Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    1) The Irrational Man, by Woody Allen
    With Joaquin Phoenix.

2) It was meant to re-watch- this time with the eyes of an adult woman- this piece of art and one of the most beautiful love stories in Russian cinematography: The Shooting Party, by Emil Loteanu ( who obviously is a romanian-moldovan), based on Chekhov"s novel. Not because last night it was full moon, but because my TV set was forgotten on a channel that I never watch and my brother also call up to tell me about it, and I was like, it's an old movie and it's late, I'd watch a bit. But I watched it all and loved it.
    I always loved chekhovian stories because of tthe passionate characters and melancholic atmosphere ( typical in fact for classic Russian literature).
    Once again the music of the film is great ( written by Eugen Doga, romanian-moldovan, too) and I can't stop from posting the scene illustrated by the most beautiful love waltz '' Sweet and Tender Beast"
    Watch beautiful Olea who's dancing with her old groom, but remembers that a few minutes before she was in the arms of the man she really loves, while a third man full of desire is watching her.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyReY5Q8qVI

Guess what...Now I'm reading the book.
    Last edited by gadjo_dilo; 3rd September 2015 at 09:04.

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    I watched a French movie a week or so ago and forgot to post here...especially for you gadjo as it had a Romanian actress as the main lead. It's about this french farmer who goes to Romania to find a "bride" to bring back and the young woman comes with him to work on his farm...not the type of movie I usually watch a lot of but I'm always impressed by French films. This was on TV5, its the Canadian French channel we get on cable.

let me find the link ->
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450664/?ref_=rvi_tt
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Lol, I know it, it was also on TV5. She's a Romanian actress, Medeea Marinescu, who doesn't even speak french.
    However I found it very weird. The situation is real, it's hard to find a french wife willing to live in the country and it's hard to find a job in Romania. But she was young and full of life and he was old and grumpy. An unlikely pair.
    As far as I know the movie was a hit in France.

4. Likes: Storm (3rd September 2015)
    One floor below - a Romanian movie directed by Radu Muntean.
    A guy lives in a block of flats and one day he hears through a door a fight between two neighbours. More than that he sees one of them leaving the flat. A few hours later the other neighbour is found dead in the flat but the involuntary witness choose to hide what he saw from the police and even his wife. Then the neighbour starts to insinuate in his life speculating his complicity. Don't know what the director meant with this movie, it's not one of my favs. For me it's just another confirmation of the decadence of the absurdistani society that lacks any feeling of responsibility and belonging to a community, a society with ultraindividualist values. I also disliked the main character, the typical absurdistani man whose gumption opens every door, who prefers to continue his relatively comfortable life.
    But the bitterest taste came from the feeling that we live in a society where we know more about our neighbours from Facebook than from personal interaction.

Last night TVR treated me with a movie I wanted badly to rewatch: A few days from Oblomov's life by Nikita Mikhalkov, based on Ivan Goncharov's masterpiece Oblomov ( unfortunately I haven't read this novel cos I don't have the book ).

Mikhalkov is one of my favs for his talent to tell things the Russian way and I feel deep emotions watching his films. But in this case it's something more special because Oblomov is me . That's why I wanted to watch it again, I first saw it when I was very young and in time I realized I have so many things in common with the character. Now that I did it, it was like watching my life in yet another movie dedicated to the Russian soul.
    Oblomov is a depressed guy, who hardly leaves his bed, unable to take decisions or when he does he's unable to carry them out. He's not just lazy as some would hurry to label him, he simply can't find out his role in society and unable to understand the meaning of life. He's more of a dreamer , matter of fact most of the time he dreams of his careless childhood when he was pampered by his mother.
    Things change when his best friend tries to change his life style and Oblomov falls in love. And what could be more disturbing than love for a shy person who's scared of life? As most of these stories end, Oblomov will sacrifice his happiness. In the end we're told that after a few years Oblomov died. But those who understood the character would know that his body died once while his soul died twice.
    And if you take the time to watch this rather slow movie and have a sensitive soul maybe you'll feel what I felt (am): Ilia Ilici Oblomov is still a lovable loser.

https://youtu.be/4GMO3BgUIOk

Highly recommended.

To sensitive depressed people.

8. Likes: cali (15th February 2020),donKey jote (5th November 2019)
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Be happy, Gadjo.

Even if it's an illusion, happiness still beats the heck out of sadness.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

C'mon, Jag......Do you know some stores where I can go and buy a few kilos of happiness?
    This movie shows that happiness comes, as always, unexpectedly, but requires acceptance of grief, regrets, or mistakes of the past life. But it's just a movie and real life beats the movies.
    However it was nice to see how the main character ( an excellent Banderas) who's a sort of a " dead alive" was able to find hope and to dream again.
    As for me, this movie was the fuel I need to function relatively normal for a week. Unfortunately, I can't find a decent movie for this weekend.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    I wish that I knew of such a store, Gadjo. I really do. I've lost two close family members in the past few months and my uncle's wife is dying of cancer as I type this. I can't let him be alone at his age and how and what I'm going to do about that is weighing on my mind. But rather than being sad about all this, what I've taken from this is that life is short and precious. And I should hold dear every second that I have (relatively) good health and the ability to look for true happiness, whether I find it or not. And even if I don't, others are counting on me, so I can't take the time to feel bad for myself.

You've mentioned depression in the past, I believe? The clinical type I've never dealt with. So I don't mean to speak out of turn. But I do wish you well and that you have some happy days ahead.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 311 Times in 168 Posts
    Hi Gadj
    I dont know much about movies, but as somebody who's spent all his life in Liverpool and has been a Liverpool FC fan since I was a small boy (quite a long time - I remember watching the 1965 FA Cup final on TV with my dad) results like Liverpool 3 : Manchester City 1 gave me a lift that saw me through the week when I was very down in the 1980's. I hope you'll be uplifted by that result this week.