Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Re: Scottish Independence

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    They want to keep the pound for the same reason EU countries wanted to adopt the Euro, as it makes trade between the two countries much easier. Having to change currency on crossing the border would be a major headache, that and given that the currency can vary in price with respect to each other it can mean that, for example if you're a manufacturing company based in Scotland and so want to pay your workforce in Scottish pounds, but your main market is in England so the money you get for your goods will vary. Better to have this fixed.
    Currency Risk always a problem for trans-nationals but with electronic banking, funds can be settled immediately. Besides which, this issue already exists when Scottish manufacturers deal with Europe, or China, or the United States, or Japan or... (ad nauseum).

Again, you could always set up hedge funds to migigate currency risk, which major firms already do.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Scotland having it's own currency would indeed be the most sensible solution. However I think they went with the 'keep the pound' situation because the electorate won't like the idea of having to change their money when dealing with rUK businesses, and such would be much less likely to vote 'Yes' in any case.

Latest results are that No is still in the lead, but all the negativity that has come out of London recently is tipping many into the Yes camp.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

I agree Mark.

I know its a pain to change currency, but there are going to be many tricky issues to overcome. I think the vote will probably be NO, but as you say its currently beginning to lean more towards Yes.

*By the way I may have asked this before so sorry if I have.

But would Scotland lose all connection to BBC and start there own Broadcasting company?
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Admin

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    But would Scotland lose all connection to BBC and start there own Broadcasting company?
    That's one of the details which would have to be worked out. Certainliy Scotland could continue to contribute and keep the licence fee etc, equally it could decide to walk away. Notably you can watch the BBC in most of Ireland.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Ah thanks Mark. Never been to Ireland for more than a day, so I didn't know that. So yes that could be the answer to that question then.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Admin

There is a wider question of course, that while viewers in parts of Scotland may be able to receive the BBC, would it still have Scottish programming, news etc. No doubt an independent Scotland would wish to set up it's own broadcasting.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

This reminds me a story. Back in -97 I was studying in Edinburgh for couple of months. I lived in this dorm (which looked like a ship). One day I was heading in the dorm's kitchen room with frozen pizza and wondered why the hallways are totally empty? Usually they were packed with teenagers. I saw one student and asked where is everybody? He said try the tv-rooms, there is a football game going on. I cooked my pizza and on the way to my room, I looked one of the tv-rooms and it was full of people watching a football game. I couldn't care less about it so I continued to my room. A little bit later I heard yelling and shouting from the hallway, just outside of my room. I opened the door and saw about a dozen teenagers literally fighting in the hallway. There were guys fighting against each others I saw a couple of days earlier spending time together? I yelled;"STOP!!" And they did. For about a second. Then I went to the janitors and they came and stopped the brawl. Later I heard that the football game was Glasgow Rangers vs. Celtics and it ended nil-nil.
    Another Flying Finn

Admin
    Looks like Scotland will be switching to driving on the right
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ce-road-scheme

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Teehee
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Looks like Scotland will be switching to driving on the right
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...ce-road-scheme

Well you know right is right.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...