Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Favorite Indy 500 memories/moments

May 1st is just around the corner, and so is the Indy 500. I thought it might be fun to share our favorite 500 memories and annual highlights. How about Jim Nabor singing Back Home in Indiana as the balloons are released? Little Al touching with Fittapaldi in Turn 4? yours?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My all time favorite was Bobby Rahal sharing the milk with the then dying Jim Trueman. I had tears rolling down my face. I still well up just thinking about it. Does anyone know where I can find a picture of that moment?
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bump day, 1998. I graduated from college and when I got home Jack Hewitt was making his run. I was so sure he wouldn't qualify but he stuck it in the field and his pit road interview is one I still remember. His first words were "Oh Sh*t!". Jack was such a natural at driving anything. It's sad he wasn't able to get to Indy until so late in his career. He was a great one to watch driving and to race against.
    So sad that thin skinned namby pambies infect a place and other placate to their wishes at the expense of others who have done no wrong.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Helio's win in 2002 with all the Tracy "overtake" drama included, Sam Hornish's amazing come back to win the 500 after a penalty and a bad pitstop. However I will never forget Arie's second win. I was very proud to be Dutch at that moment.
    October 16th, 2011 - One of the blackest days in the history of motorsports.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I find every 500 before 96 as amazing memories. Everything after that is just minors with dumb down spec.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My last 500 was '96. I was there for the '69, '72, '74-'96 races. Held my season tickets until 2000 (a 4 seat x 3 row block in the apex of turn 4. They were 6, 7,and 8 rows from the top) That's when I realized the mess kit was never coming clean and and walked away.

Quote Originally Posted by FIAT1
    I find every 500 before 96 as amazing memories. Everything after that is just minors with dumb down spec.
    Don't waste your time having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Jacques Villeneuve becoming the only Indy 505 winner in 1995 springs to my mind.
    And then, there are the memories that never happened because of the split: How great would it have been to see Greg Moore and Alex Zanardi battling it out for the lead of the Indy around 1997/98 like they did at Rio or Fontana?
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here are a few that spring to mind:

--Sullivan's Spin and Win
    --Bump Day '95, and the look on Al Jr.'s face, which told you exactly why 33 is not "just a number."
    --Mears/Mikey battle in '91

But if I had to pick absolutely one standout moment that trumps all others, I'd say the 2011 finish. Still, in awe of all the strategies playing out of those final 15 laps, culminating in that unbelievable finish.
    Brian Carroccio
    IndyCar Columnist, AutoRacing1.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Danny Sullivans spin and win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7tuBeLL0wg
    "For 80 years this place has run on tradition. From today forward it will run as a business." - Tony George (Failed businessman)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My all-time favorite moments of the Indy 500 were hanging out in Danica's garage and pit area the whole month of May. I miss that so much. No doubt the most fun I ever had at a track. I still love the 500 but its not the same to me without her there..
    Danica Patrick- 2013 Sprint Cup Series Champion