Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

****Breaking News**** Dick Trickle Dies From A Self Inflicted Gunshot Wound

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -Retired race car driver Richard "Dick" Trickle, 71, died Thursday from an apparent self inflicted gun shot wound, according to the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office.
    NASCAR legend Dick Trickle calls 911 commits suicide cemetery - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina |

Sad that he apparently couldn't find the help he needed to get over what ever was bothering him.

RIP Dick Trickle
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Oh Wow! He'll be missed. One of the winningest short track drivers ever. Came to Nascar late and was rookie-of-the-year at age 47. I always figured that coming to Cup was his version of a retirement plan. He won 2 nationwide races and a Winston Open.

I am just speculating here. My parents had a 70-something neighbor do a similar thing. He called someone and told them to come get him and then hung up and killed himself. He had been diagnosed with a terminal illness, so I am curious what news will come out in the next few days.

Sad news regardless, and it's hard on the survivors.
    ¿Quién es el que anda aquí?

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    No doubt it's sad news. See ya Dick :thumbsup:

The racing never ends in heaven.

Some older people just decide they are done.
    My grandmother was very religious, but at her 93rd birthday she shocked all of us when she said she was pissed off at God, because God hadn't taken her yet.
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [youtube]_9fB1IcTD48&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here's a snippet from the report at That's Racin'.

In 2001, Trickle’s granddaughter Nicole Ann Bowman was killed in a car accident in front of East Lincoln High School. She is buried in the cemetery where police found his truck and body Thursday.

Tom Higgins, a longtime Observer racing writer and friend of Trickle’s, said the former race car driver had been distraught after his granddaughter’s death.

“He never, ever got over that,” Higgins said. Observer staff writer Jim Utter and researcher Maria David contributed.
    Read more here: Racer Dick Trickle found dead in Lincoln County cemetery | www.thatsracin.com
    "You win some, lose some, and wreck some." - Dale Earnhardt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My dad's mother lived to the ripe old age of 98. She would ask my dad why God was making her live so long.
    "You win some, lose some, and wreck some." - Dale Earnhardt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm only speculating here, but I wonder if all the years of heavy smoking and drinking were catching up with him?

I'm still in shock though. Growing up and living in Wisconsin my entire life, everybody knew who Dick Trickle was, even non-race fans. He truly was a legend around here.
    I'm choosing Joey Logano as my avatar. I feel he is a worthy ally.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Very sad. He was always a favorite. RIP Dick.