Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Maldonado confirmed at Lotus

Good news - this will keep Lotus on the grid, which is important.
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, it does keep men and women in jobs at the team, if it was really getting that serious. And if they have taken "Pastor's Packet" then clearly they were....

Also, every sport needs a boo boy I guess and rather than boo one that CAN drive, there is now scope to boo one than can't - at least not so well anyway.
    Real Race Cars Dont Have Doors....

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    Imo Maldonado is an idiot who is lucky to be in F1 at all, let alone in a top seat. Yes, he can be quick on his day, but I can think of no other redeeming features. I just hope Force India have something decent up their sleeve for next season (aside from merc engines) and hulkenburg doesn't waste another year
    It's true that Maldonado is not a top quality product. In 2012, he had a car that could be on a podium more than once, but he threw away too many opportunities to bring home good points. But still, I wouldn't be so harsh on Maldonado as to say he doesn't belong in F1. There are plenty of drivers in F1 who are worse than him. Just look at the top 5-6 drivers leading GP2 series in 2012. Most pundits stated that this cohort is considered pretty weak and no team has interest in them. But once the 2013 season starts, Van der Garde, Chilton, and Gutierrez suddenly have seats even though none of them was even runner up in GP2 title fight. (Davide Valsecchi was the 2012 GP2 champion.) At least Maldonado won a GP2 championship, and a year later a Formula 1 GP.

And by the way, when we talk about drivers who don't belong in F1, how often is it because the driver is simply too slow? Most of the time. That's another reason I'd like to see Maldonado remain in F1. With all his faults, he has demonstrated that he has good speed, he can be a good qualifier, but he needs to learn to be more consistent and stay in control of his emotions in the heat of battle.

What Maldonado needs right now is a serious jolt. At least Grosjean improved his consistency in 2013, but Maldonado still gets involved in spats on the race track. It would be nice if he lost his sense of financial invincibility. A lot of drivers whose seat is in danger tend to suddenly deliver better results towards the end of year, but Pastor always keeps cruising along the same way, getting into a crash with Sutil in USGP on the first lap, with no fear of losing his seat. For example, I don't know why PDVSA signed a 3-year deal with Lotus. They should have signed just a one year deal, pending on Pastor improving his consistency.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    Good news - this will keep Lotus on the grid, which is important.
    True. Was reading an article in our local car magazine about the status of F1 at present. They say that besides the big four - Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes & McLaren - the other teams survive from race to race on "tiny" budgets. Scary!
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Well put, Zako. I'd still say a fast, inconsistent driver is worth a lot, because when they find that consistency they become dynamite. When I first saw Maldonado in GP2 he looked like a potential star... He still does. His biggest problem seems to be that he's a douche, but he's not exactly alone on the Formula 1 grid in that regard!

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts

Maldonado is arrogant and delusional (recently he stated that he is sure he can get a seat even without PDVSA backing). He is a kind of a villain character, which adds a bit of color to the F1, something that a lot of drivers lack these days. Even if you don't like him, I think it would be more satisfying to see him first demolished by someone like Grosjean instead of just fading away.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

A good driver but a stinking attitude.

Shame Hulkenberg didn't have the cash to back up his obvious talent. I do hope he secures a decent drive in future in one of the top three teams. Maldonado can race stock cars in South America as far as I am concerned.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by henners88

Shame Hulkenberg didn't have the cash to back up his obvious talent. I do hope he secures a decent drive in future in one of the top three teams. Maldonado can race stock cars in South America as far as I am concerned.
    Sadly, we have an awfully large percentage of the grid that needs cash over talent. Shame.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko

Sadly, we have an awfully large percentage of the grid that needs cash over talent. Shame.
    And far too many CVC members and their daughters buying £80 million houses and living the high life off the profits. What better way to maximise profit, take it away from the fans who love it.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko

And far too many CVC members and their daughters buying £80 million houses and living the high life off the profits. What better way to maximise profit, take it away from the fans who love it.
    One day, the teams will learn to work together, to agree a price cap. They will keep pushing CVC/Bernie for more money - as they should, but if the y spend less, they can show a big profit. As soon as it is clear that to leave F1 a millionaire does not involve entering it a billionaire, then more teams will enter.........
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.