Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts

Re: An offshoot of the mobile device thread: what would you

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben
    iron my clothes...
    I already have an "app" that does that, although I wouldn't mind if it didn't talk back so much

“If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    iron my clothes...
    I already have an "app" that does that, although I wouldn't mind if it didn't talk back so much

You need the 'selective hearing' app.......
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    iron my clothes...

That app works fine, but is often paired with the "sleep on the couch" app .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

That app works fine, but is often paired with the "sleep on the couch" app .[/quote]

The 'fill the car with fuel yourself then' app can combat this. However, the calendar full of what I did wrong and when app is brought out............
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    You can do most of those things already, such as putting in a trigger to say "when I leave work turn the heating on", however they require quite a bit of hardware and knowhow so aren't neatly packaged like you might want or expect.

But I already have things at home which are like "1 hour before sunset turn the light on".
    True enough. It is possible to find ways to program or set up devices to do some of the things I mentioned in the OP. But as you say, accomplishing these tasks requires more than a few disparate methods, which probably are not linked to a central means of control. I have read that some ultra-wealthy households have some amazingly sophisticated home automation systems. But since so many people have adopted smartphones, I look forward to more of us common folk having access to more capable systems in the near future.

In the last post (about location based control), I think that technology has some really amazing potential that really isn't in wide use at this point. And that one touches more on the predictive side of things that I originally mentioned. The lack of that ability is why I have said that the current crop of smartphones and their supporting OS's really aren't smart at all. As I hear so many people say now that there's not much else that smartphones and their OS's can do, I think back to a 40 meg hard drive that I bought in the mid/late 80's... the salesman told me that that was as much storage as I would ever need. So I believe we are still in VERY early days with smartphones.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

All I want my phone to do is do what it was designed to do, make and receive calls, period! Now with these new phones they have so much crap on them it takes 5 days to boot them up when you get them, then they suck your battery dead, then they want you to update at every Wi-Fi spot etc etc. Oh for the days of old when a phone was a phone and virgins were plentiful
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    All I want my phone to do is do what it was designed to do, make and receive calls, period! Now with these new phones they have so much crap on them it takes 5 days to boot them up when you get them, then they suck your battery dead, then they want you to update at every Wi-Fi spot etc etc. Oh for the days of old when a phone was a phone and virgins were plentiful
    But the point of a smartphone isn't really as a phone, but basically having the computing power of a laptop computer ( from a few years ago) in your pocket.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts

But the point of a smartphone isn't really as a phone, but basically having the computing power of a laptop computer ( from a few years ago) in your pocket.
    That is very true. I do still use my phone a lot to call people (sometimes 2 hours a day), but it is also a device I use for everything else. Emails, texts, calendar are all inportant to my job and are handled on my iPhone. Christ we even use it to get the baby to sleep some nights!! The wonders of apps.

Well that's why I have a laptop
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    That is very true. I do still use my phone a lot to call people (sometimes 2 hours a day), but it is also a device I use for everything else. Emails, texts, calendar are all inportant to my job and are handled on my iPhone. Christ we even use it to get the baby to sleep some nights!! The wonders of apps.
    I use my phone for calls 99% of the time, the other 1% is for text messages and if the wife bbm's me. Otherwise, its just a phone for me!!! My wife had to setup my phone for me when I got it as it was about to meet the wall when it wanted to update and download a million things before it would work! All I wanted was to switch it on and make a couple of calls Maybe I'm just the worlds oldest 36 year old

I have a solution that will help you put the baby to sleep while saving your battery power...a shot of whiskey with the milk and viola...baby sleeping