? Not interested in facts?
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starter

That is not a fact - it is an opinion.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts

Well certainly don't go look at the facts, as they will show that guns are used a great many times by law abiding citizens as a crime deterrent, even when they don't have to shoot. There is direct evidence that states allowing concealed carry weapons have a drop in violent crimes, as well as mounds of evidence that violent crimes almost cease to exist in areas where open carry of guns is common.

Quite a few procedures used in the US by cops are a result of the Newhall Masacre, where a couple of well armed and trained thugs decided to shoot it out with the cops. The first hit scored on said thugs was by a civilian who came to assist the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter

That is not a fact - it is an opinion.
    Yes it is. I was referring to this part - "the chances would be much higher" (emphasis mine).
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spafranco
    Not satisfied with killing children and college students doctors are now a target.

Will anything come of this...NO. The reason: the NRA is so powerful that in a country of over 300 million people not one politician is prepared to take action. Not take away guns, just limit the number of bullets in magazines and the types of guns available. The loopholes closed.
    In addition, the number of guns that should be available to anyone person at any given time either at home or the purchasing of limitless guns.

There is an author of fiction, Stephen Hunter, who is a ballistic expert and in many of his articles on this subject he is quite firm.

Too many guns.
    unfortunately, the NRA has a very powerful lobby, and thanks to the internet, this power has increased dramatically. Any politician who does not conform with their wishes or line of action get's voted out. There is no solution that I can think of. Maybe if they shot Brett Lee with buckshot, it would make me feel better.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    unfortunately, the NRA has a very powerful lobby, and thanks to the internet, this power has increased dramatically. Any politician who does not conform with their wishes or line of action get's voted out. There is no solution that I can think of. Maybe if they shot Brett Lee with buckshot, it would make me feel better.
    Lets see if we can follow your reasoning here:

"unfortunately, the NRA has a very powerful lobby, and thanks to the internet, this power has increased dramatically." Any organization only has power if there is support behind it. Otherwise it is the classic "paper tiger". So you are saying it was powerful before the internet and now is even more so. That means that there are an awful lot of people supporting it.

"Any politician who does not conform with their wishes or line of action get's voted out." That's pretty much the way a democracy works. What the voting majority wants, that's what they get.

I gather you don't support that majority view. Sorry about that. There are a lot of majority positions I don't support either and I have to live with it too.
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Very very good reply, Skater. The point I make is simply that the NRA can mobilise a huge number of voters who normally couldn't give a shyte about politics, but will vote against any politician who tries to introduce any safety measures into gun control. IF that's your idea of democracy, then I am very happy we don't have the NRA controlling our democracy in Australia.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    Very very good reply, Skater. The point I make is simply that the NRA can mobilise a huge number of voters who normally couldn't give a shyte about politics, but will vote against any politician who tries to introduce any safety measures into gun control. IF that's your idea of democracy, then I am very happy we don't have the NRA controlling our democracy in Australia.
    No, we're much better off. We have News Ltd., the mining industry, the alcohol industry and the gambling industry doing that job.

At best, we can claim that our democracy is only slightly less destroyed than in America or Europe. i.e. nothing at all to be proud of.
    I am anaspeptic, pharismotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Not any more we can't.
    The privatisation of Australia Post, Medicare, the ABC and SBS, have all been suggested by the IPA. Holden and Ford have vowed to end production in Australia by 2017 and the NBN will never do as intended.

But at least we've "stopped the boats"... well not really, but the government has stopped reporting on them, and disbanded AUSAID and appointed former IPA member Tim Wilson to the head of the Human Rights Commission, an organisation which he called for the abolition of. At the same time child care workers lost their appeal to have their minimum wage raised because of "union interference" whilst at the same time a former head of the Business Council of Australia is now an advisor to the PM.

Australia has democracy? Ha. If you have a post code between 2000-2108, 3000-3030, 3120-3125, 6000-6009, you own the politicians. And if you're Clive Palmer, you are one.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!