Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85
    Certainly, I think it's fair to require the pit lane reporters to take reasonable precautions, such as wearing helmets, race suits, and what not. As a show viewer, I appreciate the video reports from Formula 1, V8 Supercars, and other pits. The video reporters who work there are doing an important job.
    I don't think we are really talking about reporters here though. As I understand it, it's rare for reporters to be in the pit lane during the race. Ted Kravitz from Sky doesn't think it will greatly affect him. It will mainly be cameramen and perhaps photographers who are affected I think.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Why wouldn't it make sense to have pit-lane camera operators in fire-proofs and helmets like the pit crews? Shouldn't a standard apply to anyone in pit lane?
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Why wouldn't it make sense to have pit-lane camera operators in fire-proofs and helmets like the pit crews? Shouldn't a standard apply to anyone in pit lane?
    I think you'll find it rather difficult to operate a camera with a helmet on. Anyway, I disagree with those who say that this was an overreaction. Cameramen, journalist and such people don't really need to be in the pitlane to do their jobs. The less people in the pitlane, the less likely it will be to have any accidents there. I think it was quite a sensible and reasonable decision, actually.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    ...I think the FIA should have spent a little longer addressing the issues rather than making a judgement less than 48 hours after this unfortunate incident occurred. ....
    Exactly. Is the FIA not investigating why the RBR pit crew failed to set the wheel properly in the first place? In what is supposed to be the “pinnacle” of motor racing, with standardized pit equipment, changing a wheel should be somewhat a routine task. If the FIA is serious about pit safety the cause of this failure should be investigated, and not, as has been said, apply a knee-jerk reaction and ban reporters simply because it happened to be one of them that was injured.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Exactly. Is the FIA not investigating why the RBR pit crew failed to set the wheel properly in the first place? In what is supposed to be the “pinnacle” of motor racing, with standardized pit equipment, changing a wheel should be somewhat a routine task. If the FIA is serious about pit safety the cause of this failure should be investigated, and not, as has been said, apply a knee-jerk reaction and ban reporters simply because it happened to be one of them that was injured.
    Take any routine job around the home, try to do it in a fraction of the time you would conscientiously do it, and see how well you complete said task.. More haste, less speed.......
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    What went wrong at RBR was that an accidental finger slip triggered the 'go' sequence.

Regardless of an even slower pit road speed limit, the number of people who can perform a pit stop there is the pressure of performing a very quick stop will always be there because that is the nature of competition so mistakes will happen.

Will the nature of pit reporting change? No. Reporters don't necessarily need to be stepping out into the middle of pit lane for their investigations.

I know they have a job to do but I get the impression cameramen take their roles for granted a bit because you do seem to see them standing gormless in pit road.

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Although it is a kneejerk reaction, I think FIA is doing something right for a change. There are too many people in the pitlane to begin with. We don't need cameramen standing right next to the pit crew. Do I need to see the pimples on the driver's face while he's getting new socks? No. While we're at it, the number of pitcrew members should be reduced. Most other forms of motorsport have a strict limit of how many people can work on the car. Pitstop get longer by a second or two, but the risk of error is reduced.
    Also, why do there need to be 5 or 6 people on the pitwall? All it takes are someone to supervise everything and one to hold out the pitboards. Everyone else could to his job just as well from the garage. The less people you have loitering about the pitlane, the less chance of an accident should something go wrong.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13
    I think you'll find it rather difficult to operate a camera with a helmet on.
    Helmetcam ?
    [youtube]uCy8Xtp2P20[/youtube]
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Ever watched the Tour the France? The Moto-Cameramen have helmets on and can do their job just fine

off-topic: Five minutes ago got the green light on a one-year contract as database admin for Volkswagen for more than 2 grand a week life's good ...
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Knee jerk reaction, we've had the current situation for years without any problems, you can't make changes like that based on a one off chance event.
    I never quite understand this attitude, Senna's accident was a one off?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.