Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Will CDs die

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Re: Will CDs die

My daughter just bought a BOSE sound system smaller than a loaf of bread for A$200 and I was amazed at the quality of sound. I was looking for a sub woofer somewhere in the room but this little unit was all there was. It's called"" soundlink minibluetooth speaker" and you can find it on the BOSE website . I am going to JB Hi-Fi down to Chadstone to get one tomorrow. I will also bring my ipad mini to Apple Store there for the guy to show me how it works. It has 64 mb memory so will then transfer all my favorite CD's to that as well as to my Samsung Galaxy SIII via my desktop PC. Any other music that I need will be downloaded by my daughter. My biggest concerns will then be what to do with my DENON tuner amplifier which weighs so much I can hardly lift it, as well as a miniature DENON soundsystem and a Sony sound system.
    I guess we all have to move with the times. The idea of using a turntable again especially when I am enjoying a Premium Shiraz from the Barossa Valley is just a non option. Also, I gave away al my vinyl LP's to the Sacred Heart Mission.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

The wife has asked that as a Christmas present she would like the CD of the latest Kings of Leon album. Which she has already had on her iPod for some time. So maybe there is life in the physical format yet!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Oh yeah baby
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz
    CDs will survive as a niche product. There always will be an audience, which likes to have something tangible, admire the coverwork etc. Same thing happened to vinyls. They occupy a very marginal share of the music market, but they have their customers.
    Sadly I'm one of them.

New cars aren't going to come with CD players

I still use my personal CD player from time to time. I love long journey's whether its the car or public transport. I love going through my massive collection trying to work out what I'm going to listen to - which isn't quite the same with 'shuffle' which to me smacks of laziness.

Sticking it on a HDD, cloud doesn't really do much for me. If I find something on YT and its still purchasable then its instantly on my wishlist and brought sooner or later.

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz
    CDs will survive as a niche product. There always will be an audience, which likes to have something tangible, admire the coverwork etc. Same thing happened to vinyls. They occupy a very marginal share of the music market, but they have their customers.
    Sadly I'm one of them.

New cars aren't going to come with CD players

I still use my personal CD player from time to time. I love long journey's whether its the car or public transport. I love going through my massive collection trying to work out what I'm going to listen to - which isn't quite the same with 'shuffle' which to me smacks of laziness.

Sticking it on a HDD, cloud doesn't really do much for me. If I find something on YT and its still purchasable then its instantly on my wishlist and brought sooner or later.
    I also use my portable CD player and my old stereo to play CDs from time to time, but not for nostalgic reasons. I have a small collection of CDs (about 150 of them), but I'm just too lazy to rip them into MP3. Ninety per cent of my new music comes in MP3 format and I only buy CDs out of respect for certain artists.

Ironically, on the day I broke my foot, I left all the accessories for my cell phone in the office. Now I'm confined to my apartment and have no cable to plug earphones into my Walkman. All I'm left with is my CD player. It's nice to revisit the oldies, but Aerosmith and the likes just don't sound they way they did when I was 16.
    Llibertat

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Kind of like floppy discs, I think they'll eventually just fade away as more and more people (and the music industry) move to other formats. What with MP3s and streaming music options, I think the popularity of CDs is certainly in decline (sales figures seem to confirm that, at least in the U.S.). From what I've read, it's not just music CDs that are falling in popularity. More programs are now being delivered through cloud services too.

I still have quite a few CDs (and DVDs). But more often than not, when I buy music these days, I usually just download a song or album from iTunes or Amazon. And I think I have most all of my CDs uploaded to iTunes, so I can't remember the last time I played one. The CD player in my car has an old Cars CD stuck in it, so I can't play one in the car even if I wanted to now.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts

The only time I use a CD is in the car and that's generally an MP3 CD. My car (10 plate Focus) has an AUX input but for some reason a standard 3.5mm jack is a bit loose and it suffers from some type of interference. In the main though I don't care as it's got DAB so I tend to listen to 6Music all day.

I much prefer getting things on vinyl these days. The format is limiting (i.e you can't rip it to an iPod) and expensive but there is a texture to the sound and the whole experience in throwing on an LP that you just don't get with digital music.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrJan
    I much prefer getting things on vinyl these days. The format is limiting (i.e you can't rip it to an iPod) and expensive but there is a texture to the sound and the whole experience in throwing on an LP that you just don't get with digital music.
    I hear there's a resurgence of the vinyl/LP format. And though I'm not sure of the quality, you can buy devices that will convert an LP to MP3. I bought one that converts cassettes to MP3. But in the year that I've owned it... it's yet to make it out of the box.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    I hear there's a resurgence of the vinyl/LP format. And though I'm not sure of the quality, you can buy devices that will convert an LP to MP3. I bought one that converts cassettes to MP3. But in the year that I've owned it... it's yet to make it out of the box.
    There is, it's why I've spent about £300 (a not inconsiderable amount for me) on a turntable, amp and speakers. I know that you can get equipment to convert to MP3 but my point was that it's not quite as easy as with CDs.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    Kind of like floppy discs, I think they'll eventually just fade away as more and more people (and the music industry) move to other formats. What with MP3s and streaming music options, I think the popularity of CDs is certainly in decline (sales figures seem to confirm that, at least in the U.S.). From what I've read, it's not just music CDs that are falling in popularity. More programs are now being delivered through cloud services too.
    I think the market will split but there will be a strong market for CDs for a long time.

For those not concerned about sound quality then MP3/AAC is the obvious format. For audiophiles however the choice is limited to vinyl and CD. For me CD is more convenient than vinyl so thats the format I use.

There is little that compares to the pleasure of mixing and matching different audio components to obtain the exact sound I want but there is little point doing so with compressed music files. The old audio saying still applies, Garbage In, Garbage Out.