My girl has been on my back because I have a very old cellphone (10 years old). She and her sister get new iPhones about every 2 years. From the data I've read, most people tend to get new cellphones or mobile devices about every 18-24 months. But I don't text, FaceBook or tweet. I use my phone to talk and that's it. So I've found no reason to get a smartphone and double my carrier bill. I do carry an iPod Touch, which I use to get real time information when I'm near WiFi. But even it's over 2 years old now. To me, there's just nothing earth shattering about what any of these devices can do right now.

What would change my mind?

For me, let's assume it's an Apple device, so I'll use Siri. But whatever Google/Android, BlackBerry or Windows Phone is using for voice commands would work too.

Siri, start my Jaguar at 6:15AM M-F if I'm at home and if the temperature is below 32 degrees.

Siri, instead of the Jaguar, start my WRX (AWD car) at 6:15AM M-F if I'm at home and there is more than 3 inches of snow in the 24 hour forecast for a 100 mile radius of my home.

Siri, start the coffee maker at 6AM M-F if I'm at home and at 10AM on Saturday and Sunday if I'm at home.

Siri, send me one alert each, on the day before, for all of the birthdays that are in my contacts list - for my mother and my girlfriend, send me daily alerts beginning a week in advance of their birthdays.

Siri, when I am departing my home location, five minutes after I have left, adjust the thermostat to 78 degrees in the summer and 60 degrees in the winter. When I am within 10 miles of my home, traveling in the direction of my home, adjust the temperature to 72 degrees in the summer and winter.

Siri, always record any TV show with "F1", "Formula One", "GP2", "Le Mans", or "sports car" in the title/keyword section. And add 1 hour to any live broadcast. Never record a show with the word "Kardashian", "Jersey Shore", "Snooki", "Lohan", "Real Housewives" or "Palin" in the title or keyword. And if anyone other than me attempts to watch such a show, say the word "stupid" 8 times and then change the channel to the History Channel after 30 seconds.

Siri, send me alerts, until I respond to the alerts, whenever the stock ABC reaches a low of $29 or a high of $39 or when XYZ reaches a low of $44.49 or a high of $68.76.

Last task, Siri: on the morning of my birthday every year, tell me that Salma Hayek and Sofia Vergara called to wish me a happy birthday, while they were frolicking together in a hot tub on the French Riviera - and they wished I could be there. Note: if you detect my girlfriend's iPhone within 50 yards of me, do not deliver this message until she's left the state.
Thanks, Siri. You're a doll.

Those are (in my mind) just "simple" if/then conditionals that many of us worked with in basic programming classes in the 1980's. Some of that is just for S&G's (or because I have mental issues). But some are things that I really think would take mobile OS's out of the infant/toy state that I think they're in now. Within 10 years, I really don't see why all of of that functionality can't be delivered to phones and devices that are in our homes and cars - some of it already is... but it's hardly widespread, secure or reliable. As long as the delivery is reliable and secure, what would be the problem?

So what are some mobile OS tasks that you'd like to see, which would make you think that mobile technology is more where it needs to be??? Don't get hung up on a brand. Could be iOS, Android, BlackBerry, WP or the new FireFox. Heck, call it something that isn't even around yet.