Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts

Alonso relieved to race 'intelligent' rivals

I've come across this in Autosport:

Fernando Alonso said it was a relief to race with "intelligent drivers" in the Canadian Grand Prix after his Monaco experience.
    "It was nice to have these battles, a big race with some talented drivers," he said.
    "Intelligent drivers that you fight wheel-to-wheel with at 320km/h and you feel safe.
    "This is real racing so I am very happy to see this back after Monaco, which was a little bit different."

That's not quite a nice thing to say, is it? I would have expected the Pérez criticism to have ended about Monaco but it seems that Nando wanted to blow off some steam.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Alonso was passed about 4 times in Monaco so,he mustt not rate many drivers
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    I wouldn't look too much into it. He was basically saying what seb and web did after monaco: it was a boring ass parade of multi-million dollar sports car, and it's just good to be back and racing other drivers, not racing tire wear or the clock.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Tire wear doesn't make other drivers less intelligent. Alonso was an easy target at Monaco, and didn't appear to even put up a fight. I don't know why he chooses to take it out on other drivers, they didn't create his slow lap times, nor did Pirelli.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter
    Tire wear doesn't make other drivers less intelligent. Alonso was an easy target at Monaco, and didn't appear to even put up a fight. I don't know why he chooses to take it out on other drivers, they didn't create his slow lap times, nor did Pirelli.
    I think he was just frustrated at monaco, not taking a shot at other drivers.Pretty much all the drivers were frustrated with monaco save for rosberg.Basically, canda was a grand prix proper and monaco was a grand parade.

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vhatever
    I think he was just frustrated at monaco, not taking a shot at other drivers.Pretty much all the drivers were frustrated with monaco save for rosberg.Basically, canda was a grand prix proper and monaco was a grand parade.
    Alonso finished 20 odd seconds down in Monaco and 15 down in Canada so really not much of a difference.

There is a relative performance between Grand's Prix and on that basis Alonso has been consistent all year. As you say, he was probably frustrated and I could see how Monaco would frustrate drivers.

Going off topic a bit, Rosberg must've been truly frustrated out of his mind in Canada and the form reversal is way out there. Probably the worst performance of a race winner at a subsequent Grand Prix I've ever seen.

Rosberg went from beating Vettel in Monaco to finishing more than a minute behind him in Canada.

If this was horse racing he'd be p*ing in a jar...

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vhatever
    I wouldn't look too much into it. He was basically saying what seb and web did after monaco: it was a boring ass parade of multi-million dollar sports car, and it's just good to be back and racing other drivers, not racing tire wear or the clock.
    Uh, sports cars? No offense, but that just jumped out at me.

Monaco was largely the same this year as every other year that Alonso (or anyone else on the grid) has been there. You qualify well or you generally don't stand a chance of finishing very high. Alonso should have gone faster and qualified higher on the grid. He didn't do that, so...

“Pretty much the same thing happened in 2011,” says Mark (Webber) about Monaco 2013.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    Uh, sports cars? No offense, but that just jumped out at me.

Monaco was largely the same this year as every other year that Alonso (or anyone else on the grid) has been there. You qualify well or you generally don't stand a chance of finishing very high. Alonso should have gone faster and qualified higher on the grid. He didn't do that, so...

“Pretty much the same thing happened in 2011,” says Mark (Webber) about Monaco 2013.
    You mean this mark webber?

Mark Webber: Tyre trouble is taking fun out of Formula One | The Sun |Sport|Motorsport|F1

“It is also very strategic from the pitwall, as in ‘This is where the tyres are, this is what we’re capable of doing, can you please get us there?’ It is a really different type of racing, no doubt about it."

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Perhaps this is an example of what scrub Zo was referring to. The Boss was bro trying to catch him out by exiting out of the corner slowly to get Alonso alongside then just hit the brakes near the DRS line.
    Obviously Fred figured this out and bided his time very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXRbgnqIG_Q
    May the forza be with you

yea so do i, he was just tired