Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory
    From the south-most point of SS1 to north-most of SS2 is stated as 1hr 4mn on Google Map. I'm usually 5 mn slower per hour than Google. Then you have to factor in walking time at both ends of the journey. Could be done seeing the top 12 cars (which means you should see the leaders as it's tarmac) then make a dash for it. It does seem unnecessary travel from Trier to Koln and back though, can't decide yet myself
    That's exactly what I figured out too. Plus if it's 1 hour on navigator in normal conditions, it won't be during the rally. This is left to be decided.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jiipee64
    Flights and Hotel booked.
    and car rental, as usually $)

Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts

Something else too...

Quote Originally Posted by megadrive
    and car rental, as usually $)
    Jep.

And something that may not be so highly appriciated in this forum...

Tickets to Eau Rouge too...
    "San Romolo opettaa"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hello all.

I am thinking of going to Rallye Deutschland this year and I have not been to a rally before, much less this one. I have several noob questions and I hope you will forgive me for asking them. I have visited the official site, but was hoping to get some viewpoints from people who have been there.

I am trying to combine Rallye Deutschland with the Belgian F1 GP on the same weekend. I was thinking of going to the rally on Friday and the GP on Saturday and Sunday. I assume that I'll need to buy that rally pass, even though I am only going one day. Correct?

On the Friday, how much is generally possible to see, realistically? There are 6 SS.
    Is it even possible to get to them all, or do I have to pick and choose?
    Which ones should I definitely see? How far away are the car parks, generally, from the viewing points? Will there be many people on the Friday, or is that more reserved for Saturday/Sunday?

Should I attempt to visit the Servicepark in midday and try to get back to the stages? Is there enough parking near the Servicepark? Or is the Servicepark located in the city and will be difficult to park around there?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saghen
    On the Friday, how much is generally possible to see, realistically? There are 6 SS.
    Which ones should I definitely see? How far away are the car parks, generally, from the viewing points? Will there be many people on the Friday, or is that more reserved for Saturday/Sunday?

Should I attempt to visit the Servicepark in midday and try to get back to the stages? Is there enough parking near the Servicepark? Or is the Servicepark located in the city and will be difficult to park around there?

Previous years I've managed to see four stages on Friday. The first and third stage of the loop. Depending how many cars you want to see, it is possible to make a quick visit to the service park between the morning and afternoon loops.

Parking distance from the stage varies and on some stages where there is road side parking it also depends how early or late you arrive. Could be as close as few hundred meters or around km on some stages. I think they've indicated the distance from the parking to the stage in the rally magazine. And you don't need to worry about huge crowds (that's also pretty much up to the location you go to spectate).

About service park and parking. I can't say there's a lot of room close to the service but there's enough and most of the road side will be filled with parking cars.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saghen
    Hello all.

I assume that I'll need to buy that rally pass, even though I am only going one day. Correct?

No need to buy the rally pass but you will have to pay 10 euro for a stage pass so if intending to go to 2 different stages each on 2 occasions that will be 20euro. The service park is 10 euro PER VISIT and really won't be worth trying to visit across lunch if you are determined to fit 4 stages in the day. I say this because 4 stages (watching the top 15 WRC) is really only possible by the 1-3-4-6 itinerary. You'll need to park at the Trittenheim end of stage 1/4 in order to drive to the Wintrich end of the 3/6 stage if you look at the schedule this is very tight which means you wouldn't have time to drive back to Trier, park (and that can take some time as normal weekday restrictions apply) see something and then get back to Wintrich. You'd be better watching the WRC2 competitors and perhaps the historic rally cars. I will probably do 1-3-4 then service to watch as the WRC cars arrive back in the afternoon. If you want to see more then a rally pass and taking in a Thursday stage and service makes economic sense.
    Just booked my ferry and reserved my camping place this morning!!
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    I'd recommend only 3 or even only 2 stages for Friday as well, if you are new to spectating rallies. Be it 1-3-6 or 1-4-6 stages of the day. In Germany you get the national event and historics between the WRC stages, so it's not much waiting, much more action. In Friday I'd do service park either early in the day or after all stages. Parking can get difficult, but if you have healthy legs... Also, don't get rally pass for just one day, single stage entry tickets are better option. But perhaps you like the rally so much that you don't want to leave for Spa... :-) Oh, and buy the spactators' guide. Crucial help.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    Well, last year I actually did service-ss1-ss3-ss4-ss6-service. And on each stage we watched pretty much every car till the last S2000, so about 50-58 minutes at the stage, longer on SS3/6. So pretty much everything is possible, just a question what you're after really.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for all the answers, it's appreciated.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    German rally seems to be most realistic for me this year to go.