Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashes Cricket

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts

Re: Ashes Cricket

Quote Originally Posted by webberf1
    Well no sh*t he has the inside word,
    Then don't make out like he thought of it all himself, flog. Now that I'm reminded of it, Rodney Hogg had been on radio here In Melbourne talking him up, so it's not all just the cricketing mastermind that is Shane Warne. Rodney was saying it despite the fact he talks a lot of **** a lot of the time.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    I doubt that Mr Warne would know anything about the ODI series between Pakistan and Sri Lanka, or the Indian tour of South Africa, or the West Indies tour of NZ, whereas I suspect that someone like Aggers or Ed Hocknull who writes for the Cricketer magazine, would have a far far far better handle on the state of lots of teams.
    Would Warne know who Ross Taylor is? I doubt it.

I dislike Warne as a commentator because he doesn't do his job particularly well. Mark Taylor in that box does a better job at describing why fielders are being placed where they are. Moreover, someone like Jim Maxwell on ABC Radio who is forced to give a better description (because radio listeners can not see what's going on) does a better job again.

I wouldn't put Warne in the Top 5 of anything at the moment.
    Didn't realise I was supposed to care what you think of his personality or his ability in the commentary box.

Fact remains: the guy understands how the game works better than virtually anyone. You don't become the greatest spin bowler in history without such ability.
    not really , Shane warne talks a lot of the obvious sense. But he's also guilty of promoting spinners like Michael Beer,Ashton Agar,Steven Smith.
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese:

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Didn't realise I was supposed to care what you think of his personality or his ability in the commentary box.

Fact remains: the guy understands how the game works better than virtually anyone. You don't become the greatest spin bowler in history without such ability.
    Didn't you say this?

A lot of people dislike him because they're pussy ass little armchair whiners, but when it comes to cricket he knows what he's talking about just about more than anyone.
    I think I laid out a pretty reasonable case which suggested otherwise. Does the chap "understand how the game works better than virtually anyone"? How can that be if he probably isn't even aware of what is happening in the country next door?
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

The Ashes has been excellent watching. Great stuff, can't wait for the last two.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    I think I laid out a pretty reasonable case which suggested otherwise. Does the chap "understand how the game works better than virtually anyone"? How can that be if he probably isn't even aware of what is happening in the country next door?
    Because simply knowing statistics isn't the same as understanding a cricket match.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

My view is that the Poms thought they had a great victory in England in their last 3-nil win over the Aussis. I felt that series was much closer, and certain umpiring decisions involving Kawaja and Broad spring to mind; not that I would claim that the Aussis deserved to win. But our guys played fighting cricket, and that loss merely spurred them on.

The Poms arrived with hubris, having smashed the Aussis in the last three series. Well, when you analyse the play, the only day's play the Poms can claim to have won was the first day in Brisbane, which created a false sense of superiority, because they lost in every other day played. And to add insult to injury, Swann was smashed all over the ground by Watson which preceded the greatest hiding any bowler ever received in Test Cricket when Bailey smashed Anderson for a record score in a single over in Test Cricket. I don't know how Hopalong Broad will bowl at the MCG, but both Swann and Anderson will need council ling before they start bowling at the G. Then of course there is Prior, who seems to prefer to let balls slip beneath his pants.

It will be interesting to see the Poms bowling attack on Boxing Day.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

slightly off topic , but it's awesome to see young Indian batsmen face up to Dale steyn , Vernon Philander and grind them to the dust...

well played , well played

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Sorry! but I cannot watch this on my TV. It would have been a treat for me.
    Wait a minute - Dale Steyn is the #1 bowler by the ICC. I must be missing something here.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

...........and Vernon is the #2 bowler.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

SWANN SONGt

Owing to unforeseen belting by Shane Watson, the above mentioned has decided he's had enough!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: SWANN SONGt

Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    Owing to unforeseen belting by Shane Watson, the above mentioned has decided he's had enough!!

does look that way , but swann's been immense for england...and offies always struggle in england. Even the throffies struggle there , so was a surprise seeing him take that decision.