Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashes Cricket

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts

Re: Ashes Cricket

England's lack of preparation has cost them. I still think they can come back from this, but they've have left no margin for error.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    I know what the term bang wagon means, just didn't understand your context in relation to my post. Did you mean because England aren't winning people have jumped off the bandwagon? If so I think that's wrong. The reason people aren't watching is because a pay channel has the rights and the audience tuning in is about 150-200k. When the BBC last had the coverage and England were winning lol, it was a healthy following. It obviously doesn't help when the sport is being played down under too because nobody wants to get up in the middle of the night to watch. A series of circumstances has made crickets popularity slump here unfortunately.
    I was talking specifically about the English fans present at the Gabba and Adelaide Oval. They looked to be in far fewer numbers than last time around.

In regards to your lack of coverage, I sympathise with you. It sucks how Sky is taking over this stuff.

Do you have any anti-siphoning laws in the UK? Over here, we have such laws to prevent certain events which are deemed 'too important' from being shown on pay-tv instead of free-to-air.
    I am anaspeptic, pharismotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by webberf1
    In regards to your lack of coverage, I sympathise with you. It sucks how Sky is taking over this stuff.

Do you have any anti-siphoning laws in the UK? Over here, we have such laws to prevent certain events which are deemed 'too important' from being shown on pay-tv instead of free-to-air.
    Australia has 1 section of one act; even then, it's up to the disrection of the relevant minister:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/ ... /s115.html
    (1) The Minister may, by notice published in the Gazette , specify an event, or events of a kind, the televising of which should, in the opinion of the Minister, be available free to the general public.
    (1A) The Minister may, by notice published in the Gazette , amend a notice under subsection (1) to specify an additional event, or events of a kind, the televising of which should, in the opinion of the Minister, be available free to the public.

- s.115 of the Broadcasting Services Act 1992

The current list as far as cricket is concerned is probably fine as it protects Test Matches and ODIs of the national team but for other things like F1, it only protects the AGP.
    http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Series/F2010L03383

Also, given that the current minister is Malcolm Turnbull who is determined to put a knife to the throat of the NBN, and the ABC, and SBS, quite frankly, we should be thankful that there even is any televised sport in this country. Mr Murdoch already has the government in the palm of his hand and I'm sure if he asked nicely, they'd jump.
    http://www.archive.dbcde.gov.au/
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer
    England's lack of preparation has cost them. I still think they can come back from this, but they've have left no margin for error.
    I think they need two people to score hundreds. KP and Bell most likely.
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese:

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts

Yeah, big partnerships scored often is what they need. For those who don't know, it'll be abnormally hot for this match. Temperatures of 38, 38, 38, 39 and 30 are expected for the scheduled days of this match. Ryan Harris has a potential injury issue, which may be magnified under the heat, particularly if England bat long enough. The pre game talk has been quite cagey over here. I'm not sure what to make of it?

So far, Rogers has fallen to a comedy run-out by Anderson, Shane Watson didn't do his homework and holed out to Swann and Dave Warner has been bashing like a mad thing.

52/2 after 11 overs. At this rate the Aussies will be out for about 250 odd hopefully.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you want a textbook example of how not to captain, how not to set a field, and how not to instill confidence in your players, then Alistair Cook is doing a pretty good job of that.
    I am anaspeptic, pharismotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

I know Cook isn't a great captain right now, but I am confident he will do OK. He is Young, has a lot of experience and has only been captain for a short time. In which time we have won in India and the Home Ashes albeit by a flattering scoreline.

Alistair Cook has dug in now and is looking a bit more like his old self. which is one good thing.

Nether the less this Ashes is all over really. Play out the last 2.5 tests as well as we can and build again for the next series.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/joe ... 2zefa.html
    [That was despite no sign of an edge on thermal imaging camera Hot Spot and a squiggle on the new addition to the DRS, the real-time Snicko, that appeared to show a noise slightly after the ball had passed the bat.
    - Sydney Morning Herald, 14th Dec 2013

I thought that DRS was supposed to stop howlers. I was wrong. It was designed to stop sensibility.

Law 27.6 says that "If, after consultation, there is still doubt remaining, the decision shall be Not out."
    Obviously there must not have been any doubt. But what sort of eejit still gets it wrong? Tony Hill... that sort of eejit.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/joe-root-bemused-as-drs-raises-its-head-in-third-ashes-test-20131214-2zefa.html
    [That was despite no sign of an edge on thermal imaging camera Hot Spot and a squiggle on the new addition to the DRS, the real-time Snicko, that appeared to show a noise slightly after the ball had passed the bat.
    - Sydney Morning Herald, 14th Dec 2013

I thought that DRS was supposed to stop howlers. I was wrong. It was designed to stop sensibility.

Law 27.6 says that "If, after consultation, there is still doubt remaining, the decision shall be Not out."
    Obviously there must not have been any doubt. But what sort of eejit still gets it wrong? Tony Hill... that sort of eejit.
    absolute shocker that , Cricket Decision Making has gone from giving batsmen the benefit of the doubt to giving umpires the benefit of the doubt.
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese: