Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Re: The Movie Thread

Sounds like my kind of docu movie, will check it out
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts

Just seen Blue Jasmine by Woody Allen and I liked it. Cate Blanchett is great as one of Allen's usual neurotic characters and I'm impressed by the way she expressed depression, anxiety, panic attacks. The story reminds me of Tennessee Williams's A streetcar named Desire but this time it happens in nowadays San Francisco. Just noticed that Mr. Allen's latest movies are related to the cities I'm obsessed to visit: Barcelona, Paris, Rome, San Francisco....

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    Now I've read it's made by Kar Wai Wong, one of the best directors of our times and the kung fu is just a collateral theme of the movie.
    Have you seen his other films? I doubt you'd go far wrong with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    Now I've read it's made by Kar Wai Wong, one of the best directors of our times and the kung fu is just a collateral theme of the movie.
    Have you seen his other films? I doubt you'd go far wrong with any of them.
    No. Unfortunately none of them was on our screens.
    I missed even this one.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts

I missed even this one.
    I'd strongly recommend getting the DVD of In the mood for love. I'd even go so far as telling you to PM me if you don't like it, I'll send you the expenses....

Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    I missed even this one.
    I'd strongly recommend getting the DVD of In the mood for love. I'd even go so far as telling you to PM me if you don't like it, I'll send you the expenses....
    Great! That reminds me of a coworker who asked me to repay the tickets after sending her to Rashomon by Akira Kurosawa.

OK, I put my hands up and admit I'm one of these old far!s who still believe in the magic of the cinema hall. I mean an art movie can't be watched properly anytime and anywhere. For me - and I think for all real cinephiles- going to the cinema and watching a movie with other people is a sort of a rite.

And now surprise, surprise.... After your strong recommendations I tried to watch this movie online. And found out that in fact I've seen it on TV in the years when our public television thought it's its mission to educate masses. In my country the movie is known as "'An impossible love'' and I remember I watched it because it was presented as that year's Cannes revelation. Unfortunately I couldn't remember the director name. And yes, it's one of those movies that you either like it very much or don't like it at all.
    I also admit I was thinking I should have seen it in a cinema. I mean for such a slow, poetical and atipical love story I need to transpose in the atmosphere and I can't do it at home.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your suggestion, it's definitely a movie for sensitive people and I'll try to see it again with the eyes of a ten years older person.
    And congrats for your special taste in movies.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts

Just saw "Rush" last night .
    Good movie .

It was a time that was raw and violent , and Howard finds a way to make you feel the speed .

See it on the big screen . It's worth it .

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts

I saw two movies the past weekend.

The stone of destiny, a very cheapish movie set in 1950 about a Scottish patriot wannabe, disappointed that
    the Scottish independence questions are being neglected by the politicians in London and that the Scottish people
    doesn't seems to care about it. He puts together a gang to do a heist to recover the stone of destiny.
    The movie is based on a real event.
    Not a very good movie, pretty poor acting and script.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_of_ ... %28film%29

Then I watched a slightly better (but far from particular good) movie called The Big year,
    A comedy/drama about three birders doing a big year
    (which is a bird watching competition) and their gains, struggles and sacrifices during their aim to spot as many
    birds as possible. A movie that have a few points and is more of a drama then a pure comedy.
    But still not that good. Featuring many notable actors and actresses such as Steve Martin, John Cleese,
    Owen Wilson, Rosamund Pike, Angelica Houston, Diane Wiest and Kevin Pollak.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan
    Just saw "Rush" last night .
    Good movie .

It was a time that was raw and violent , and Howard finds a way to make you feel the speed .

See it on the big screen . It's worth it .
    Please post a review on the History Forum thread
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wouldn't call myself particularly a Riddick aficionado, but I enjoyed Pitch Black and while The Chronicles of Riddick wasn't great, the attempt to create a grand sweeping fantasy mythology deserves a nod for the effort at least. I saw the new Riddick in the cinema last week and I enjoyed it too. Tying continuity into the story beyond just references through the Jones character was smartly done, and while the CG backdrops were a bit ropey in a few places I'd say that it's well put-together as a solid action flick.