Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

The Movie Thread

Post your thoughts on the latest movie releases, upcoming blockbusters and anything else, well, movie related!

Discuss!
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Well, after 10 months of (unwanted! ) abstinence I managed to go again to the movies. ( Fair to say that I was invited to go and for nothing in the world I would have turned off the offer). Wanted to see a Romanian set of 4 short movies called Short/4-Stories of black heart. In good Romanian tradition we went to the cinema just to find out that the schedule was modyfied and instead of that movie it was Woody Allen's Magic in the moonlight. Decided to stay, we were only 4 people in the cinema - at less than 3 it couldn't be broadcasted. . Anyway, it was like a private thing just for us. . The movie was good - a romantic comedy. Nice to see again that love is unpredictable and that even a knowledgeable man can be touched by ( what he thought it could be ) real magic.
    Then the stubborn Taurus I am, decided we should also go to that Romanian film. It was interesting but not a masterpiece, just 4 stories produced by 4 different directors and producers having in common death. Death is seen in different ways: with a dose of tragedy, with humour, with indifference.....
    Last edited by gadjo_dilo; 30th November 2014 at 23:01.

3. Likes: Tazio (30th November 2014)
    Then the whole world gets dumber because those productions are spread everywhere and are an important tool in brainwashing our heads.
    What I also regret is the lack of the real cinema magazines like we had in the past and of TV programms of cinema culture. I mean my cinematographic taste was formed by reading monthly, since I was just a kid, a very serious magazine where important film critics wrote reviews, analyzed different trends or talked about a certain topic with many references to the old movies. Some of these critics had also TV shows where we could also learn about the best of world's cinema.
    But what really worries me is that today even those who study the cinematographic art don't have such culture. I have a niece whose husband is a cameraman at an important TV station and he never heard of Italian neorealism and Bycicle Thieves....

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    movies upon movies made for Marvel comics and that sort

I haven't seen a movie for more than a year (in the hall), good you managed to go gadjo!
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post

I haven't seen a movie for more than a year (in the hall), good you managed to go gadjo!
    Movies used to be my hobby. I tried to see the most I could from the beginning of cinema. Even from the likes of Griffith, Fritz Lang or Sergey Eisenstein. Even when I couldn't see a movie I read about it.
    I lost this pleasure in the last 10 years. The one for theatre too. But from time to time I like to go again and feel the magic of a cinema hall. As I've said above I'm lucky with this cinema hall close to my home. It's attended only by cinephiles like me and at least I'm sure nobody will eat popcorn near me.Unfortunately we're but a few.
    I can watch loads of movies online but it's not the same thing. I love the movies of Milos Foreman from his Czech period. Then I wanted to watch his One flew over the cucoo's nest but never could. Not even on TV. Now I can watch it online but it's not the same. I tried a few times but quitted after half an hour. It would be different if I saw it at Cinemateca....

OK, I know I'm weird. Don't wanna bother you with such stupid ideas....

7. Likes: janvanvurpa (28th January 2015)
    Been again at the movies.
    This time it was a Belgian movie - Deux jours, une nuit, directed by Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne.
    It's the story of a woman who during a weekend has to convince her coworkers to give up their bonus just to help her keep her job. Marion Cotillard plays the leading role and is excellent as a depressive, emotionally unstable, who lacks self esteem - wonder why I'm always impressed by such characters......
    The movie lacks action, I can't see american people watching such thing but for me it was touching. I watched the heroine walking down the street with wet eyes and I saw a familiar image.
    Then it's the raw reality of relationships at the working place. For a moment I thought at the hostile environment at my own working place. What if I were in her situation?
    BTW guys, is 1000 euros a big amount of money in the western world?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JSlJPjEvzM

9. Likes: Tazio (19th January 2015)
    Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo View Post
    BTW guys, is 1000 euros a big amount of money in the western world?
    That is roughly the amount it would cost for one months rent of a very economical studio apartment in S.D.
    May the forza be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    That is roughly the amount it would cost for one months rent of a very economical studio apartment in S.D.

OMG.....

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo View Post

OMG.....
    The costs here are pretty obscene, and higher than in most of the rest of the country.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    The costs here are pretty obscene, and higher than in most of the rest of the country.
    But it's a dry heat...

And think of what you get for all that rent!

(what do you get for the crazy property values? You keep the riff-raff out?)
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat