Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coulthard Fan
    Deffently not Petrov that's for sure!
    Other then the Abu Dhabi race in 2010 he was extremely poor! He didn't deserve a seat in f1 in my opinion

I would choose Kobayashi and then close behind Sato an incredably quick driver just extremely unlucky! Maybe to much of a risk, I love the guy.

I have always been a fan of Karun Chandhok the nicest f1 driver ever fact! He regularly outclassed Bruno Senna and was extremely unlucky to not stay in F1! I would love to see him back in a faster car but doubt it will happen. I have always felt he had had the talent in any car he has driven.

If I was entering an F1 team
    Kobayashi and Chandhok would be my 2 Drivers!
    With maybe Sato as a reserve.
    Hmmm I like Kobayashi and Chandhok but feel that they are two of the most overrated drivers of recent times. Kobayashi is good but I think there are about 15 drivers who are better than him. I disagree that he was evenly matched with Perez: Perez almost won 3 races in 2012, and with each of his podiums, he was getting faster and faster bearing down on the leader. At no point did I see that from Kobayashi. With his 1 decent podium, he was holding on by the skin of his teeth.

Kobayashi may have also had a good front row, but remember Perez was on provisional pole at Silverstone till the session was red-flagged.

Most of all, Perez achieved this in just his 2nd season. It was Kobayashi's 3rd (not including 2 races and testing for Toyota).

I have to say that Karun Chandhok did NOT outclass Bruno Senna. 2nd compared to 10th in GP2 2008 and outqualfied 7-3 in F1. A ratio of more than 2-1. I can't understand why that makes Chandhok better...?

As for have-a-go-Sato, I think Davidson was quicker in 2007?
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty
    Hmmm I like Kobayashi and Chandhok but feel that they are two of the most overrated drivers of recent times. Kobayashi is good but I think there are about 15 drivers who are better than him. I disagree that he was evenly matched with Perez: Perez almost won 3 races in 2012, and with each of his podiums, he was getting faster and faster bearing down on the leader. At no point did I see that from Kobayashi. With his 1 decent podium, he was holding on by the skin of his teeth.?
    Perez got his podiums by going for the opposite tyre strategy to everyone else to compensate for a poor qualifying position. This is why in the latter stages of the races he got podiums in he looked much quicker than the cars around him, the exception being Sepang where I think he was purely fast. He didn't score a single podium by the conventional route, qualifying well then racing well. Kobayashi lost out on many points in Monaco and Spa where he embarrassed Perez in qualifying only to have Grosjean wipe him out in the first lap.

That said I think Perez and Kobayashi were pretty evenly matched except for where it really counts these days, sponsorship.

I have to say that Karun Chandhok did NOT outclass Bruno Senna. 2nd compared to 10th in GP2 2008 and outqualfied 7-3 in F1. A ratio of more than 2-1. I can't understand why that makes Chandhok better...?
    If I owned a mid/back of the grid team I'd snap up Chandhok as a test driver instantly. I don't care about his speed or feedback but as an ambassador for both the sport and whatever team he drives for he is top class. I've heard him in an excruciating interview with Nigel Roebuck where he was asked a succession of stupid questions and answered them politely, intelligently and concisely trying hard not to humiliate his interviewer and just about succeeding. He'd be a great asset, and who cares about his driving skills, its not as if testers ever get to test anyway.

As for have-a-go-Sato, I think Davidson was quicker in 2007?
    Davidson wasn't faster but Sato is a great example of a fast driver who never seems to learn from his mistakes, though in his time at SAF1 and now in Indycar he's showed signs of improving.

Of the current retirees I'd probably take Kobayashi, he's handy and hopefully still has his several million dollar cashpile. If he doesn't come with cash I'd think about Glock or Kovalainen too.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Sato was always a bit to brave for his front wing to take, but he was really exciting to see.

I think he was quicker over a season than Davidson however it was a tight battle.

Kobayashi has been really unfortunate to miss out on F1 this season, but with less teams and less driver changes these days it becomes harder to stay in F1.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    From my re-collection Davidson was a bit more convincing than Sato particularly in the second half of 2007. But little between them indeed.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    I have moved this thread to the History Forum where I think it really belongs
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    I have moved this thread to the History Forum where I think it really belongs
    I am not sure if it belong in history. Some of the retired drivers still have a chance to come back. I just read a rumor that Kovalainen is being considered for Caterham return next year. And then drivers like Kobayashi or Buemi, still belong in a pull of F1 drivers. It's a long shot, but still a shot.

Banned
    Liked 152 Times in 123 Posts

Re: The best of currently retired drivers

Heikki has certainly looked pretty good this weekend, hasn't he? If I'm looking for a driver for next year he's got to be on the short list.