Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

Goodbye and thanks Mr Webber!

With Brazil being Mark Webber's last race, I thought it would be cool to have a thread to remember the highs of his F1 career. He's achieved more than a lot of drivers do in F1 and can leave the sport satisfied I think. It would be great to see him out qualify Seb and win the race on merit. I'd be happy even if Seb moved over for him saying that. A final tribute to a team mate that kept him honest in terms of pure speed despite the age gap. I hope his last race is one to remember and not a Coulthard-first corner style swan song!

Cheers Mark

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Re: Goodbye and thanks Mr Webber!

Cheers Mark
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts

He has had more high points in his career than any other driver I can think of, and I mean "high" literally there

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Flying Scotsmen? No way, it's flying Bruce's more like!
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts

I will miss him! One of the few straight and honest driver left in F1.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts

Cheers mate, see you in the funny papers dude!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts

I'm going to miss Mark. He's one of my favorite drivers and a really honest guy. I feel that it's tragic he is leaving the sport without one win under his belt this year and a championship under his belt another. But I'd rather that than he have done a Jenson on it and been gifted a championship. As for the last race, if there is any justice in the world, he will win it after Malaysia. He deserves one final win!

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts

I wonder how honest he is going to be once he is out of Red Bull's grip?
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts

Good driver. Career that roughly consists of two halves. 2002-2008 punching above his weight in midfield, including some stunning qualifying laps. At that time rated as a driver, who could potentially challenge for WDC in the right car. 2009-2013 the right car finally arrives as does the strongest team-mate he has ever faced. Lots of podiums and good results, but now viewed as "underperforming" compared to the first phase.

One of the main weaknesses I can see is that he seems a bit allergic to fragile tyres. From 02-08 period his worst season was 2005, when you had to drive the whole race on one set of tyres. Also he lost performance since the switch to Pirelli in 2011, finishing far behind Vettel in the championship every season compared to 2009-2010, when it was close.

A pity that the last season hasn't paint his abilities in the best light as he is far-far behind Vettel in the points. But that seems to be the usual story - drivers are usually already on a decline in their final season, that's why they retire. However, do we know anybody, who has exited F1 with a win? Alan Jones won the last race of 1981 and then retired (though came back a few years later). Mansell won at Adelaide in 1994, but of course he still went on to participate in two races for McLaren. Häkkinen won 2001 US GP, but it wasn't quite the last race. Winning your last race would be a unique achievement, considering mostly drivers are on a low while going out and retire with disappointing results.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

I'm looking forward to his book (if that happens) when he reveals details of Red Bull behind the scenes. Hopefully it'll contain things he is unable to discuss right now for PR reasons.

To be honest I don't think Webber's heart has been in this season. I think he's just seeing out his contract and focusing on his Porsche duties which start the Monday after Brazil. It's cool to see Red Bull have released him from his contract early but it's within both parties best interests I suppose.