Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Teams!

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts

More Teams!

This makes me happy, not only as the FGP commish but as a fan.

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/3213/9068 ... xtend-Grid
    "The International Automobile Federation (FIA) announced on Wednesday that it has started the process of selecting a new Formula One team to be added to the roster, in 2015 or 2016. "
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts

Re: More Teams!

Just because they're looking for new entrants, doesn't mean they'll find any (suckers) that qualify.
    The article also mentions something else - almost all teams are struggling financially. This points to a bigger problem within F1.
    Ferrari & Lotus finished 3rd & 4th in the constructors. Ferrari can afford to hire two of the most sought after drivers, and Lotus has to go with a pay driver to survive. The pay system is flawed. I think the special treatment of Ferrari needs to end, and the money needs to be spread out more evenly. I'm not saying all teams get equal prize money - but the scales need to be adjusted towards the back a little more.

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts

Yes but I hope the cost cap and the V6 will mean BMW and maybe VW-branded-as-Audi come in.
    It is a hope but I'd like to see it.
    Lastly, I know new teams struggle. ALL new teams in any sport struggle!
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

I suppose Brawn did ok for a new team, I suppose
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear
    Just because they're looking for new entrants, doesn't mean they'll find any (suckers) that qualify.
    The article also mentions something else - almost all teams are struggling financially. This points to a bigger problem within F1.
    Ferrari & Lotus finished 3rd & 4th in the constructors. Ferrari can afford to hire two of the most sought after drivers, and Lotus has to go with a pay driver to survive. The pay system is flawed. I think the special treatment of Ferrari needs to end, and the money needs to be spread out more evenly. I'm not saying all teams get equal prize money - but the scales need to be adjusted towards the back a little more.

well said
    revenue sharing is the only way the sport survives
    along with immediate payouts and not that one year delay for the top 10.
    I don't see CVC and bernie furloughing their pay for a year.

You can always have extra incentives for winning and championships, but no more secret lopsided agreements with ferrari and others. The added ( and proper) revenue will ensure the long term stability of the sport, end "pay drivers" and incentivize 1 or 2 more teams to join. They can keep that absurdly high entry fee, and make a team wait another year to start receiving part of the revenue sharing. then after 4 years, they qualify for full and equal amount of the pot.

As to the prospective entrants, I still say a penske, andretti/green, or current gp2 team is the way to go. that being said...
    I would love to see toyota return since they already have the infrastructure, or sell the assets to vw/Audi and let them finally field an F1 team. That would be my dream
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones
    Yes but I hope the cost cap and the V6 will mean BMW and maybe VW-branded-as-Audi come in.
    It is a hope but I'd like to see it.
    Lastly, I know new teams struggle. ALL new teams in any sport struggle!
    The cost cap is impossible to enforce and a manufacturer like VW would not want to abide by the cost cap agreement anyways. And I don't get the point of the cost caps. It's basically dumbing the sport down to the least common denominator. What's the point? So that Marussia or Caterham doesn't go bankrupt? Why don't they and others just impose a voluntary cost cap on themselves so they don't spend beyond their means?

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts

FIA is afraid that they are loosing a few team in the near future and wants some backmarkers to fill up the grid.

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts

Do we need more teams like HRT/Marussia and what not?

Unless its a biggie like VW/Porsche/Audi/BMW or in any of their avatars, a new team will not excite anybody I think.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts

Someone always has to be at the back, better to be some low budget backmarkers where engineers and drivers can prove themselves rather than a marquee team who pull out due to poor results. The more teams, then the more drivers involved, which should result in less drivers losing their spots due to funded lesser talented drivers
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts

By that same token, more the teams with less resources, more they are inclined to fill up their slots with pay drivers.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion: