Page 256 of 439 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266306356 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 4386
    Liked 213 Times in 107 Posts
    there's a lot of crews starting in chinese rallies, some local brand interested in rallying, and it's a plac to go to promote the manufacturers. so, why not ?

Liked 1,254 Times in 682 Posts
    Yes, why not? Hopefully there'll be more than 1 man and his dog watching like in 1999. No point going if there's no spectators.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    there will be spectators but those are just interested in seeing any event around them... those are the local villagers... but trust me they are crowded
    and also have to consider the local media... there are hundreds of automobile magazines and their crew following the China Rally championship all around the country. I am sure the attention to WRC will be great by Chinese media

if the rally is going to be around Beijing, I guess this will be a strategic plan... first of all the Automobile federation (FASC) is located in Beijing which means more and easier handling of the rally.
    FAW VW rally team also located in Beijing. maybe they will be the main sponsor of the rally? they are trying hard to be the best team in China rally champ these days...
    I am sure they have more then enough power to persuade the FASC
    another factor is the accommodation; as rallies in China usually located in suburbans and/or small villages where there are not enough hotels or facilities...
    we can also count transportation/accessability

besides, I also support the idea of having WRC in China as its becoming one of the biggest automobile markets in the World.
    many big manufacturers survived the crisis or bankruptcy because of China. and as mentioned above many local brands are also trying to involve in rallying...

but the biggest question is the Safety and correct organisation. does FASC yet ready to handle this big event?
    Best Rallies;
    Omer Yetis

4. Likes: Rally Hokkaido (2nd March 2015)
    Liked 213 Times in 107 Posts
    About FAW team : FIA authorize local homologated car to take part to WRC events. So, according this rule, the Golf SCRC developped by Prodrive for FAW could be part of this potential event, couldn't it ?

Most probably yes, if not it will compete in the same rally as part of China Rally championship...
    in other words might have possibility to see Chris Atkinson back in the WRC
    Best Rallies;
    Omer Yetis

Liked 661 Times in 290 Posts
    can anyone provide some background to this Peugeot 307 WRC testing video ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7105DdbQOaM
    https://twitter.com/KiwiWRCfan adding a fans perspective to Twitter

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omer yetis View Post
    Most probably yes, if not it will compete in the same rally as part of China Rally championship...
    in other words might have possibility to see Chris Atkinson back in the WRC
    It was a test before the Boucle De Spa legend rally 2015 in Belgium

Liked 78 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barreis View Post
    This is quite interesting. The WRC Promoter wants to be in China but only if it is held in the eastern China near a major city. The problem is that there are no suitable gravel events close to any major city.

The Beijing Rally to be held at the end of June is a tarmac event, on concrete roads, 60km north of the Great Wall and 120km from central Beijing (2.5 hours driving). The service park is held in a tiny village called Baoshanzhen, only 2,000 people, with no hotels nearby, with the nearest big hotels are in Huairou, 68km south, where the APEC last year was held. It consists of two concrete roads used twice in one direction, then run twice in reverse direction the next day. There is no connection with Beijing at all except for name of the municipal area, only diehard local fans come to the event. Last year, I stayed in a tiny peasants house in very basic accommodation in the village, not ideal for an international level event. There is no direct or frequent public transport except for a few buses that are very rough and ready.

The strange thing was that two years ago, Zhangye was put forward as a WRC Candidate Rally but no one, from the FIA or WRC, bothered to show up. It is a fantastic event, the best in China, but is a desert event in western China, far from the major cities. That scared the promoters off. However they are definitely missing out for being so short sighted. The roads are fantastic, the landscape is unique and delightful, with sand dunes, stoney desert, green crops and snow capped mountains all visible from a single vantage point. It even has sections of the Great Wall through there but of the crumbly mud brick section disappearing back into the desert. While it is served by a small airport itself, it is one to two hours by bullet train to 3 larger international airports in Xining, Lanzhou and Jiayuguan. Has several nice hotels with more being built, has a population of over 300,000 that goes rally mad every time the rally is on. The local government has built over 100km of roads just for hosting a rally, a set service park area and a 3,000 seat stadium for the super-special. More importantly, it is the only Chinese rally that caters to spectators, with designated viewing areas with bus transport and taxi access.

There were worries and concerns about logistics, because it is so far west from regular lay persons thinking, far from any ports. However, with increasing trade, there are container trains passing through Zhangye that would take 12 to 16 days to/from Europe, faster than any ship. The distance for air cargo is shorter or equal to Australia, Argentina or Mexico.

I have attended many Chinese events, four last year alone and Zhangye is the best option by far. The FASC want the WRC there but the European promoter and the car companies are blindly pushing for an Eastern venue where none exists, except possibly for Chongqing but no rally event has ever been hosted there. I can not see the Beijing Rally impressing any onlookers.
    Happiness is using the side windows more than the windscreen

In reply to being asked what 240Kph on Watagans Road was like:-
    \"Wait till I check my pants, I didn\'t know whether to sh#t myself or orgasm!!!\"

10. Likes: AndyRAC (1st March 2015),Franky (1st March 2015)
    Liked 1,254 Times in 682 Posts
    I read that article - and I just shake my head. "We/ the Championship doesn't want another Tarmac event" Er, why? The WRC should be an even split between gravel and tar. Or am I missing something? They talk about 'road relevance', yet don't want the surface that the majority of road cars run on.

That Ciesla bloke needs firing, he has no idea about the WRC, and I'm not sure RedBull do either.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

12. Likes: A FONDO (1st March 2015),tommeke_B (1st March 2015)
    well detailed Livewireshock! thanks for sharing your experiences.

this also reminds me of the 2008 IRC China rally held in Fujian province Shao Wu city. Fujian province is in middle east part of the country facing the Taiwan strait. and Shao wu is Northern eastern of the province.
    the Xiamen port is one of the busiest of all Chinese ports and connected to Shao Wu with train lines and highways.

Shao wu is city with over 100.000 people lives and has enough accommodation for 72 crews and the teams.... but of course the question here will be for the guests and spectators accommodation

in order to give you guys some idea about the event and the stages below I have some incar videos from the event....
    we also had a special stage where I never seen so many spectators... after the special stage it took us over 45 mins to reach 3km's distance park ferme due to mad crowd...

the stages were 99% gravel and some short areas with concrete. but was one of the best rallies for me in China...

https://www.youtube.com/user/omeryetis77/videos

I suggest this event shouldn't be left away either with beautiful mountain stages and an international competition experience in the past.....
    Best Rallies;
    Omer Yetis