Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi all,

I caught the some of the spectator stage from Rallye Tatry whilst on holiday last week. I have some video and pics (nothing stunning but not poor either). Nothing commercial, just a car nut and his camera. I signed up here having searched and thought this might be a good audience. I see there is some older content here with mention of this rally, but not a lot very recent (ony a link and picture in the Czech forum).

Yesterday I wrote a post in what I think was going to be the correct section, to find I could not post any links at all until I have 15 posts.

I dare say having posted once (my report from Slovakia) I would post again, although it would be very occassional and by no stretch a regular. However I cannot muster 15 link less posts of any value beforehand. So if the post count measure is for preventing people sharing content from the start, it works. If it measure is for other reasons (spammers/robots etc) and someone wants to apply some discretion to my account then I'll share what I have. Otherwise, nevermind.

Looks like you have a nice forum otherwise.

Regards
    G.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    GSB, the problem we had was that spammers are joining only to post links everywhere. We found that, once the 15 post limit was enacted the amount of spam dropped by about 90% immediately, once they'd realised it was no longer possible to spam us with links.

Unfortunately that means that genuine people get caught up in it too. However we do want to encourage people to actually participate in the forums, have something to say and be a part of the commuinty. Rather than simply post a video and then disappear for a year.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I understand the challenge with spammers and 'bots.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GSB
    I dare say having posted once (my report from Slovakia) I would post again, although it would be very occassional and by no stretch a regular. However I cannot muster 15 link less posts of any value beforehand. So if the post count measure is for preventing people sharing content from the start, it works. If it measure is for other reasons (spammers/robots etc) and someone wants to apply some discretion to my account then I'll share what I have. Otherwise, nevermind.

Looks like you have a nice forum otherwise.

Regards
    G.
    The pertinent part is in bold. Out of my 7600+ posts over 13 years, I have a total of 3 posts of any value. The last one was about 10 years ago, where I told a fellow named Daniel to buy 500 shares of Apple Computer at $40 and below. Apparently he did (though he denies it now). We don't see him around much anymore. But every now & again, I get one of those selfie shots that he's taken of himself (with his new iPhone - inside joke, there) and whoever his latest supermodel girlfriend is, standing on the balcony of his Monaco apartment.

Jokes aside and absolutely no offense intended, but until people get to know you at least a little bit, expecting them to care whether or not you post a video link is asking a bit much. But don't get me wrong; we need more good posters. So most of us would hope that we'd get a chance to get to know you and you'd get a chance to get to know us. And until you hang out here for awhile, you won't know that avoiding troubled, twisted, annoying people (like me) is always the best option.

So once you think about it, in the greater scheme of things, 15 posts really is not too much for the board admins to ask, since those of us who are here a lot find spam to be incredibly off-putting.

P.S. Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel - but ya didn't hear that from me.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Admin
    Jag sums it up nicely, we like to see videos etc from existing forum members, and that's the key point, if you've just joined to post your video and nothing else, why? If we want to see a video made by a stranger then we can go to youtube and see millions of them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I catch a bit of Motorsport on TV, I go to quite a few motoring (although limited Motorsport) events and I like to point and shoot my camera. Then share the results. If I take part in an event I love being captured on film by someone, likewise I like reviewing others snaps or footage from an event at which I was also a spectator.

I didn't register to change your forum. You have a policy that works for you which is good if it delivers the balance you want.

I can't help think there could be a healthy discussion on the Rallye Tatry as a result of seeing some of the pics. An ice breaker if you like. I could have started a topic just to discuss, but compared to what I wanted to post it seemed a bit weak on content. In hindsight maybe I should have.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ridiculous restriction - how can all other forums keep everything clean without this restriction and this forum can't?
    why is sharing self made videos without posting comments a bad thing, especially if you have a separate thread for sharing videos?
    and why is this applying to users who already have posted (less than 15) legitimate videos before?
    if someone is watching videos (reading video thread) he couldn't care less about how many post this user has made - only thing that matters it if the video is good
    there are lots of users who are just reading posts/ watching videos and occasionally want to share a video that they have made - why do you want to bully them to not use this forum
    it's a public forum - if you want only videos from people you know then you should use a private Facebook group

not expecting an answer just want to let you know how stupid this restriction is and hope you get rid of it soon

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andres1
    ridiculous restriction - how can all other forums keep everything clean without this restriction and this forum can't?
    why is sharing self made videos without posting comments a bad thing, especially if you have a separate thread for sharing videos?
    and why is this applying to users who already have posted (less than 15) legitimate videos before?
    if someone is watching videos (reading video thread) he couldn't care less about how many post this user has made - only thing that matters it if the video is good
    there are lots of users who are just reading posts/ watching videos and occasionally want to share a video that they have made - why do you want to bully them to not use this forum
    it's a public forum - if you want only videos from people you know then you should use a private Facebook group

not expecting an answer just want to let you know how stupid this restriction is and hope you get rid of it soon
    To answer the last part first, this is not a public forum. It's a privately owned forum which the owner keeps available for most people to use. He also pays the bills to keep the forum up. Therefore, he can make any rules he chooses.

This is also intended to be, mostly, a discussion forum about racing and rallying. While videos can and do add interest to some subjects and in certain circumstances stand on their own, the discussion part is why the forum exists. Youtube exists as a place for people whose real interest is in posting or watching videos.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Admin
    The reason the 15 post limit applies is that we were getting of the order of 40-50 spammers daily registering just to post links. The moderators and myself do this part time alongside other jobs, there's no way we can keep up with that level of attack, and putting in guess the word pictures etc doesn't work.

The 15 post limit meant that the spam went down from those 50 registrations a day to a more manageable 2 or 3.

So I think 15 posts is a small price to pay, in any case it's a discussion forum first and foremost, to talk about racing and rallying. The likes of youtube exist to allow video sharing for those not interested in contributing to discussions.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    The reason the 15 post limit applies is that we were getting of the order of 40-50 spammers daily registering just to post links. The moderators and myself do this part time alongside other jobs, there's no way we can keep up with that level of attack, and putting in guess the word pictures etc doesn't work.

The 15 post limit meant that the spam went down from those 50 registrations a day to a more manageable 2 or 3.

So I think 15 posts is a small price to pay, in any case it's a discussion forum first and foremost, to talk about racing and rallying. The likes of youtube exist to allow video sharing for those not interested in contributing to discussions.
    If it helps keep the Forum Spam free and makes it easier for you, thats fine with me.

Good stuff
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy