Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vhatever
    i recall one of the british commentators saying something like "having the crane out there is more dangerous than just leaving the car". Sadly prophetic.
    That was Brundle saying that having the crane at T1/2 was worse than leaving the car there for the final few laps...but was that the same car? I thought it was someone else..
    but yes very sad thing, considering the sport has been made so safe overall and then to lose a life in a relatively non-risky part and that too of a person who actually helps out in keeping F1 safe.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    RIP

Was this during race conditions? Would SC made a difference?

Not that I'm criticising Canadians but a a guy was almost run over a couple of years ago.
    Worker dies in accident after Canadian Grand Prix - The Globe and Mail
    This on the scene story clearly states that the accident occurred after the race finished. Undo haste in removing the car would not seem to be a factor, the bizarre tragedy could be likened to an industrial accident, all to common and not confined to motor sport.
    The man has not yet been identified, he is described as a 10 year veteran track worker.
    This is a sad reminder of how dangerous are the conditions that track marshals around the world work under. Condolences to his family are in order today.

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    A tragic and sad accident.

Life entails exposure to many dangers, and each new day could be our last.

Certainly a review of the incident should be undertaken, but knee jerk solutions often cause more problems than they solve.

I wonder where the attention of the crane driver was focused, in that he was apparently unaware the man was no longer attending the rear wheel of the race car.
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Very sad, thoughts with all the other marshalls who were there a that time.

On Marshall safety in general, I do think more needs to be done to allow them to clear minor incidents without using the Safety Car, by which I mean enforce drivers to slow alot more around the one or two corners. Waved Yellows should mean slow down, but double waved yellows really should make drivers slow down significantly.

At the moment most only seem to lift slightly.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webberf1
    In that 3rd pic the shocking part is seeing photographers still trying to take close up shots of the underside of the Sauber (to sell to rival teams for lots of money) in the midst of a man dying! Shame on those people!!!!!!
    Though in some way this is more preferable than taking pictures of the dying man.

My guess if they witnessed this tragedy - taking pictures of the car would distract their minds from what they'd just seen.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    RIP Mark Robinson

F1 was

Link to news of young Canadian killed at Montreal.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Photographers take photos. Drivers race. You wouldn't blame a driver that continued a race after a serious accident and its not like the car underbody will make a penny in this case.

Sorry for the Marshall. Sometimes cock ups happen, especially in transient situations. That's life and at least he was doing something he enjoyed.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D28
    RIP Mark Robinson

F1 was

Link to news of young Canadian killed at Montreal.

Great article. I hope more drivers and officials from the sport reach out to the family and friends.

Absolutely terrible news. Condolences for his whole family. Its really sad news.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    horrible news, but this is in no way related to the recovery of the car under waved yellows or the proximity of the marshals to race cars - this happened after the race was finsished and they were returning the car to the pit lane. In that context this is an industrial accident - no less tragic - but in many ways something that should have been easier to legislate for - in my experience regarding any plant movements of this type, any operator and spotter combination should be in constant radio communication, the line always open and a persistent beep telling the operator that the spotter is holding the radio even if he isn't speaking for that second. in the event of falling and dropping the radio the operator would immediately cease movements until he knew that the way was clear again.

I would assume that these type of construction industry protocols are not followed to the letter in this type of situation, and maybe now they should be. Terribly unfortunate and ironic that had the incident occurred when the car was being recovered on the grass during the race he would have stood a better chance of survival given the softness of the wet ground - but that is just speculation on my part and in no way a comfort to the family of the unfortunate guy.
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.