Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

Time to start the Silly Season Thread

Now that the first domino has fallen:

Raikonnen to Red Bull, which leaves a vacancy at Lotus that is filled by the guy RBR was supposed to install, so Horner negotiates the Raikonnen deal which places
    Ricciardo at Lotus. But Lotus is rumored to be needing at least one pay driver, which means Grosjean is out, and . . .
    Maldonado to Lotus. Ferrari are ready to move on without Massa, so
    Rosberg to Ferrari, which means someone finally gets their Mercedes dream:
    di Resta to Mercedes. And with Force India switching to Ferrari engines (they are, aren't they?),
    Bianchi to Force India and Sutil stays. But back to STR, who now need to promote someone, so
    da Costa to Toro Rosso, with Vergne, who gets another year. Williams need to replace Pastor, so
    Grosjean to Williams, who retain Bottas.

Now on to the also rans:

Although I think he has done a good job, Giedo is likely to get the boot and
    Alexander Rossi moves to Caterham, joining Pic. The luckless Hulkenberg has nowhere to go so he stays, and his new teammate is an old employee:
    Massa to Sauber, replacing Gutierrez, whose only hope is to be a 3rd driver somewhere. The final piece is Chilton's teammate, and I'm going with
    Petrov to Marussia.

The only team that continues with their current line-up is McLaren.

There's an 80% chance that I'm wrong about just about everything above.

I really hope Valsecchi gets the nod at Lotus.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Well, I think you nailed the silly part. Nothing else, however. 90 % of these have pretty much zero chance of happening.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Keysersoze - is this a random list of movements or actually based on some rumours? :

Certainly I thought Rosberg has a multi-year-deal with Mercedes, which extends beyond this season.

Räikkönen looks increasingly likely at RBR, but the fight for the Lotus seat (or even seats) is really on for the rest of the season. Much like di Resta, Pérez, Hülkenberg were battling for the opening McLaren seat last year and it was difficult to make a choice for the McL team.

This time at Lotus? Di Resta and Hülkenberg should once again be in the running. Why not even the Toro Rosso boys? Sutil unfortunately may have ruined his chances with a glassing incident back in 2011. The departing Räikkönen may put in a good word for Bottas much like Häkkinen did back in 2001 for Räikkönen before leaving McLaren.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Keysersoze - is this a random list of movements or actually based on some rumours? :
    The prior I think.

Fun to speculate though.

One key aspect of the Raikkonen to Red Bull is Seb.

I mean lets be honest we would love to see a Kimi & Seb battle. Two top drivers in a potentially great Car.

But what would Seb think. I mean he has done so much for Red Bull would be tempted to have a word in their ear and suggest Ricciardo or Vergne?

Or would he be willing to show what he's made of and fight Kimi, which he would have too as he cant expect Kimi to be 7th or 8th in most Races. This will be interesting as hell

As for Lotus that would surely dent any ability to fight at the front.

Massa? I mean we have heard for a couple of years he would be replaced but as yet no news. Maybe Ricciardo if he was ignored by Red Bull.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens

Certainly I thought Rosberg has a multi-year-deal with Mercedes, which extends beyond this season.

Räikkönen looks increasingly likely at RBR, but the fight for the Lotus seat (or even seats) is really on for the rest of the season. Much like di Resta, Pérez, Hülkenberg were battling for the opening McLaren seat last year and it was difficult to make a choice for the McL team.

This time at Lotus? Di Resta and Hülkenberg should once again be in the running. Why not even the Toro Rosso boys? Sutil unfortunately may have ruined his chances with a glassing incident back in 2011. The departing Räikkönen may put in a good word for Bottas much like Häkkinen did back in 2001 for Räikkönen before leaving McLaren.
    If i was either Force india driver, i wouldn't be going anywhere unless the rBR or Ferraris eat is offered.
    at this point the force india is close to a likely race winner and a strong car. 2014 should be even better for them.
    I'm pretty sure hulkenberg is regretting his move every day. Then again who knew sauber would take such a step backwards.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I still think one of the Toro Rosso drivers will end up at Red Bull - someone quick but no threat to Vettel as it is blatantly his team. Plus if neither of them get the seat it really begs the question, why do Red Bull still own the team? What benefit does it bring?

I can see Massa staying at Ferrari too for the same reason - it's Alonso's team and he needs someone who accepts that.

Maldonado moving to Lotus? Maybe - they seem to be more capable of producing a half decent car whereas Williams aren't taking advantage of the large amounts of cash he's brought in (sadly). Plus Lotus don't have a confirmed engine supply for next year so they could take over Force India's Mercedes engines and also take di Resta off their hands?

The only other person I can see moving is Bianchi, he is far too good a driver to stay at Marussia for another season. With him being a Ferrari driver his options are either Sauber or Force India if they're switching engine supply. An outside bet for the no.2 Ferrari seat if Massa has another dip in form later this season?

Plus with the substantial rule changes next year there is plenty of opportunity for the pecking order to change, so personally I don't think the teams will also want to start messing around with their driver line ups any more than they have to.

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vhatever
    Well, I think you nailed the silly part. Nothing else, however. 90 % of these have pretty much zero chance of happening.
    My self-deprecating approach should have headed off such rude replies.

If you'd like to disagree, I'd suggest you note how jens, ever the gentleman, replied.

This annual discussion is at times light-hearted and speculative. If your purpose is rudeness (I've noticed it on other threads as well) . . . . butt the hell out.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    ^ He's a cranky little guy, isn't he?

Blind Freddy could see that your post was meant as a conversation starter, not a definitive statement

Quote Originally Posted by christophulus
    I still think one of the Toro Rosso drivers will end up at Red Bull - someone quick but no threat to Vettel as it is blatantly his team. Plus if neither of them get the seat it really begs the question, why do Red Bull still own the team? What benefit does it bring?
    Precisely.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13
    Massa? I mean we have heard for a couple of years he would be replaced but as yet no news. Maybe Ricciardo if he was ignored by Red Bull.
    27th May, this happened:

Pictures: Kamui Kobayashi tests Ferrari F1 car at Fiorano - F1 Fanatic
    Kamui Kobayashi had a chance to drive a Ferrari Formula One car at the team’s Maranello test track day.
    Kobayashi drove the car to familiarise himself with it ahead of his planned run at the Moscow City Racing event on July 21st.

And he's been running with AF Corse in the WEC. I can only hope.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    I'm gonna approach this from another angle. If i were a driver with a chance to take a seat at RB, i might question the competitiveness there come next season. Their "aero" run of a possible 4 titles may very well be over.

The way i read the new regs is that aero will be extremely limited and the new turbo energy package will play a much bigger role. So will RB/Renault be really the place to be? Is Vettel actually looking to move? If so, where?

Mercedes is already rumored to have the package, so Hamilton's looking set.
    Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent