Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will CDs die

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Will CDs die

In the line of music formats we still have vinyl going strong albeit in a niche market but cassettes have died as we don't need to analogue formats

CDs are just a digital storage mechanism and since there are much easier ways to deal with audio files which my today's standards are relatively small files it's almost certain the CD will disappear. I suppose 30 years is a good run for any format.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Re: Will CDs die

Mine already have. Most went in boot fairs, some went on Music Magpie, and a lot went up the tip. In their place 2 hard drives backing each other up, each taking less space than a VHS tape and accessible from any device on my network. The CD player in the car has been used once in its life, everything else coming from my phone.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts

Yep. I’ve been recently trying to get rid of much of my cd collection. I tried to sell some of them to a pawn shop and they didn't want anything to do with them (no, it's not because of my eclectic musical taste ). I even offered them for free but the shop still didn’t want them as no one simply buys them anymore.

I ended up giving quite a few to a nephew and the rest are in boxes collecting dust in the basement .

Similar to Dave B, all my music now resides on a high capacity external HDD, about the size of a paperback novel.

I don’t think a cd has ever been inserted into the slot in either of our family vehicles.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts

"Will CDs die?"

I thought they were dead already.

I also have a whole bunch of CDs as well currently positioned in the bookshelf in the living room.

Nowadays mainly all my music listening is done with Spotify or Youtube.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

I have a massive movie DVD/Blu Ray and music CD collection. While I store a lot now on hard drives, there is nothing quite as satisfying as fingering down a row of DVD's late at night until you find the one you want to watch
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts

I have hardly played a CD in my home for the last year or so...mainly played music from my computer...In my car though, some of my favourite CDs get a lot of rotation. Most likely though, CDs are on their way out but like 555 said, still there is nothing like taking a CD out of a jewel case, putting it on the player and blasting the hell out of it while looking at the artwork/liner sheet.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have about 450 movies that I converted from my DVD collection to MKV files and store on a NAS box. My Blu-Ray players are on the LAN and can play the MKV movies. I've not got a Blu-Ray drive in my PC yet, but will do and will start to convert those. Currently have 8TB of storage. The other NAS box is for music and photos etc. Normally buy a CD, rip it, then flog it..... CD's do, apparently, deteriorate over time. And what with Spotify, and now Netflix etc, CD & DVD's will gradually die out IMO.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

I still use CD's in my car but at home its the iPhone steamed via Wifi to speakers around the house. I read an article on this recently and CD's are less redundant than you think. They still account for more than 60% of record sales which I was very surprised at. There are still people who buy music and wish to have a physical copy. I know I do.

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts

CDs will survive as a niche product. There always will be an audience, which likes to have something tangible, admire the coverwork etc. Same thing happened to vinyls. They occupy a very marginal share of the music market, but they have their customers.
    Llibertat

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz
    CDs will survive as a niche product. There always will be an audience, which likes to have something tangible, admire the coverwork etc. Same thing happened to vinyls. They occupy a very marginal share of the music market, but they have their customers.
    My point is that vinyl occupies a space because of the quality of the analogue sound it produces. Nothing else can replicate what vinyl achieves. However a CD is literally just a digital audio file put into a disc, which you can store on a hard drive - so I don't see any point in their existance.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums