Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iconic F1 Cars

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Iconic F1 Cars

Hello everyone, and thanks for reading my post.

I'm in my final year of my degree for University, and have a final year project to do. The project I've choosen is the CFD Analysis,(Aerodynamics) of a front wing section on a Formula 1 car. The way I'd like to do it is compare the most iconic car from each of the decades, so from the 80's onwards (procinding my supervisor agrees) This will allow me to show how the front wings have developed over the past 30 years. Also with the wings being simpler in the 80's compared to now, it will allow me to build up my skills using the software slowly before undertaking more complecated wing designs.

This where you come in, if you could list your most iconic car from those decades I will note them down. I will then look to see if the information required such as wing dimensions if available to design them. Also, any information you have that could be passed on in terms of websites and books I can look at would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

Re: Iconic F1 Cars

Bit difficult to come up with one car from each decade ilist. In the 80's for example there were huge rule changes i.e. the death of ground effects and turbos.
    From the 80's I would suggest the Williams FW07, possibly the best ground effect car ever built, but the front wings on these cars were for show, in fact the Brabham BT49 of 1981 did at times run with no front wings attached. If not the Williams then the MP4/4 was the most dominating car of the decade, winning all but 1 race in the '88 season,
    In the 90's any Mclaren would do
    And for the naughties it would have to be a Ferrari possibly the F2003 GA.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by anfield5
    Bit difficult to come up with one car from each decade ilist. In the 80's for example there were huge rule changes i.e. the death of ground effects and turbos.
    From the 80's I would suggest the Williams FW07, possibly the best ground effect car ever built, but the front wings on these cars were for show, in fact the Brabham BT49 of 1981 did at times run with no front wings attached. If not the Williams then the MP4/4 was the most dominating car of the decade, winning all but 1 race in the '88 season,
    In the 90's any Mclaren would do
    And for the naughties it would have to be a Ferrari possibly the F2003 GA.
    Thanks anfield5, the Ferrari and McLaren MP4/4 were one I was considering.

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts

How about the "sabretooth/walrus" Williams BMW of 2002 (or was it 01)? I AM getting old.

It was radical but not very effective so that might be a problem.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    How about the "sabretooth/walrus" Williams BMW of 2002 (or was it 01)? I AM getting old.

First half of 2004
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Quote Originally Posted by Storm

Was this iconic or moronic?

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

I suspect that the Brabham BT20 may have had bolt on wings as early as 1966.
    I could be wrong but the Lotus 49 was probably the first car to knowingly sprout wings.

The Lotus 88 was probably the most advanced ground effects car and it was so good that it was banned without ever being raced. Actually it probably technically wasn't illegal but Frank Williams had a tanty and cried to the FIA... boo hoo hoo.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    I suspect that the Brabham BT20 may have had bolt on wings as early as 1966.
    I could be wrong but the Lotus 49 was probably the first car to knowingly sprout wings.

The Lotus 88 was probably the most advanced ground effects car and it was so good that it was banned without ever being raced. Actually it probably technically wasn't illegal but Frank Williams had a tanty and cried to the FIA... boo hoo hoo.
    I love the twin tub 88 it was another bit of Colin Chapman brilliance, but I would suggest it was illegal as at speed the second chassis was pushed to the track, meaning that it was below the minimum ride height/clearance rules, this was in effect because the outer chassis was fixed directly to the suspension which was illegal. It's a pity because I would have loved to see it racing.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anfield5
    I love the twin tub 88 it was another bit of Colin Chapman brilliance, but I would suggest it was illegal as at speed the second chassis was pushed to the track, meaning that it was below the minimum ride height/clearance rules, this was in effect because the outer chassis was fixed directly to the suspension which was illegal. It's a pity because I would have loved to see it racing.
    There have been a couple racing in Historic F1 in Europe, but sadly they seem to have disappeared in the last few years. I haven't seen them since 2008.

http://www.squit.co.uk/photo/hf108/hf1/12a.html
    http://www.squit.co.uk/photo/hf108/hf1/12_1.html
    http://www.squit.co.uk/photo/hf108/hf1/11e.html

The second photo gives you and idea of the "minimum ride height"

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

50's - Maserati 250F
    60's - Lotus 49
    70's - Lotus 79
    80's - McLaren MP4/4
    90's - Williams FW14B (I think the Tyrrell 025 'X-Wing' was certainly memorable, if not exactly iconic)
    00's - Ferrari F2004
    Forza Ferrari!!