Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashes Cricket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Ashes Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    I know Cook isn't a great captain right now, but I am confident he will do OK. He is Young, has a lot of experience and has only been captain for a short time. In which time we have won in India and the Home Ashes albeit by a flattering scoreline.

Alistair Cook has dug in now and is looking a bit more like his old self. which is one good thing.

Nether the less this Ashes is all over really. Play out the last 2.5 tests as well as we can and build again for the next series.
    He's a damn good batsman, no doubt about that. But as a captain he lacks the necessary aggression, lets other players do too much decision making, lets the batting side dictate his field placement, lacks the instincts and doesn't read the game well enough.
    I am anaspeptic, pharismotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts

Well, it seems to me that webberf1 is Shane Warne's account.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Shane Watson has done his homework and is now 82 not out and Piggy Smith has an unbeaten dozen as the Australian lead ticks over 400.

The things that are making this series most interesting are the discussions of cakes and pies on Twitter whilst listening to Test Match Sofa.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer
    Well, it seems to me that webberf1 is Shane Warne's account.
    Lol.

Speaking of Shane Warne, credit to the bloke. His predictions before the series were (contrary to most cricketing opinions) that Australia would dominate and potentially be able to win 5-0 and that Mitchell Johnson would shine. A lot of people dislike him because they're pussy ass little armchair whiners, but when it comes to cricket he knows what he's talking about just about more than anyone.
    I am anaspeptic, pharismotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by webberf1
    Speaking of Shane Warne, credit to the bloke. His predictions before the series were (contrary to most cricketing opinions) that Australia would dominate and potentially be able to win 5-0 and that Mitchell Johnson would shine. A lot of people dislike him because they're pussy ass little armchair whiners, but when it comes to cricket he knows what he's talking about just about more than anyone.
    If he said that about Johnson, then it's because he had the inside word. But there were a lot of people here that thought Australia were a good chance to win.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman racer
    If he said that about Johnson, then it's because he had the inside word. But there were a lot of people here that thought Australia were a good chance to win.
    Well no sh*t he has the inside word, being a cricket commentator and mentor it's kind of his job to have the 'inside word'. Point stands: he'd definitely be in the top 5 people in the world to go to to ask anything about the game right now. His knowledge and experience is virtually unmatched.

I doubt that Mr Warne would know anything about the ODI series between Pakistan and Sri Lanka, or the Indian tour of South Africa, or the West Indies tour of NZ, whereas I suspect that someone like Aggers or Ed Hocknull who writes for the Cricketer magazine, would have a far far far better handle on the state of lots of teams.
    Would Warne know who Ross Taylor is? I doubt it.

I dislike Warne as a commentator because he doesn't do his job particularly well. Mark Taylor in that box does a better job at describing why fielders are being placed where they are. Moreover, someone like Jim Maxwell on ABC Radio who is forced to give a better description (because radio listeners can not see what's going on) does a better job again.

I wouldn't put Warne in the Top 5 of anything at the moment.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Australia 385 & 369/6 declared have defeated England 251 & 353. That's 3-0 in the series and Australia have regained the Ashes...

Boo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Australia win the ashes. Lehmann has made a huge difference
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    I doubt that Mr Warne would know anything about the ODI series between Pakistan and Sri Lanka, or the Indian tour of South Africa, or the West Indies tour of NZ, whereas I suspect that someone like Aggers or Ed Hocknull who writes for the Cricketer magazine, would have a far far far better handle on the state of lots of teams.
    Would Warne know who Ross Taylor is? I doubt it.

I dislike Warne as a commentator because he doesn't do his job particularly well. Mark Taylor in that box does a better job at describing why fielders are being placed where they are. Moreover, someone like Jim Maxwell on ABC Radio who is forced to give a better description (because radio listeners can not see what's going on) does a better job again.

I wouldn't put Warne in the Top 5 of anything at the moment.
    Didn't realise I was supposed to care what you think of his personality or his ability in the commentary box.

Fact remains: the guy understands how the game works better than virtually anyone. You don't become the greatest spin bowler in history without such ability.